Thread: anyone have experience with Sig's P238?

Default anyone have experience with Sig's P238?

My wife has been looking for a pistol to tuck in the car and purse sometime in the not so distant future, and long story short, after a few trips to different gun counters she has aquired a real taste for the feel of a Sig P238 in the .380. I'm very familiar with the full size P220 model but don't have much knowledge/experience about Sig's sub compact line. We were wondering if anyone who frequents the Mat-Valley Sportsman or the Birchwood range has one and would be willing to lend us some time with it, or if anyone has any experience with it they would be willing to pass along.

Thanks!
    -Justin
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

I have a 238. Mine has been great, but their reputation has been hit or miss at best (that seems to be a recurring theme with SIG-Sauer lately). Assuming you get a good one, you'll love it. The recoil is virtually non-existent, and it's incredibly accurate for a pocket pistol. My mom also loves the gun, but she sometimes has a hard time turning the safety on with her strong side thumb (just something to keep in mind). Anyways, hope this helps.

I have a 238 sig and its a good gun. No problems with mine. I carry a Seecamp. Its the best 380 out there. The waiting list for the seecamp can be long.

awesome! appreciate the imput guys. A gentleman at sportsmans introduced us to the Ruger LCP so now those two are in contention for the lead, but the wife is still leaning towards the Sig, dispite the manual safety. Will have to take a look at the Seecamps.

Thanks for the info!
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

We have already run through about 30 SIG P238s and have had to tweak one (extractor IIRC). We get great reports on them.

The Seecamp 380s are spendy, $800 or so, but they are the ultimate pocket pistol as long as you realize the limitations of the platform. I get three every 24 months or so and already two of them are spoken for (for 24 months!)

What are the bennies of the seecamp over the sig?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    SIZE, DAO & size. There are times when less is more and pocket pistols are one of those times IMO. I carried a LWS 32 for many years and I've never had someone hold it and not long for one, simply because of its size (or lack thereof).
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Dang, those Sig's sure look nice. I need me one of them and would give me a good excuse to try out the 380 auto cartridge.

F-Trooper05,

How's the trigger? And what yardage are you shooting at?

I'm off to Sportsman's to see how they fit in the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Size, DAO.

But I can price you I bet two SIGs for the cost of one Seecamp.

Come in and feel one, b oth are nice

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Dang, those Sig's sure look nice. I need me one of them and would give me a good excuse to try out the 380 auto cartridge.

F-Trooper05,

How's the trigger? And what yardage are you shooting at?

I'm off to Sportsman's to see how they fit in the hand.
    The trigger's nice and short with little, if any, take up. It's not a true 1911 trigger, but it's still very crisp. I can hit pretty decent groups at 15-20 yards as it has real sights (unlike those on a Ruger LCP). I've seen it stove-pipe once, but it was when my buddy was shooting it, so it might have been caused by limp-wristing.

I have to say, however, that even though mine has been great, and Wild West Guns hasn't heard any complaints, if you play around on the Google you'll find that a lot of people have been having problems with them (even the new post-recall ones). I was just on XDtalk the other day, and there was a guy who had an absolute horror story with his new one. Apparently he had sent it off to SIG three times to have it fixed, and it kept coming back even worse than before. And he had pics and videos to prove it.

With that said, I've been very happy with mine and I'm glad I got it.