Thread: Lake Iliamna

Cool Lake Iliamna

Has anyone ever done much (any) rainbow fishing in Lake Iliamna? I have heard a lot about the huge rainbows at the inlet and outlet of the lake but nothing about the lake itself. I work in Iliamna a lot and never see anyone fishing the lake. There must be some monsters in there!

There's gotta be some incredible fish out there. Lake Illiamna holds a year-round population of freshwater seals, and you know those pinnipeds aren't going hungry out there. I would guess that there are also some lunker lake trout as well. We caught some out of six-mile lake last year, which is just up the Newhalen from Illiamna, so I imagine they're downriver too. Certainly somebody local knows where to hit the fish through the ice. Do you not have anybody there in the town you can ask?

-Brian

In the past it was pretty common to see locals from Iliamna ice fishing out in front of Lower Talarik Creek in the spring....I doubt they were there for the grayling Not sure if this is still the case as I haven't talked to anyone from the local area for a while. I think that the lake probably holds some awsome fish, but they are probably localized in specific areas. Maybe in Intricate Bay area? Would be fun to explore with some big trolling spoons and downriggers.....I'd also be willing to bet that there are some lunker pike in there as well.

I had a teacher that would head out to Iliamna every summer after school was out. The next year he would show us pictures of rainbows that would blow your mind. It was unreal, I'd almost throw the photoshop card if he knew how to use a computer.

Short of ice fishing for trout the only lake fishing I have heard of is trolling for Lakers in front of some of the incoming creeks in the spring. With all the awesome stream/river fishing we have in the area the lake is more for transport than anything. There might be some lake fishing when the weather is down and float planes can't get off and the lodge is not on moving water.

I have fished the lower end (Kvichak) for 30+ years and have wondered if someone got serious about Lakers what they could come up with. On Naknek Lake in the Bay of Islands, spring time we get into some Lakers but nothing real big 6-10 lbs but got to be lunkers in there some where.

George

I watched a fishing show where there were fishing shoals of the lake with orange wooly buggers and catching big bows
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.