Thread: Which .357, Colt King Cobra or S&W 19-3

Default Which .357, Colt King Cobra or S&W 19-3

Do any of you have experience, good or bad, with either the Colt King Cobra or Smith Wesson 19-3 .357 revolvers? What do you think of them? I happen to have both, and after shooting them, thought I'd get your opinions.
    Both have the +/- 4" barrels, adjustable rear sight, rubber grips, and are pretty much the same size and weight. The Colt is stainless and has a high visibility front sight. The SW is blue and the front sight is the same. I think it must have had a trigger job as it feels flawless. I understand the Colt factory triggers are good and mine is no exception.
    I got the Smith with a loose cartridge ejector rod (I think that is what it is called), tightened it, and noted that it loosened again after shooting the gun. Not sure if this is just my gun, or prevalent in the model. Seems a little medium strength Loctite might solve that problem. Or is there a better fix?
    If you had one or both, and sold it for something "better" in .357, what was your new choice?
    Thanks for the feedback,
    ARR

Those are both very good guns but if I wanted better it would be Colt Python first followed closely by a S&W M27.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Do any of you have experience, good or bad, with either the Colt King Cobra or Smith Wesson 19-3 .357 revolvers? What do you think of them? I happen to have both, and after shooting them, thought I'd get your opinions.
    Both have the +/- 4" barrels, adjustable rear sight, rubber grips, and are pretty much the same size and weight. The Colt is stainless and has a high visibility front sight. The SW is blue and the front sight is the same. I think it must have had a trigger job as it feels flawless. I understand the Colt factory triggers are good and mine is no exception.
    I got the Smith with a loose cartridge ejector rod (I think that is what it is called), tightened it, and noted that it loosened again after shooting the gun. Not sure if this is just my gun, or prevalent in the model. Seems a little medium strength Loctite might solve that problem. Or is there a better fix?
    If you had one or both, and sold it for something "better" in .357, what was your new choice?
    Thanks for the feedback,
    ARR
    Keep your Smith, sell me your Colt you wont like it!!!

Yep ejector rods at times get lose but a little clear nail polish on the threads will stop that. The Colt is stronger built and closer to the S&W 686 pistols. The 19 had some trouble shooting loads under 158gr.,lighter bullets ate on the forceing cone.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Cruise on over to the Smith & Wesson Forum for the proper way to tighten the extractor rod. There is no need to ruin the gun using lock tite products. I'm a Smith guy so I'm a little prejudiced when I say the Colt is a Volkswagen and the Model 19 is a Mercedes.

The nice thing for me is I have no prejudice either way. And, I'm lucky enough to have both. A guy reads about guns, and the Colt "Snakes" seem to be held in high esteem. The Smiths go way back and also have solid reputations.
    When I shoot them, they really feel comparable. I'd say the way the rock or recoil is very similar. I've shot a few revolvers that felt different. At least now I think I am making a fair comparison. Not like comparing a 6" .44 to a 4" .357.
    When I mentioned the trigger on the Smith part of my input was based on a friends comment that it felt too good to be factory. It would be fun to go try a truly factory piece to see the difference.
    The 2 times I've shot them side by side I shot the 19 better than the Cobra. No Fishhogg, that doesn't mean the KC is for sale. At least yet. I do struggle with aquiring the sites due to wearing glasses. I wear bifocals, and if I tilt my head back, no problem, but then my body is not set up right. So I found some safety glasses with readers on top and bottom (Uvex) and that helps a bit, but I need a stonger set. The targets I was using had a bright orange center, and that did not help with the hi-vis site on the Colt. The Smith black sites worked better. So I'll go try it with black targets, or another neutral color to see if that makes a difference.

I have 2 S&W M28s and the factory triggers are very good. I also have an older,around 1950, Colt Officers Model Special that also has a very nice trigger. I have been a mechanic for over 40 years and have yet to see anything, including guns, that has been ruined by lock tite. I guess I could say that Smiths aren't as good as Colts as this is a well known problem of S&Ws. However that is a silly notion as a small drop of locktite will fix it. For those that aren't aware, a little heat will melt the locktite if you ever want it off. This will unruin anything ruined by locktite. If anyone has a S&W that has been ruined by locktite, I'm buying them at ruined gun prices.

I love my Model 19's. Don't mean I wouldn't pick up the Colt in a heart beat if the right deal fell my way. For the .357 loads I've been leaning to over the last few years, though, I'm more comfortable shooting a Model 27 or 28.
    I really really really like the K frame Smith triggers and lockwork. Colts, by and large, seem to be a bit smoother from the factory, but their triggers just don't, or can't match the Smith.
    As to the ejector rods working loose, that seems to me to be a 'problem' in the older guns, before they reversed the thread on 'em. I do recall one on an older K38 that had come far enough out that they cylinder wouldn't release, and I bought it for a song. Stuck a tongue depressor against the ejector rod and spun the cylinder enough to tighten the rod, and she opened right up...

Model19 all the way. If the King Cobra has the old style lock work, which I doubt, all parts are hand fitted with the mainspring even being handmade. If anything breaks or goes wrong you may need to replace several parts other than the broken one with all or most of them needing fitting, besides being increasingly hard to find. If it is the new style lockwork, which I'm almost certain it is, the cast parts are not of terribly great quality IME, and are even harder to find. The newer style is kindof a S&W knockoff in some ways minus the forged parts.
    Parts abound for the Smiths, though they rarely break, and I personally don't think any DA revolver can equal the smoothness or just right feeling of a worked Kframe action, the geometry is just perfect. I also wouldn't worry much about cracked or cut forcing cones and topstraps from the model 19s, I think this was mostly BS. It may be possible but you'd need to do a ton of shooting with full house magnum loads, and the gun would likely be shot loose by that time anyway. If you plan to shoot that much buy an N frame such as the 27 or 28, or a Ruger GP100 or 357 Redhawk.

Just the opinion and experiance from a revolver guy who has owned my fair share and worked on a bunch more.

an interesting post: i have fired thousands of rounds with both of those revolvers and are familiar with them. of course you know, the s&w 19 ( 66 et al) is built on the K frame hardened and treated to stand .357 mag pressures. the main spring is flat with a coil trigger return spring. this makes for a very smooth action and a light and responsive weapon. it was never designed for an extended diet of full house magnum ammunition, but stands up well to it. breakdowns of any kind are uncommon, and this revolver is easy to tune.
    the king cobra is the I frame ( or .41 frame ) and is designed from the old model trooper. the early trooper was "hand fitted", as a departure from that colt redesigned the trooper, lawman, then the king cobra. it uses sintered ( powdered metal) parts, coil springs and is bull strong. it was designed to shoot magnum ammunition, and it is a rare weapon indeed that ever needs repair.

both revolvers are completely dependable, durable, and accurate. in my opinion, the smith "tunes" a little easier the colt takes recoil a little better. either one, as evedenced by extended law enforcement use would be an excellent pick.
    happy trails.
    jh

I shot both Colt and S&W in PPC competition for a lot of years, finally deciding that the S&W double action suited me a lot better. Guys standing on either side of me could have felt the opposite, depending on taste.

They're both really fine guns, but there's a distinct difference in the way they cycle in double action if that's a factor for you. I shoot double action almost exclusively, and I also find the S&W action considerably easier to tune. Again, YMMV.