Thread: Thinking about getting back into trapping.

Default Thinking about getting back into trapping.

When I was younger I had a neighbor who was into trapping and kinda got me into it. But he usually would boil my traps for me. So I dont really have any clue how to go about boiling them. I know you use a type of wax and want to add a few things in like alder chips (My neighbor use to cut up small alder branches into 1 inch lengths and put them in his wax) or something to make them smell more like wood or other natural things. I plan on mostly using snares and I have an older wire box live trap for small game. I Was thinking about going into that trapping store off of the Parks Hwy just between mile 49 parks and Wasilla (by Tews) and looking at some traps but like I said its been a while and I am very rusty lol.

What Im looking at mostly are Fox, Coyote, and rabbit mostly. I have a few creeks near by So I was also thinking about maby going for some Ermine.

What traps would you guys recomend and what type of set ups. And How would I go about boiling the traps. Do you boil strait wax or do you have to mix in water with it?

Any advise would be appreciated.

For fox and yotes stick with the snares you will do good and they are small enough you can boil them in the house on the stove top and that isnt even really necessary just an extra precaution. For the ermine 110's or 120's will be more than enough shoot I have seen some people take them with the wood victor rat traps. But with a 110 or 120 you will have a very fast kill and you may even snag a mink if you are by water.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    For fox and yotes stick with the snares you will do good and they are small enough you can boil them in the house on the stove top and that isnt even really necessary just an extra precaution. For the ermine 110's or 120's will be more than enough shoot I have seen some people take them with the wood victor rat traps. But with a 110 or 120 you will have a very fast kill and you may even snag a mink if you are by water.
    Ok cool, Now I have never used a conibear trap before, I use to always use foot holds and snares. How difficult are they to set? And Should I build some small boxes to use with them with bait inside for Ermine? And I would be excited to get a mink! I know of some places near by, some small creeks and lakes I was planning on trying for ermine. When setting a trap for ermine should I look for specific sign or just be close to the water. And do the traps need to be on the ground or can they be up off the ground a bit. I ask this because I had another friend of mine who use to trap and I remember one time he had a creek flood over and his traps were trapped (lol no pun intended) under 1 1/2 foot of ice.

Coni's are easy to set by hand especially 110's and 120's you can get a setter tool that will make things go faster especially when you are wearing gloves things can get difficult but otherwise they are easy. You can set on the ground or up high and I dont know about down there but we already have a bit of snow up here so the sign would be evident. Box sets work great like you are describing and will cut down on incidental catches of other things like if you were setting on the ground many people use small planting pots to hold their coni's or the rectangular newspaper box's hold them perfectly you just have to cut some notches in the sides to hold the springs in place. Some people like to modify the triggers on conis with plastic or aluminum to make a pan as opposed to the wire trigger and holding the bait in the bucket is easy. I like to drill a hole in the bottom and run wire around the bait then put the wire around a stick or something on the other side of the hole to make it stay in place. It is basically the same setup as if you were going for marten just your bait choice and where you place the bucket will determine what you catch.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...html#Post32032

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...tml#Post146334

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...2179497/1.html

check out these threads for a visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Coni's are easy to set by hand especially 110's and 120's you can get a setter tool that will make things go faster especially when you are wearing gloves things can get difficult but otherwise they are easy. You can set on the ground or up high and I dont know about down there but we already have a bit of snow up here so the sign would be evident. Box sets work great like you are describing and will cut down on incidental catches of other things like if you were setting on the ground many people use small planting pots to hold their coni's or the rectangular newspaper box's hold them perfectly you just have to cut some notches in the sides to hold the springs in place. Some people like to modify the triggers on conis with plastic or aluminum to make a pan as opposed to the wire trigger and holding the bait in the bucket is easy. I like to drill a hole in the bottom and run wire around the bait then put the wire around a stick or something on the other side of the hole to make it stay in place. It is basically the same setup as if you were going for marten just your bait choice and where you place the bucket will determine what you catch.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...html#Post32032

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...tml#Post146334

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...2179497/1.html

check out these threads for a visual.
    Thanks! That helps out alot posting those links And no we dont have snow down here yet, but I dont think it will be more than a few weeks (or sooner, seen it snow once already just didnt stick) before we do get snow. Any Idea where to get newspaper boxes at? Do the newspaper places sell them to the public if you ask? If not I will see if Walmart in Wasilla still has some plastic pots for sale. And for Ermine what do YOU use for bait? I have some OLD scent (think it was ermine urine mixed with vasaline) in my garauge that I had when i was a kid. Do you use the urine scents or do you use flesh bait? If flesh what kind? or does it matter. Tomarrow, I plan on stopping by the shop I mentioned earlier (never been in there before though) and pickup some snares for fox and yotes and problubly some for rabbits and see if I cant pickup some coni's while Im there. I need to pickup a copy of the trapping regs, but i know it use to always start on the November 10th but im not sure if it still does or not.

I dont really target them but have gotten some in marten sets that were baited with some muskrat meat and lure. Some people also use beaver meat. I would think just about any meat they can smell with a dab of lure would work.

Well atm I dont have any beaver or muskrat meat available so would a piece of fish or chicken with some lure work alright?

Either fish or chicken will work fine for the ermine fish is great for mink but it can only be the heads and guts if sport caught fish You will see the details on this when you read through the regulations when you pick them up. Fish works great for mink and some like it for marten as well especially whitefish you might check and see if there is any at a local grocery store
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I still have a big bag of Salmon roe left over, I was thinking about maby trying that too. I will see if I cant find any whitefish and try that too. Im not going to start till I can get a copy of the regs and read through them for my unit and make sure im not doing anything I shouldnt. I figured Chicken and fish you can get easy at the grocery store thats why I asked about those.

I still have to get the traps and stuff like that so its not like im starting this tomarrow I figured its been so Long (and I had very little experience, Only caught one fox when I was a kid and rabbits) since I trapped and know I have alot to learn so I figured what better thing to do then ask on an ALASKAN forum where people live in my area and know exactly what we have and what to use to get em.

If I could get into some mink that would be awsome. Most the first i get I will keep. Im not in it for the money, more for my self then anything. When I was younger I use to take rabbit hides and tan them (salt, then rub in lotion. Not perfect but it worked) and use them as decoration around the house and stuff. But If I get something like a fox or coyote I may send it/them out to be tanned right.

You are how I was about 4 years ago I trapped with my grandpa when I was about 8 or 9 for about 2 years and I just kind of went along with him and helped here and there. Then throughout high school I was too busy chasing after the girls and now that im settled down I got back into it. My first year was very unproductive but helped with the learning curve alot. I did ALOT of trial and error and alot of reading on the trapperman.com forums and each year there after have been alot more successful nothing like otterman or alaskan22 but they have alot more supplies than I do and my line is very short maybe 2 miles since it is strictly on snowshoes since I didnt have a machine but I still did pretty well on the fox and marten. Dont get discouraged and keep at it and you will get more and more successful.

Well I have a snowmachine but I think I have water in the lines but im hoping to have it fixed before the snow hits. That and its a short track so I cant go to far off the beaten path. I problubly wont have a very big trapping line because I wont have to much stuff lol. Figured I will start off small and as I get better it will grow.