Thread: Motor Selection

Default Motor Selection

I run a 1654 tracker mod v and I will be moving to fairbanks in a few months. It's currently powered with a 50hp tiller honda.

I've been told that I won't be able to run the rivers up there with my current setup. Any suggestions on repowering? I would hate to get rid of the honda because I got a steal on it and it only has about 15 hours on it.

What I'm thinking:

Jack plate on current setup = run a little shallower

Jet drive conversion = even more shallow, give up horsepower and need to pull the powerhead to change gearing since it uses offset crank gears of the wrong ratio

Surface drive mud buddy etc = shallow running but loud, no reverse, and basically a lawn mower engine not originally designed to run on the water for years.

any suggestions? I'm concerned that if I convert the motor to a jet unit that it won't have enough hp (drops to 35). I usually fish with minimal gear but duck hunt with 2 guys, a dog, and a few dozen decoys and plenty of gas.

It is a total one full day job to pull the powerhead and reinstall, you pull off everything from the lower unit up! Yes, everything.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

chugiak, ak

keep the current setup, and find a used motor with a jet unit, and put that on. It might cost you some $$$, but I bet it would be worth it. TRust me, there are days your going to wish you had that prop setup. And yes, hondas are a pain to change from prop to jet or vice versa! Get up here first, go boating with a few people to see what your really going to need.
    just my $.02