Thread: New to duck hunting

Default New to duck hunting

Hello
    I am new to hunting ducks and new to Alaska j have been going to the Palmer hay flats is that still a good place? Or is the ice to thick there? I don't have q dog and I am realizing that that limits me. I am just looking for some advice about where when and som help with techniques? And when is it too late to duck hunt?

Welcome to Alaska...My advice would be to either find a boat and hunt the rivers or buy a plane ticket and head south...

Seaduck hunting is in full swing..but will cost u some Bens..($100) if you dont have a boat or friend that does...I would head to Homer and look at the post "Homer Duck Hunt" Good info there.

Seriously...there are some birds still around and the temps are working for us at the moment....but by this time every year...even the diehards are having problems putting their decoys away.

Hayflats can provide some great shooting walking the slough...just need to move slow and be patient.. I have even had some luck setting up on it about this time each year.

Good luck and welcome.
    DH01
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

December 17th is when it is too late to duck hunt Palmer Hay Flats- season is closed in this unit.

There are always "park ducks" around through the winter. Most roost in town, but they still end up out on the mud flats at some time. Hard to hunt due to the small population and large habitat.

The wet grassy areas will remain iced until next spring. You will need to hunt the open water, and once the ponds are fully iced you will need to hunt the salt water where you need a good cold weather dog or a boat.

Thank youfor the advice what about use deeks which patterns work well and any calling advice or types of calls that work well?

duck calls work the best for ducks! but really got get a primos yo sista or the wench one those seem to be good starter calls. for decoys i normally just huck them out in a some sort of u or J shape with the tail going down wind and on the lake side. look on the internet i think DU has wind situations and decoy set up s on ther website

Thank youfor the advice what about use deeks which patterns work well and any calling advice or types of calls that work well?

what do you mean patterns????????????

By patterns mean to big spreads work well or small 2-3 birds with a couple groups working good out?

I am in the same situation. No boat, no dog. I have been going to palmer hay flats lately. Tried both sides of the knik bridge. No luck, whatsoever. No ducks, no grouse, nothing! A bit frustrated, but I will keep on trying. May be someone can throw a tip here for new comers.

have to find out what the birds want they are different every day it comes with time just got to get out there and try. use the search dealyo on here there is lots of stuff that has been through already. i use any where form 6 decoys to 60. in mn i used 200 when hunting big water lakes for divers some times that was alot of fun until u have to pick them up then not so much

A foot-only hunter is pretty limited, I think. A 12' canoe will pay for itself many times over in being able to access better areas.
    I don't have a dog either, but that will probably change soon. But a canoe or boat of some kind is essential in my opinion.
    I think calling is highly over-rated, probably because I sound like a party kazoo at it... The advice of being where the ducks want to be is gospel. Much of this game is just figuring out where they want to be.