Thread: More AR questions

Default More AR questions

Got the AR bug. Soon as I get a lower I will have all the parts to put a new one together. So next is lube. What do you all prefer for lube on your ARs. I like wd-40 on the other guns.............yes, I know, alot of guys don't like it.

Also need scope mounts. I have a cheap scope to put on the new Mod 1 upper I bought. Planning on a 6.8 upper later with a better scope.
    My Bushmaster has a B-square mount. Is that still a good mount. Haven't checked into pricing yet.

Thanks for any help.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

CLP for lube and Larue for mounts.

I use Milcom TB25 lube, and Larue mounts.

Martentrapper
    There are a lot of products out there and most are very good to use. I am not a big fan of WD- 40 for a lube product. It is a great product to separate moisture from metal. CLP and my personal favorite is a product from Brownells named ACTION LUBE PLUS. I FIRE between 5k to 10k rounds a year in both my AR'S and my glock with a lot of different rounds and makes and can count on one hand the number of malfunctions I have in a year with either of these products.

I have built a couple AR's this year so i can understand the cost factors involved. It will cost you more in the long run in both price and performance if you scrimp along the way. Build the lower for what you plan to use it for IE target, close in work, or just speed. The upper works the same way. If you buy a flat top then itís easy to find the rings you will need for that. Myself I like the Leopold rings,
    The scope can be as much as the entire lower platform in price and should be. I stopped using Bushnell about five years ago and went to Leopold for about every rifle i have.
    I would also look at the Leopold AR model if you are looking i am getting ready to buy one of these next month. It has a BDC turret for 55grain 556 or 223cal and the scope is not that bad on the cost if you shop around. I have found several new on EBay for about the same price I can get it from Leopold.
    I hope this may help good luck and have fun on the project.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

AR's are not that finicky when it comes to lube. As long as the lube is wet and slippery and has some staying power it will usually work. WD-40 is probably not a great choice, I think it would burn off pretty quick since its so light. It may suffice in a bolt gun but in a semi auto that builds up a lot of heat probably not so good. Buy a quart of Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic motor oil and you'll be good to go for quite a while. Larue mounts are the best you can buy in my opinion, a good option at a lower price is the Burris PEPR.

AKJD
    You are right about LaRue mounts they are VERY good. They are set up on the quik release design, i work with a lot of guys that use them. They are a bit pricy but you do get what you pay for.
    I had not thought about WD-40 burning off but i would have to agree because it is so light.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam