Thread: Using a .17 for ptarmigan?

Default Using a .17 for ptarmigan?

I have looked high and low through the ADFG website and nowhere have I seen the legal methods/weapons to take ptarmigan. I know you can take them with a shotgun. Can you use a .17 or a .22?

I wouldnt use a .17 unless you plan to shoot it in the head or there wont be much left of it.

If your going to use a .17 or a .22 make headshots, if you cant get a head shot off then dont take it cause if you hit the breast then you will ruin all the meat. If you use a .17hmr and you hit the bird in the breast its not ganna be pretty lol.

I have .17 fmj. They do not leave much of a hole on other small game that i have shot plus you get the extended distance. What I was asking is if hunting them with a .17 is a legal way to hunt them??

To answer your question yes it is legal.

Well I have seen a .17hmr do some pretty nasty damage before but they werent FMJ's. I know it is legal to shoot them with a .22lr so I dont know why it would be with a 17. And a .17 would give you a good distance advantage.

Just curios, what .17 do you have? Is it a HMR, there are a few diffrent .17 cals out there. One of them ( I forget what it is called off the top of my head) is only a .22lr necked down to a .17cal bullet. Im just curios is all

Yes you can but as mentioned head shots are a must.

I have a .17 hmr. I had to buy the fmj off of the internet. All of the stores around here carry the hornady v-max etc. which whild turn a bird into a feather bomb pretty easy! On second thought may just use the old trusty shotgun.

Sportsman's ware house has the .17hmr FMJ's I like you prefer them the V max does WAY too much damage. I shot a hare with mine on sunday and v max in the neck and it completely separated its head from its body.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Sportsman's ware house has the .17hmr FMJ's I like you prefer them the V max does WAY too much damage. I shot a hare with mine on sunday and v max in the neck and it completely separated its head from its body.
    Decapitation by rimfire lol nice. Bet it didnt feel a thing either.

I have thought about getting a .22mag or a .17HMR for bunnies but atm my Marlin model 60 works just fine. I would like to get a .17hmr or .22mag mostly in case I run into a fox while rabbit/grouse hunting.

While I wouldn't endorse the .17 as the gun of choice for this application I will pass this experience on; Several of us took ptarms with a .17 HMR while on another type of hunt. Due to the accuracy of the weapon, ballistic capabilities of the round, and the quality glass, head shots were easily accomplished from even significant distances by all of us. If a body shot were taken I believe the meat would be pretty destroyed.

I have a .17 Mach 2 (which I believe is what you are referring too). I don't think it would do the damage that the HMR would. Fast, accurate little round.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Well I have seen a .17hmr do some pretty nasty damage before but they werent FMJ's. I know it is legal to shoot them with a .22lr so I dont know why it would be with a 17. And a .17 would give you a good distance advantage.

Just curios, what .17 do you have? Is it a HMR, there are a few diffrent .17 cals out there. One of them ( I forget what it is called off the top of my head) is only a .22lr necked down to a .17cal bullet. Im just curios is all
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Hoytgirl View Post
    I have a .17 Mach 2 (which I believe is what you are referring too). I don't think it would do the damage that the HMR would. Fast, accurate little round.
    Thats it, I know they dont have the power of a HMR but I did think they were faster than a .22lr. Either way kind of a neat little round. Not very commen though.

Just got back from my first time ptarmigan hunting. Just used the shotgun. Did not realize they were that easy to get close too. That was a blast for the first few times because I actually felt like I was sneaking up on them....then I realized they would just sit there even if I walked right up to them. Not the brightest animal fun fun to shoot and good to eat!

Congrats. I have found that a .410 with light shot will be plenty for grouse. Some people like head shots with .17-.22 cal bullets for long range stuff, but I would only recommend that if you are a good shot with a good rifle. A .17 is typically a flat shooting round, so could easily be used for head shots if you do your part.

the 17 hmr is the coolest gun in my safe. i have never shot ptarmies with it but have killed alot of grouse and rabbits. and my buddy just killed a fox with his at over 100 yards, right behind the shoulder while it was running and dropped it like a bad habit.

congrats on the hunt shouthern. Ptarmigan arent always that easy to sneek up on if you get a group that has not been hunted before yes but i have found if you are hunting them after someone else in the same valley you are lucky to get within 50 yards, at that point the shotgun can stay at the truck ill use my rifle

Ive took Blue grouse with a .300 magnum after coming down the mountain from a day of deer hunting. Yes,,head shots.

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    Ive took Blue grouse with a .300 magnum after coming down the mountain from a day of deer hunting. Yes,,head shots.
    Now that you mention it I have never actually shot a ptarmigan with anything EXCEPT a 44 mag.