Thread: Sierra 200gr spitzer experiences?

Default Sierra 200gr spitzer experiences?

I just bought a box of .30 200gr to load for my .06 and was wondering what folks thought of them for hunting moose and bou. I've never used them before, but I figured I'd give them a try.
    Thoughts, opinions?

Mountaintrekker

Sierra are darn fine bullet and should perform very well in the 06. I use 180 hornady's in my 308 Norma mag and they perform very well for a cup and core bullet. Also look at the 200 gr partition a little more money a good bullet as well.

I'm looking to go with the Hornady 165 or 168 gr Boatails for my 06. Still studying powders and ballistics, but will start a few practice loads later this winter.
    Good luck with your loading Mountaintrekker
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Try as I may, I can't bring myself to shell out $36.00 for 50 Partitions. Call me a cheap skate, but I shoot a fair ammount and I like to practice with what I use to hunt with and Sierras or Hornadys seem like a fair deal at $33.00 per 100. Nice to hear you like them 323, If I can work up a decent load, I think I'll adopt them as my "everything" big game load.
    GrizzlyH- If I may ask, what are your intended targets in AK for such a lighter weight bullet?

Mountaintrekker

In my opinion for what its worth, I've found the sierra bullets to be very accruate. when it comes to animals such as a big moose, caribou and bear, you might want to consider spending the extra money for a Premium bullet, I personally have used sierra bullets on moose and caribou and have not been happy with the preformance. will they do the job? yep. but concider if you have your moose down and you have a run in with a big brown bear, which bullet are you going to want then? for me a few more dollars are well spent

Sierra makes a fine bullet for the "aught six velocities" with that bullet weight, it is accurate as heck! The use of premiums is justified for in faster magnum type calibers ie...Weatherbies, Lazzaronies etc. 200 grain for moose or bear is perfect for the aught six..is all I use. You will like the way it hits, how it kills and does not cost like those "premiums".

My experience is with the Speer 200 rather than the Sierra, but I have to agree that it should be a dandy performer at the velocities possible in an 06. I've used the Speer a lot in a 308 and a little less in an 06, but it is impressive. Based on experience with Sierras in other calibers, it might loose slightly more weight than the Speer, but I'd have no qualms. The only difference for me is that about a dozen years ago I found a sporting goods store going out of business and picked up 3,000 of the Speers for less than half price, and I haven't run out yet. Once that happens, I could just as well be shooting Sierras if I found them on a great sale.

I agree with AKBONE on buying a premium bullet for the bone breaking ability. Out of my .338 WM I use Sierra Game King 215g bullets for practice they have a very close BC to the 210 grain Barnes TTSX. So trajectory wise I am on close to the same path. This lets me shoot 100-200 rounds a year for half the cost of shooting the Barnes. There are few better target bullets than Sierra especially the 168 g HPBT Match King in .30 caliber. But for game a Barnes or Nosler would be my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Try as I may, I can't bring myself to shell out $36.00 for 50 Partitions. Call me a cheap skate, but I shoot a fair ammount and I like to practice with what I use to hunt with and Sierras or Hornadys seem like a fair deal at $33.00 per 100. Nice to hear you like them 323, If I can work up a decent load, I think I'll adopt them as my "everything" big game load.
    GrizzlyH- If I may ask, what are your intended targets in AK for such a lighter weight bullet?

Mountaintrekker
    I'm using the 165 Boatails for Sheep and Caribou. I use 180's for Moose, sinse I have alot of them left from Minnesota whitetail hunting.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I'm going to lean towards getting the Sierra's. In this day and age with prices getting higher and income getting lower, I'm going to stock up on affordable reloading gear that gets the job done.
    I shoot 500 or so .06 every year and I need to save some money and keep a good quantity of ammo on hand.

Thanks and by all means keep the info coming.

Mountaintrekker

not much more to say...like brown bear noted on the Speer 200's they have worked perfectly as well....just stock up as much as you can constantly afford to.

Make sure you buy the GameKings NOT the MatchKings for hunting.

Here's the result of a 220gr Sierra Gameking at 165 yds. 325wsm (8mm) at 2800fps mv. Complete pass throughs, broken shoulders and spine. I did not find any evidence of bullets coming apart and not penetrating. Just broken bones and a dead bear. Oh, and they shoot 1inch 5rnd groups at 100yds in my Kimber.