Thread: Had good luck with the grouse on saturday

Default Had good luck with the grouse on saturday

Me and a friend went for a quick hunt. Left at the crack of noon. I didnt think we would get anything but I needed to get out of the house. I brought along my ruger 10/22. I got it last year and so far the thing has been quite the small game bagger. I just use the iron sights, cci standard ammunition and it hits what I point at.

My buddy brought a 870 20 gauge. He doesnt shoot much that I can tell. Cause he blew some easy shots. I ended up getting 4 and finishing off one he clipped for a total of 5 for the day.

Now this is the first time I have hunted with this guy, well successfully anyway. Ive known
    him since highschool. I dont think he hunts much. well anyway. we saw 9 grouse that day. we came home with 5. He wanted to get those other 4 in a bad way. He went bounding deeper and deeper into the woods chasing the escapees. I told him dont worry about it there will be more.

So at the end of the day he is just stewing about how those 4 got away and asked "doesnt that bother you?" I just say no. We got plenty and now we know there is still at least 4 more for next time. Besides that he told me he doesnt like the way they taste!

then I yammered on a little more about not needing to kill everything blah blah.

So the next day I cook them up for him and his wife using dsldogs zesty italian, bacon and jalepeno recipe. Well after he gets a bite of that we are back to square one. He says with a big grin on his face "now all grouse must die!" MATTGROUSE.jpg

Geez it needs to snow so I can start skiing and lose some weight!

Congrats! I have an 870 12 gauge and a Ruger 10/22. Looking forward to trying this weekend. Did you see any bunnies?

I didnt see any. But I had the beagle out there recently and he was running some

Nice job on a good day and,

I like your style Matt, you've got a great life to live ahead of ya, thinking like that
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Nice work. Good post, I enjoyed hearing about the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I cook them up for him and his wife using dsldogs zesty italian, bacon and jalepeno recipe.!

whats his recepie?
    Semper Fi!

Nice birds -- nice tale.

Regards.

Good job on the grouse. One of my favorite birds to hunt...

Did you find spruce needles in their gullets yet? Shouldnt be long and the spruce hens will be all but inedible....

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Good job on the grouse. One of my favorite birds to hunt...

Did you find spruce needles in their gullets yet? Shouldnt be long and the spruce hens will be all but inedible....
    Dave,

You should play hookie from work next week and lets hit Sutton. Got a few spruce patches loaded with them off the wheeler trail. Got to hit it before it snows though. They are pretty high.

yep everyone of them was packed full of needles. 4 of the grouse Im pretty sure were this years hatch due to size and color of feathers, and all the meat was already pretty red. I got one old male with meat the color of canned beets. But, its amazing what soaking them in Zesty italian dressing does for the taste.

I'll have to look up that recipe..thanks for the tip.

Chico, I believe my hunt pass has been about revoked for the year, lol. I could probably swing an afternoon around the house, but the road trips are probably not going to happen

If you ever want to stop up and flush a few, give me a shout, you know where to find me

nice grouse!
    i havent done any good on grouse this year, i usually wait till january.

heres my grouse i got this weekend
    Semper Fi!