Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arctic coast

Default Arctic coast

I would like to know if anyone has done any boating on the north ,arctic,coast. I will be there for a long trip this coming summer. I would like to know about tides, weather, currents and winds.

The water level depends on the wind. If its blowing out of the east there is no water and a westerly brings water. The tide is about 8 inches. There are barrier islands similar to the east coast of the US, actually they remind me more of the Copper river flats than anything. There are bars that have a significant swell w/ at times a 10' break, but thats when its blowing out of the northwest. Its pretty awesome to see pancake ice and mini-bergs surfing curlers and smashing on the beach. Hopefully you can read water well because inside the barrier islands is tricky. The deepest water you'll find is 40 ft but it averages about 12 foot. Watch out in front of the river deltas because theres large uncharted flats. I've never really worried about rocks because I've never seen one up there. Camden Bay by Kaktovik is kind of rocky. Thats where ANWR is. East of there is Canada

I did forget to mention you should be cautious of oil company and early exploration debris like concrete chucks w/ steal sticking out. Watch out for floating drums and whatever you do don't touch one or it becomes your legal nightmare to dispose of

Default Fuel availability on the arctic coast?

Does anyone have any ideas on gasoline, boat fuel, in Kaktovik, Barrow, Wainwright, Point Hope, Kotzebue to Nome. Is it available along the Arctic coast? Approx. cost? Also Tuk in Canada by the mouth of the Mackenzie? When does the ice break enough on the Beaufort sea to get on this body? Should leads be open enough to cruise these waters by mid July? Any other infor people have I would love to have shared. Thanks. Mingo bearsunlimitedinc.org

Thanks for that information. It is very helpful. I have done a lot of kayaking in James and Hudson Bay with tough tides and tidal flats, up to 8 miles in mud. these are treachorous and can be deadly in storms. Nice to see little tidal actions. I understand water quite well and read it well from all my kayaking trips. I have researched weather and winds along the entire coast and the winds seem to blow off shore more in the summer. That will protect me from some of the higher winds and waves. I will be in ANWR for a week of backpacking and researching of the local bears. That is my job besides being an extreme adventurer. Thanks for the headsup on oil company drums. I probably would not like to adopt one.
    I understand the rivers quite well. I kayaked 500 miles down the Yukon last summer. Watched the shoals and bars as they developed. I have a fair amount of experience in large river estuaries. Good to know about the rocks. Both James and Hudson Bays are quite rocky. Local joke, if the rock just sits there it is a rock, if it moves it is a white bear. Many move!

Good luck and please keep us posted with pictures! Sounds like you will have a good time so long as the ice stays out.

This isn't like floating the Salt River! :-)

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the good thoughts. It will be a tough but interesting trip. The Salt would be a dream for sure. Never done it, to many people around. The trip will be followed daily with reports and GPS locations given each day for the full 100 plus days of the expedition. The site is bearsunlimitedinc.org. The trip will start in hay river on the Mackenzie and end in Whitehorse on the Yukon. I will traverse the complete north coast of Alaska then south on the Bering Sea to the mouth of the Yukon. Then a short 2500 miles to Whitehorse. All told over 5500 miles of Arctic travel. I would love to have more info about the area and that is why I am looking for people that live there.
    The purpose of the trip, bear research, environmental research and a great adventure. Tough one to.

yes, like AK has said, keep us posted!!...do you belong to any other forums that you post your adventers?.....larry

edit....ps., just read about about .org site!!

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

My Bears Unlimited website will be updated daily to show position and condition. A blog entry will be added as I call in. my site is bearsunlimitedinc.org. This is my non-profits site. I am a bear behavior researcher and adventurer. I also write a series of educational childrens books called Attu's Adventures. That is what is funding this expedition and all the research that will be performed. Checkout the site and watch as I get closer to Hay River. Hope that you enjoy what I have written to. Lots of bear and environmental articles.
    Mingo

drums are old from early exporation and military , I doubt if any are from last 25 years if not even longer than that.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I will watch for these drums and any other non natural obstruction. If I made it to the alutiens i would be interested in old WW2 structures but not this stuff. Thanks for the headsup though and i will take your info and use it accordingly.

Any idea on tides and any salt water intrusion into small streams in the traveled areas?

Mingo USMC. Not retired, always a Marine. Thanks for your service my friend.

Bears,

For fuel, I'd contact Crowley (www.crowley.com) and see what they have available along the way. Those places don't have anything like a harbor/fuel dock. Crowley does most of the fuel delivery out there and would be a good place to start.

Thanks for the contact. I did call crowleys in Kotzebue and was told that fuel should be available in most if not all small towns along the coast. That is a relief. Now if I could find fuel along Banks Island area and up north into the Victoria Islands heading north towards the North Pole. Need to checkout Santa's Place. lol. Any ideas for this area? Thank you Mr. Fish.

A weather question. In Az, Cal and Wy, Ohio we have rain, snow, sleet, hail, but not ice. On the arctic coast they have snow, fog and ice in the late spring and even throughtout the summer. What is ice and what will it do to a boat on the water?

I have another question. Has anyone used an electric fence for polar bears. I will be camping with them for close to a month alone on the Alaskan and Canadian coasts. Usually I work with browns and they have never bothered me in a camp. Polar bears can be a bit more curious! Any good stories out there!

If you want to know about the Arctic Coast from Canada to Alaska, a top notch expert with more more experience than most people experts currently with the USF&WS and ADF&G. Sandy Hamilton knows every square inch so to speak of the coastline, Islands, rivers and wildlife from Polarbears to Eiders. He had many many years of experience. He is the one that flys USF&WF and ADF&G for their bear reasearch, capture, tracking etc..... No he probably has not put a boat in the water, but he does fly low and slow. He's one heck of a guy with a great sense of humor and knowledge. I'm sure it you contact him, he could give you a pointer or two. He may not be able to give you some info that is propietary with the FEDs, but I'm sure he would give you more info than you will need. He may want a report on your expedition for data in his huge memory bank! Tell him ATAC Mark sent you. BTW, be patient on waiting for a reply, he is a very busy man and is always flying.

http://arcticairalaska.com/

Thanks for the lead. I sent Sandy a letter and i hope that he will help out with info. Thanks again.

Mingo

I will tell him about your quest next time he flys in here! I'm sure he will get in touch with you.

Thanks. I appreciate this.

Your Welcome

I would also contact Majik Imaje on this site as he is up around Barrow.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast