Thread: 2010 Yukon Moose hunt success (Koyukuk) DM 830

Unhappy 2010 Yukon Moose hunt success (Koyukuk) DM 830

Well the long and short of it is we tagged four moose and were all successful. I was going to write about the trip and all the challenges that were overcome but now I am just posting a picture in hopes someone will see my moose rack and tell me where it is. DM830 Dulbi river moose 54.5 spread, taken from my back deck two days ago. download.jpgYukon 2010 267.jpg Will

Wow that sucks I'd keep an eye on your neighborhood, more than likely it was someone nearby. I'm not sure who would come looking to steal a set of moose horns.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

That really sucks! Sorry for your loss man.

It never ceases to amaze me what lowlife scum would steal someone's "stuff", let alone a hard-won memory in the form of antlers. Although someone lazy enough to steal an antler rack probably wouldn't spend the money to get it panel-mounted by a taxidermist, it may be worth alerting the taxidermy shops in the local area to BOLO for your trophy. You never know, the antlers may show up at someone's shop. I'll keep an eye out.

You sure a bear didn't grab it as a chew toy out of the back of your truck or garage?

Congrats on a good moose hunt and time on the river Will sucks someone took your rack though, hope you find it!

Three places I don't even stop for a traffic light...
    Palmer, Wasilla or Mountainview.

Sorry for your loss. It's hateful and tragic.

Taylor

I had the family look in the trees behind the house for them, but no luck. I will do a very through search when I get home but until then?? I did report them to the police to make it official. I sure was hopeful that the boys would find them in the woods maybe a little chewed.

I just asked because I had a deer "stolen". I was sooo convinced it was one of my neighbors and I was ready to wage war.. Until I heard the report of a large back bear dragging a "body" down my road on the same night it was stolen out of the back of my truck. Late Nov too.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Three places I don't even stop for a traffic light...
    Palmer, Wasilla or Mountainview.

Sorry for your loss. It's hateful and tragic.

Taylor
    Man, you said it.
    Proud to be an American!

Willster,
    Any thing I can do to help, I will. I know the time planning and expense. I hope you find your moose and I'll put out the word to my little detectives to be on the lookout. It's amazing what they can find out.

good luck!

man that sucks sorry about the moose rack. You think you live in Anchorage something. Just had to put that in here I do hope you fined them. Chris

Taken from your back deck? Looking at the picture and assuming that is the deck you are talking about my bet is dogs. I would hit the woods around your place again you likely will find it there. If not then some time knocking on neighbor doors will probably turn up something or someone who knows something. That is a big rack for a dog to haul all the way back home though some are freaking determined! It may be stolen but usually thieves are lazy opportunists and unless your back deck is visible to the road then a dog is more likely.

Have a friend put a add on craigs list wanting to buy moose antlers at 10.00 a lb. I think you will reel in the thieves! I say 10 a lb cause that is more than anyone will pay local. Keep a eye on ebay too.

Check with any antler carvers or taxidermy shops around or at least get the pic and the word out to them. If it is stolen, selling it is the only way to benefit. If they have pic in hand they might even catch who done it.

I made a few calls to people wanting to buy antlers and sent a picture or two out. I was hoping a dog drug them off but nothing to indicate that is what happened. I figured if it were an animal they would have taken it far enough to be out of sight and chewed on them. With the fences in the back yard and the only good cover being across the street I have had the boys out looking there as well. For now all I can do is wait to get home so I can walk the subdivision and look for them if that is what happened.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by willster33 View Post
    I made a few calls to people wanting to buy antlers and sent a picture or two out. I was hoping a dog drug them off but nothing to indicate that is what happened. I figured if it were an animal they would have taken it far enough to be out of sight and chewed on them. With the fences in the back yard and the only good cover being across the street I have had the boys out looking there as well. For now all I can do is wait to get home so I can walk the subdivision and look for them if that is what happened.
    I doubt a thief would take it to a taxidermist. If I were a bettin man, I'd say the horns either ended up on someone's cabin or were sold on the black market. There's a substantial market out there for antlers, to be made into everything from carved trinkets to medicine.

well im glad to see you got a nice bull, I had that tag too but didnt even hunt it, I went to anwr instead. like stated below in the post put a posting on craigs list for moose antlers thats where most local antlers would go for a quick sale or at least watch it, ebay is a good place to look to but they are not there yet, I sale and buy tons of antlers on there and will keep a eye out for that rack, ive had this happen to me before and it realy sucks!! I have to keep my antlers locked up in the trailer to keep em safe, people will walk right into your garage and nab em.