Thread: Big White Bird Down

Default Big White Bird Down

Normally the biggest birds I see sitting around the Jim Lake marsh are the abundant swans but recently there was another one that caught my eye. My duck hunting buddy and I were watching this cub make low passes over one of the “almost” dry lakes in the eastern Jim Lake complex wondering what the heck he was up to. I was quite surprised when this fellow actually attempted a wheels landing in the marsh but I suspect he was even more surprised by the soft spot his cub found at the end of the run-out. After the landing we motored over to the unfortunate fellows and with the help of a couple more good samaritan duck hunters helped him get his plane out of the worst of the hole it was in. Nothing was damaged other than the pilot’s pride and his checkbook after he called in the helo in to make a recovery. It was quite an operation to watch and I couldn’t help but get a few photos for the old scrap book.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default More pics

Two shots of the helo recovery
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW! What kind of decoy spread did you have out? Rags or full body Supercubs? Flocked heads or just plain old plastic hard bodies. Curious about whether you chose a Robocub or just relied on the new Lycoming/Continental (engine) combination call from Cabela's?

In all seriousness.....glad everyone was OK. Amamzing what you see in the marsh sometimes.

hmmm, what's the season and bag limit on those? Do you need a fed stamp for harvest? Glad they were alright, I wonder if they have to file an FAA report on something like that.

Well this at least answers one question...this guy kept buzzing us on Sunday over on Swan Lake. In fact, he was so close that I could see his dog sitting in the passenger seat. I could not figure out if he was sight seeing, just messing around or attempting to rustle up birds. I did not even think that he was going to try a landing. We headed back to the landing as he was buzzing. Glad that everyone was okay and that at least others were aware of his plight.

I thought you were going to be poster from the Bethel area, bragging about being able to bag a swan:-)

Glad he was ok. He could have easily flipped.

I was at duck lake sunday and saw the helo fly buy with the plane suspended. wondered what happened. bet that was one expensive helo ride for that plane. did u get any birds. Bud

Did he try to land on the back side (east) of Leaf? That area looks like a nice pasture, but it is a muddy mess. Good place to spot moose too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark and the boys View Post
    Well this at least answers one question...this guy kept buzzing us on Sunday over on Swan Lake. In fact, he was so close that I could see his dog sitting in the passenger seat. I could not figure out if he was sight seeing, just messing around or attempting to rustle up birds. I did not even think that he was going to try a landing. We headed back to the landing as he was buzzing. Glad that everyone was okay and that at least others were aware of his plight.
    The guy flying with dog in the back seat was actually not the one who got stuck. There were two cubs flying together and it was the other one that attempted the landing. After the one cub got stuck the other fellow wisely stayed up and the buzzed us a few times signalling to make sure we were going over to check out is immobile partner.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    Did he try to land on the back side (east) of Leaf? That area looks like a nice pasture, but it is a muddy mess. Good place to spot moose too!
    Yes, it was the big swamp/lake to the east of Leaf Lake. I think some people might call it Grass Lake?

not an expert on the FAA reporting but any damage over ? I believe has to be reported.. not to mention the helo's flight plan to bird recovery probably goes to FAA..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I saw the heli with suspended cub fly over the Glen bridge and over the flats. Really neat to read the story behind the rescue. One question, did the pilot have to ride back in his cub?

The FAA preliminary accident database shows on 10/17/2010 a PA18 struck its prop while on taxi at Jim Creek. It also shows the tail number so blacking that out didn't really help him much. Since there were no injuries to the pilot or the passenger the FAA isn't going to care too much.

However, if the FAA were to see this thread (and there are FAA guys lurking here for duck info, but they don't have anything to do with pilots) then the whole "on taxi" situation might need some explaining.

How do you taxi when your tundra wheels are below the surface of the tundra anyway?

A few years ago when I was living in Calif. my friend had a blind set up on his Uncles ranch, he left his blind to go have lunch and when he got back there was a plane about 150 feet from his blind, the guy lost power and landed in the field near his blind, that messed up my friends evening hunt