Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why didnt we hear as many "wonder stories" back in the day?

Default Why didnt we hear as many "wonder stories" back in the day?

Okay maybe it's the interweb and everyone being more readily connected.
    I usually read here and one or two other forums every night and it seems that in the last few years everyone has some tale of the( insert game animal here), which of course was record book size, that they easily tipped over at 6-7 hell even 9 hundred yards.

Now I wasn't around back in the way back, but I do have an extensive library of classic books and vintage magazines, which I've read for years. And with the exception of Elmer Keith, who is a favorite BTW, there is hardly a mention of anything being shot at, much less routinely knocked off at 800yds.

I know technology has improved to some degree, it's my job to keep up with those developments, but I'm not sure it's come this far. I own and use a scope that was built in 1962, put it next to it's new equivalent and it's just about as bright and plenty reliable as adjustment goes. Heck you can't say it's new high speed acrtridges, the 300Wby has been around since the 40s and none of the new stuff is that much faster. I know the average factory rifle shoots better out of the box but the old ones still shot pretty acceptably, and there were custom rifles back then too.

Some may cite military training, but I believe the course of fire was pretty close to the same 50yrs ago, and they were training and using marksmen back then too, maybe not quite to the same extent, but I still find it hard to believe that most hunters today were on a scout sniper team.

Now I'm not trying to call anyone out or say anyone is a liar, although doubtless some are. I just want to know what. Changed and when, to make us confident enough or make some feel the need to shoot from afar. Id also like to know where everyone gets these skills, IE how does one get this good without being on the Olympic team, or shooting for the AMU.

Just a thought as it seems to be a current tread on the net to tout how many counties away your last big buck was when you dropped the hammer. And Hell Agl4now is stirring it up I might as well get my spoon in there.

BTW I shot my grizzly this fall at a longish, for me on big bears, 177yds. I hope to shoot my unit 13 caribou and fill my CO mulie tag at spitting distance but that's just how I think.

PS please don't make this a pissin match, I want honest opinions of what you think makes us as modern hunters more capable.

You had it; Internetola

With cheap cameras and computers being common place in most homes now, and growing, Internet lets the little guy share with the world.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Last year on Kodiak I talked with a fellow coming back from afognak at the float plane dock. He was shooting a modified model 700 sporting a 26 inch barrel with a 24 power scope with windage knobs chambered in .300 rum. This fellow was no pilgrim and was comfortable with his rifle. I could see someone like that taking a really long shot. Jack O'Conner never had a 8000 dollar smidt and bender scope to play with so maybe some of these stories are true.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

What I wonder is WHY do they do it, Seems to me anyone can pull out a spotting scope and find game 500 plus yards away...

Isn't that when the Hunting Starts? Not just shooting but "the Hunting/Stalking" part?

So why end your hunt that quick, and rush back to the world, what, so you can change the oil in your truck and get the bills paid up, check your emails maybe??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Because they didn't have shools like this:
    http://www.outdoorsman.com/static/pa.html

Default less than 100

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Just a thought as it seems to be a current tread on the net to tout how many counties away your last big buck was when you dropped the hammer.
    Hell I've turned down 150 yard shots to get a 100 or less yard shot, and not just once, so likely I'm in the minority of what you're saying.

If one ends up walking away, it really ain't the end of the world, ya know?

I will likely never take a shot much over 350 yards. I honestly don't see too many folks on this site sending it past 400 but I am sure there are other forums that people regularly report uber long shots on game. My longest was somewhere around 300 to date and I wasn't super comfortable with it. I knew I could hold it and I knew the math so logic said it was a safe shot. The result was a bangflop, but I would have liked to be sitting on top of it or at least within 200 yards. I will say unlike FM I am not likely to turn down a 150 yard shot if it is a good clear one. I will definitely take the shot I have when I have it. On that front I guess I am a bird in the hand type of guy, the freezer don't fill itself!

Depends on the need, terrain and ones capabilitys.
    I shoot 90% of my animals under 100 yards, 'cept Caribou and dropping meat at 200 yards isnt uncommon, but Im on Open Tundra, and 200 yards is nothing much. Like LuJon, 350 and Im not gonna even try, unless its wounded or Fur.
    With Moose , Bears, Muskoxen and mostly with Caribou, I just get close and look 'em over.

Fur ,especcially Wolves, will never ever give you a chance to look 'em over, and none will stop to give you a shot, they will run , run, run..

My longer shots are often at those Caribou I have looked at, chosen, and had just shot their buddie first, so when the Caribou come to that stop to have "The look" I nail one or two more.

