Thread: Early or late for a goat?

Default Early or late for a goat?

I need some advice on a guided, boat based goat hunt.What week would you book it for and why. I have never hunted goats but could have shot plenty with bow and rifle while hunting elk.I am afraid I'll be to old by the time I have the points to draw the tag in Montana.

I'm sure one of the guides that posts here will provide some info for you.

why boat based? float plane is always an option.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    I'm sure one of the guides that posts here will provide some info for you.

why boat based? float plane is always an option.
    With a boat, you have a warm bed to come back to and no bears to fight for your goat.

Early season you will have better weather and thinner fur, late season weather is more unpredictable, but they will have thicker fur.

Allow plenty of time as weather is key to success.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Goat Hunt 2010 156 - Copy.jpgTo me, the trophy of a goat comes from a beautiful shaggy white coat more than the horn size. With that said, I like late Sept or Oct. Took this shaggy 6 year old nanny last week. Wanted a billy but no such luck.

Anyone ever hunt them in november??Are the hides maxed out by mid.october??Any boat base guides on this site?? So many questions and more to come .Thank you for your time..

Last year I had the pleasure to be in on goat kills in August, October, and November. August obviously really wasn't anything to write home about for hide wise. October is when I shot my billy and it was pretty well haired up in the first week of October. Now that November goat.....WOW now that is some fur no doubt. Beautiful hide. I agree on the hide being atleast as much or more of the trophy compared to the horns with goats. Unless my schedule won't allow for it or something I will try to never goat hunt in August or even up September 20th (I'm moose, caribou, and sheep hunting anyways). If you have the option and able to book for a long 10-14 day hunt to put up with bad weather for days on end and wait for a break to take advantage of the window I would go later. Also make sure you are in reasonably good shape to make to scramble up to the goats during your weather break.

i guide goats but not on a boat and i won't touch goats until at least october and i prefer them even late into november if the seasons will allow. goats from drier enviroment (not coastal) will have fuzzier hair and not so matted and raggy looking. but goat hair is not maxed in oct by any means.
    boat hunts are just as much work as other goat hunts and most of them you'll end up spike camping on the mountian anyway, unless you like climbing 2000-3000 vertical feet thru wet brush each morning to start the day and then sliding back down it each night to cap it off...
    if you wanna hunt a goat, go where the goats are, not where the fish are. keep in mind later in the season you'll have alot less daylight so hiking up and down might not be as much of an option. some boat hunts though you might get the chance to spot it from the boat and tear off after it and be done super quick..it happens. i've never had a goat hunt go longer than 3 days.
    i've never had to fight a bear for a goat and i've never had a wet bed hunting goats,and i've never hunted goats from a boat, just hunt smart plan smart and BE IN FREAKIN" SHAPE!!

muskeg would be a good source of information for southeast goat hunting....he might be out working though...look him up on here and send him a PM.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Now that I think about it ,the longer hair is more important to me then an inch on the horns.I will have it full body mount for in my game room.There will be no other goats to compare it with.There will be 2 of us on this hunt and we will take how ever long it takes.The chances of us coming back again are very slim this has taker 5 years to do.The 2005 DIY moose hunt in 17b [a deam come true]
    Any more imput PLEASE.

Headhunter I have sent you a private message, in regards to your question.

The earlier you hunt, the sweeter the meat. They're eating forbs and grasses up hight. When November snows push them low, the goats can get some energy out of evergreen needles. They just start to taste a little like turpentine...

Eat them with a glass of Retsina and you'll never notice.

In southeast I know of atleast one operation that does boat based goat hunts in Tracy Arm. You return to the boat every night for a hot meal and a warm, dry bed. Most of the hunters fly to Juneau on Alaska Air then take a float plane down. Weather can be tricky so a couple days on each end of the hunt should be factored in. The owners name is Bruce Parker. http://www.alaskaboathunts.com I know he usually hunts down there from right about now through just before Thanksgiving. From what I know Bruce runs a quality operation. One of my good friends is a registered guide and works for Bruce. He's a member here as well but you might not hear from him till after thanksgiving. His forum name is AlaskaGilles.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.