Thread: Ultimo bullet recovery box comparo

Default Ultimo bullet recovery box comparo

So for about 3 hours this afternoon Mitch and Myself cleaned out, sorted, and repacked the bullet trap. I would guess I picked more than 500 bullets out of that mess to be melted down for cast bullets.

Now the trap isn't going to be a good indicator of expansion for hunting purposes and of course tells us nothing about accuracy potential, what it does tell us however, is which bullets are tough and hold onto their cores. I would be hardpressed to find any safe way of subjecting a bullet to much more stress, the trap is a 2'x2'x3 red steel box with a 1.5" thick rubber face, and it is filled with rubber chipped into roughly 1 to 2 in pieces. The bullets are fired from a distance of about 8" from the trap.

Over the many many rounds that have been put into the old girl only 2 have made it tothe back wall to leave a dent. I'm told they were solids from a 460Wby, I'm not 100% sure but that sounds reasonable. Guess what I'm trying to convey is that this thing is rough on bullets.

So any way the list will follow and Mainly states what I consider to be bullet toughness or strength judging by how good they looked after thay had run the gauntlet.

1. Corbon's FP penetrator from 454 and 45-70, they all looked as if they were designed to be reused, no riveting nothing.
    2. Kodiak's bonded core heavy jacket SP. From the 457mag, 4570, and 50AK, these bullets really hold onto their cores, even the ones that had been rear ended by other slugs although smashed up the lead and jacket stay together.
    3. Swift A-frame all calibers. Like the Kodiak the core and jacket seem to be mated for life although the jackets seem slightly brittle sometimes letting part of the front half shear off.
    4. Trophy bonded bearclaws. Not too many of these in there, but the ones I did find looked good.
    5. Speer GrandSlam, most of these seemed to hold fairly decent with usually the rear half of the core still in good shape.
    6. Nosler Partition, while not all sheared off the whole front half, I didn't find a single one with a front core still in it's jacket.
    7. Speer hotcores mostly shed their cores but a few managed to stay together, these were the 400gr .458 offering fired from a lightly loaded 450AK for fireforming if I recall correctly.
    8. Military Fmjs most seemed to tumble squish and squirt the cores out the buttend.
    9. Hornady Leverlutions, the 30cal and 35 from the 35 Remington looked good, the ones from the 45-70 on the other hand looked like they had been through a meat grinder, the jackets on them are incredibly thin and they seem brittle with many of them ruptured.
    10. I'll assume the bits and sludge in the bottom, none of which were bigger than a buckshot pellet, were Corlokts, Win Powerpoints, and Nosler Ballistic tips as none of that stuff was indentifiable.

So I guess you guys can glean what info you want from this, I just thought it was neat to look at all of them and see how they held up. If you want to see how your favorite load holds up bring me a couple to shoot in their and I'll let you know what they look like in ten years or so when we clean it out again.

Care to test a Woodleigh out of a 600 Nitro?

??? Ttt??????

Quote Originally Posted by AkMike1 View Post
    ??? Ttt??????
    Besides the fact that you might have to wait 10yrs or so to get your bullet back, we don't empty the trap very often, I think we might have a little problem with over penetration.

You shooting 900grainers outta that thing? Also what brand rifle is it, double or falling block? Id sure love to see it at any rate, though I'll have to decline to blast it into the trap.

Is the depth the 3 ft figure?

It's based on a Dan'l Fraser style falling block. Side lever operated. Yep I have some 900 Woodies loaded up for it. Sooner or later I'm going to test out the new brass Hydro's in it too.

So The "ultimo" isn't the ultimate bullet trap?