Shooting the heads off Bunnies that are eating along the river bank from the middle of the river with my Mosin in Spring can be consittered my only "Shoot first, Look Later".........these bunnys dont have headgear to oogle over either~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    What I wonder is WHY do they do it, Seems to me anyone can pull out a spotting scope and find game 500 plus yards away...

Isn't that when the Hunting Starts? Not just shooting but "the Hunting/Stalking" part?

So why end your hunt that quick, and rush back to the world, what, so you can change the oil in your truck and get the bills paid up, check your emails maybe??
    My guess it's people who are more worried about having a trophy on their wall or saying they filled their tag than having a quality hunt. Long shots are easy with some practice and understanding windage and elevation. Stalking takes a lot more work and skill

Kid,
    I too am perplexed at the notion of long shooting... some guys like to do it but I see nothing new in the world of rifles that makes it easier or more consciousable with the lone exception of the laser rangefinder- even then a decent optical rangefinder would get you pretty close.

Shooting long has become fashionable...kinda like adding another element of prowess to the hunt and its fueled by a whole little mini industry to equip folks to try it. I'm thinking a lot of the old guys didn't feel it was something to brag about- in fact I read a Jeff Cooper story recently about hunting sheep in which he wouldn't say just how far because it was well over what he considered acceptable.

I've posted here before that I can't cotton to it and I hope its a trend that runs its course soon. If a guy reports he killed a bou with a bayonet- then I'll be impressed. I don't bowhunt but I am consistently amazed at guys who stalk critters on tundra to within bow range- that's huntin'!

When I grab my rifle and go out the door, I'm going hunt-in, not shoot-in. When hunting I try to get as close as I can to the animal I'm after. I have rarely taken a shot at any game over 100 yards, and most are half that distance. When shooting, I set up a target and have my table, chair, sand bag, ect. to insure a good stable rest for sighting in my rifles. This way I know the rifle is on, and I have only myself to blame if I miss a shot. I sight in for shots of 300 yards, but without the bench equipment, I don't feel comfortable making that kind of shot in the field, unless I have a very stable rest against a rock or tree. IMOP some of the "Outdoor/Hunting" shows, such Best of the West, that advertises the Huskomaw (SP) line of optics, is a disservice to the hunting community. They broadcast shows that the "hunter" shoots from 7, 8, even 900 yards away!! I'm sorry, that is not hunting, and I want no part of it. Knute

I can't think of one big game animal I have shot over 50 yards. Often times I think long range shooting compensates for fitness, as I notice unfit people are noisier due to lack of motor control/coordination issues when moving through the wilds. Instant gratification of getting the animal without much effort also plays a part.

It's nice to know your limits on game .If you do a lot of long range shooting you will know if you can make the shot, be it 100yds. or 600yds.

It's not just the gun but the rest ,the wind the weather and you.I always get as close as I can .This summer I shot a 3 shot group at 500yds that dropped 36" with my 300rum it was 4and 5/8" .I have to say I shot a moose a few years ago at 440yds, I would have needed flippers to get closer.Sadly I think a lot of people will shoot at any range and hope then a few get lucky and tell everyone.

I get my greater hunting thrills from calling a bull moose in close, whether I shoot him or not. Long distance "hunting" is very impersonal and often results in wounded animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombo View Post
    I can't think of one big game animal I have shot over 50 yards. Often times I think long range shooting compensates for fitness, as I notice unfit people are noisier due to lack of motor control/coordination issues when moving through the wilds. Instant gratification of getting the animal without much effort also plays a part.
    I think tombo nailed it.
    long shots are for folks with poor skills.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Or...possibly Exceptional Skills foriegn to many. Some folks are sneaky, some ain't. If a hunter uses what skills he has to be successful, that is all others should expect. No two of us are proficient in all aspects of killing game.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I like to long range shoot for the challenge. But that is at paper. When it comes to meat and hunting no thanks I will take the sure short shot 100% of the time. While predator calling that is a different story 200 to 300 yard shots arent uncommon but like it was mentioned that may be your only shot so it is best to take it. Its not like big game where you can put a stalk on and that is half the fun of predator calling you got to stay on your toes and it is 99% of the time very fast action.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    I think tombo nailed it.
    So it doesnt take skills to hit a target at 1000 yards? just anyone can do it eh?

I tried to get through a Jack O'Connor book one time to see what all the hoopla was about and lost interest when he started taking long shots at the rump of a bigger sheep ('cause that's the only shot he'd offer) when he already had a sheep in his pack and was stopping for a break...

So, yeah, long and sometimes ridiculous shots go way back.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    So it doesnt take skills to hit a target at 1000 yards? just anyone can do it eh?
    takes the same skill to hit a critter as a pop can at 1000 yds ...
    but sneaking up on a pop can is different then getting close to an animal....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast