Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Could you handle the truth, as just the way it was......? I think NOT.All

  1. #1

    Default Could you handle the truth, as just the way it was......? I think NOT.All

    Could you accept the truth about how things were long, long ago......? I think NOT. The truth ain't pretty, it is just what is so. Sadly the few still alive who know how it was are passing fast. All to sad, from my view.

  2. #2

    Default

    Could I accept the truth that AK hunting is different from what it was?? Sure. Do I at times wish I was born 60 years earlier? You bet!! Am I going to sit around and long for those "good ol' days" or "days of ol' " to come back rather than make the most of what we still have HECK NO. I'm going to get my hiney out there as much as possible before it is all gone!!!

    My grandpappy moved up here in 1948 and still says that same Alaska that he found when he come up here back then is still out there 60+ years later sometimes you just gotta look for it a little harder. Change is inevitable, how we adapt to that change is what makes the person.

  3. #3

    Default

    We have it pretty good right now. Lots of outdoor opportunities exist for guys who don't mind a little work.

  4. #4

    Default

    I can handle it....long as the change the names to protect the ....errrr.....some of those folks are still kicking and their kids are now internet junkies. Let 'er rip! Tell us about the time Denny T. stood up on the table, chawin' on his stogie and auctioned off that Grizzly Sow who just happened to be lyin' round up in the bowl overlooking Windy Creek on top of some Moose Roasts. Or the one....OK, I'll let you finish. Perhaps you could write a book one day.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Could I accept the truth that AK hunting is different from what it was?? Sure. Do I at times wish I was born 60 years earlier? You bet!! Am I going to sit around and long for those "good ol' days" or "days of ol' " to come back rather than make the most of what we still have HECK NO. I'm going to get my hiney out there as much as possible before it is all gone!!!

    My grandpappy moved up here in 1948 and still says that same Alaska that he found when he come up here back then is still out there 60+ years later sometimes you just gotta look for it a little harder. Change is inevitable, how we adapt to that change is what makes the person.
    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    We have it pretty good right now. Lots of outdoor opportunities exist for guys who don't mind a little work.

    LOL hunting as we know it know WAS never anything like Res and Hope knew it then... it has NOTHING TO DO with the hunting you guys like to think of.. it has every thing to do with the lawlessness our fathers portrayed to make ends meat... game harvested in mass to feed communities, large animals shot in the yard for BBQ. and tossed when done.. there were groups in nearly every valley town that would hunt year round and drop meat in folks yards . and tons was wasted... SSS was the song of the day. poisons were air dropped for predators. if it was brown it was down... or any other color for that matter.. Alaska was the last frontier. thanks your stars today for the population crashes of the 60's and 70's... sport hunting LOL there was no sport to it... people paid GOOD money for those sheep and moose in more ways then one, two or three.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  6. #6
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    I cringe when I read Berg's book of the quantity of sheep taken off Tustemena back in the day. I can't imagine herds of sheep on every hill and moose densities like they were.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,639

    Default

    I wouldnt change a thing, 'cept maby a few degrees in temp......Stable Caribou poulation for 20+ years now, Wolves galore, Big Bears, 11 months of the year and teh country is "mine" with few exceptions.My hunting unit is bigger than Indiana and no roads , or rather less than 200 miles total if you include the haule road at RedDog mine...
    Plenty of Salmon, Geese are at a high, but no more Belugas, Walrus , Seals and Polar Bears is screwing things up abit for folks at my end of the planet.........
    The times change and so does the climate, so were witnessing another epoch or what?
    Truely I have been living in a good place, and though I do forsee a comming encroachment, and "Southern Thinking" when it comes to hunting and not just hunting itsself , but why we hunt.

    Live for the day!


    Its a Chinese curse to live in "interesting Times"


    Lemme see......Im Male and American, a Rifleman, Father, the wife still likes me, Im healthy and happy and I hunt hunt hunt....could it be any better?( Ok, it'll be better when my chain saw arrives, and I only use the ax for kindling ~~LOL!!~~ Viva La Gas Motor's)

    Anamal populations will always recoup unles man interferes......

    Like the song sang "It's Like that, and thats the way it is...."

    Soon enough, we will be "The good old days"
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  8. #8

    Question Where'd ya go?

    AG,
    I thought you were going to drop some Zingers on us. Where are you? Can't you handle it?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9
    Member AK DUCKMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Long long ago. Hell hunting in the late 70s early 80s wasn't that bad. It wasn't untill all you yahoos showed up that it went down hill. Oh, you know who you are

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Agree 100%. Do you think that back in the "good old days" everybody was singing the praises for how wonderful things were? Of course not- all the old timers were *****ing about how terrible things were, but how wonderful things used to be. "These are the good old days."

