Thread: Best wool outer shell (anorak or jacket)

Default Best wool outer shell (anorak or jacket)

Has anyone encountered any wool jacket or anorak that impressed them?
    Am considering wool shell garmet for bushwacking/firewood/fire tending duty. I am looking for some cold weather gear that is less likely to be damaged/punctured than delicate synthetics. Have looked at columbia galatin range jacket at cabelas, empire canvas works wool clothing, and shrewbows.com wool clothing. Appreciate any recommendations/opinions.
    Thanks

I'm pretty impressed by the Empire canvas stuff as well as Filson...if you can swallow the price tag.

I would also recommend the Filson - it isn't cheap that is for sure but of much, much higher quality than the Columbia IMO.

I've had the Columbia, Woolrich and Filson... pretty much worst to best in that order.

The Columbia had a pretty loose weave and let a lot of wind in. The Woolrich was better but oddly backed with a canvas liner and the coat weighed an absolute ton for the warmth.

Filson had the tightest weave and best warmth to weight ratio- but at that price you could very well expect it.

I know this is going to sound strange. I always thought it was strange, but I am thinking of giving it a fair try. I have several wool navy blankets, the good ones. Anyway I have been afield with German Hunters who wear a green wool poncho looking blanket thing. The sweat just pours off of them, but they are never cold. I don't remember if theirs had a hood.

I have an LL Bean wool shirtjac with a Wind Stopper liner that I've come to appreciate very well.
    Now what ?

Empire Canvas is great stuff. I have several of their garments and love them. My Arctic Anorak is by far my favorite outer shell for the extreme cold. I can wear tons of stuff under it and it sheds show and wind likes its nobodies business. They are a top quality company. I like Filson too but recently they have been outsourcing a lot their clothing to other countries and still charging the extreme prices. That turns me off a bit. If I'm going to pay 140.00 bucks for a shirt they could at least pay an American worker to make it IMHO.

Have to seen the Stormy Kromer line? They seem to be stand up and I have always loved their hats. Strait from their website

"Where are Stormy Kromer products made? Now it might be cheaper to sew Stormy Kromer products overseas, but it just wouldn’t feel right. Instead, we bring in the best fabrics on earth and put them in the most talented hands in America. We’re pretty proud of that. It shows in our quality, and you’ll feel it the moment you put our products on."

To me this is worth giving them a try. Support companies that support Americans. They have a really nice wool coat line.

http://www.stormykromer.com/
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    I like Filson too but recently they have been outsourcing a lot their clothing to other countries and still charging the extreme prices. That turns me off a bit.

Have to seen the Stormy Kromer line?

http://www.stormykromer.com/
    I know it does me! Was very dissapointed that Filson started importing a big chunk of their stuff and sadly the same with Carhart.

I have seen the Stormy Kromer but haven't tried it out- my wife has one of their hats and its permanently on her head all winter, its that good.

i am wearing a filson coat in a snowstorm and thought it was great. the price is high, but it is worth it! in the elk picture i am wearing a pendleton hooded camo parka ( cabela's ) and like it very much. the coat is warm but breathes nicely and the hood is great in the wind. my .02.
    happy trails.
    jh

BEAGLE WEAR made in USA. http://beaglewear Try google first. This stuff is waterproof and the wool is treated to shed water and stains. The Benoits family of trackers have been using it for like the last 10 years. All wool garments cost more than other fabrics.
    Happy tracken.

I have a bowhunting custom wool coat from graywolfwoolens that I like. I bought it for bowhunting but end up using it for late season duck hunting and riding open boats in the ocean when it is cold, wet, and snowy.

I got the lined version, but it is too warm and too heavy for september archery elk hunting (which is what I bought it for). Works great for late season rifle high country horseback trips.

http://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/home.php?cat=20

BTW - they have GREAT customer service and these are made in the good ole US of A.

Just got my Fred Asbell wool pullover (www.gfredasbell.com) Outstanding! Well made I got the gray heavier weight and it is very warm. Fit is generous enough for layering. Priced very reasonablly. I would definately recommend them.