  11. #11
    Premium Member Wyo2AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Spenard
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    We've got one half of the hunting population *****ing that we're going to lose the right to hunt to the antis because we're not fostering a hunting culture and bringing up more youth to respect and participate in hunting. Then we've got the other half *****ing about how terrible hunting is these days because there's too many people, too much competition, too many regulations. Pick a side if you must. Personally, I choose to be happy with what I've got.

    It's the same story wherever you go... Alaska's not that different than a lot of other places if you want to get teary-eyed looking at the past. My grandfather remembers when people didn't even bother saving the racks off 30-inch mule deer in Nevada because they were so common. I was remodeling a house in Wyoming and found a set or regs from the '60s in the wall - seasons were several months long and you could kill multiple deer, elk, whatever. The days gone by when waterfowl blackened the sky on Chesapeake Bay. Hell, the golden years of Africa (that's where I'd be if time travel were an option.)

    How's that saying go? "God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, courage to change the things we can, and wisdom to know the difference."
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    AG,
    I thought you were going to drop some Zingers on us. Where are you? Can't you handle it?
    No......I don't think so. If I thought it could be discussed as history, as a telling of things that were done, yes. As it is an interesting part of Alaska's history.
    I think this is the wrong crowd, instead of members just digesting the information, and saying to themselves "Wow" I had no idea, and accept it as history, it would just turn into a righteousness, judgmental, verbal free-for'all, by people using todays moral filter to violently verbalize their thoughts and judgments about events they are not qualified to judge. It is history, it is simply what happened.

    That said, If others want to start telling what they know, and it stays civil, I'll be happy to join the conversation.

  13. #13
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    To my thinking Alaska changes much much faster than say the lower 48. I believe as far as some hunting goes we can even call twenty years ago a better time. I know some of the bigger cities here had much better liveing twenty years ago and fifty years ago would be about equal to a hundred years years in the lower. On the flip side some smaller places have lost half the population in the last ten years and this may be the new good old days.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    No......I don't think so. If I thought it could be discussed as history, as a telling of things that were done, yes. As it is an interesting part of Alaska's history.
    I think this is the wrong crowd, instead of members just digesting the information, and saying to themselves "Wow" I had no idea, and accept it as history, it would just turn into a righteousness, judgmental, verbal free-for'all, by people using todays moral filter to violently verbalize their thoughts and judgments about events they are not qualified to judge. It is history, it is simply what happened.

    That said, If others want to start telling what they know, and it stays civil, I'll be happy to join the conversation.
    Perhaps it is best that others recall the past as they hoped it was, instead of the way it was. A lot of our idols could be labeled as criminals under todays standards.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  15. #15
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    No......I don't think so. If I thought it could be discussed as history, as a telling of things that were done, yes. As it is an interesting part of Alaska's history.
    I think this is the wrong crowd, instead of members just digesting the information, and saying to themselves "Wow" I had no idea, and accept it as history, it would just turn into a righteousness, judgmental, verbal free-for'all, by people using todays moral filter to violently verbalize their thoughts and judgments about events they are not qualified to judge. It is history, it is simply what happened.
    Why ask a question that you are obviously confident you already know the answer to?

  16. #16
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    Perhaps AOD owner Mikey should start a new forum and title it something like "The Old Alaska / The Way Alaska Used To Be / Alaska 1930 to 1990 / Alaska-prior to Walmart / Alaska...the truth how things were a long, long time age".

  17. #17

    Default

    One could go back even further, to the Russian Fur Seal trade. In Alaska in the early 1970's baby seals were still harvested, by round-ups and clubbing them to death.

  18. #18
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    A little food for thought, and maybe this has nothing to do with anything. I work in the oilfield, and I hear the older guys always complaining about the new oilfield. Well the fact of the matter is, the oilfield is the way it is now because of all the wrong things being done in the past, the same guys whining about it now are the ones that made it the way it is today because of the stupid things they did and the people they killed and hurt.

  19. #19

    Default

    Yeah AGL4now, "...in the early 1970's baby seals were still harvested.." ,And - it was really GOOD money at the time!
    One of the biggest changes is what people consider "hard". What is considered a "hard" hunt now would have been a "cake walk" in the fifties and sixties - of course what was hard then was nothing compared to the hunts described by Kidder in the early part of the last century.
    Given how "exhausting" some of these two or three day hunts are described as being - shouldn't be long until most of the game should be safe - too much effort required.
    Joe (Ak)

  20. #20

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Yeah AGL4now, "...in the early 1970's baby seals were still harvested.." ,And - it was really GOOD money at the time!
    And....it was funded and regulated entirely by the good ole' USofA. If you were an Aleut doing this, then you became a Federal Employee, eligible for all the perks and retirement. Folks were hired by the Feds to bludgeon the baby seals and scalp them of their hides. The meat was left on the rocks for the gulls to feed off of.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •