Thread: GPS for Hunting

Default GPS for Hunting

Christmas is coming and I need a handheld GPS Map. I figure I may have to get out of the boat one of these years and need to be prepared just in case. What is the best one going and why? Brand? All information welcome

Thanks in advance.

I'm on my second generation of Garmin handheld, this time the Colorado or some such. The first one (a 60?) still works, but was getting old enough I decided to upgrade. I'm approximate on the models because I'm away from home and the machines.

Biggest thing I can say is that they're tougher than tough. The Colorado has a really clear screen that's large enough and detailed enough to be really useful. I've got the Blue charts for marine use as well as the topos for on land, and switch between them without a hitch. I haven't a clue how they stack up to the others, but can testify that anything you get that's comparable should make you happy.

RR both Tim and I used Garmin Oregons this year on our hunts. They are powerful units and we used the same one in both the boat and on land. Loaded up with the entire state with topo and all stream, slough, and river names ect... Made the Yukon run so much easier. I can show you it when we have the burger and beer.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I use the Garmin 530HCX, up loaded with topo DVD. It is also a Transceiver so you can talk to others with one, it also receives NOAA weather, good to get up to date information. You can track a friend if you are out hunting and want to see where they are. I have had great success using the available uploaded maps. Lots of detail and in color.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    I use the Garmin 530HCX, up loaded with topo DVD. It is also a Transceiver so you can talk to others with one, it also receives NOAA weather, good to get up to date information. You can track a friend if you are out hunting and want to see where they are. I have had great success using the available uploaded maps. Lots of detail and in color.
    Yep I have the same one and so does my wife and several other hunting buddies. The comm feature can be SUPER nice if things go sour out in the field and you are split up. Recent events just confirmed that fact that there might be a time (especially if hunting parties split up while afield) that being able to communicate and pin point eachothers locations could be crucial. Though it wasn't needed in this latest instance, it still solidified my reasoning to purchase a $400 GPS for both my wife and myself.

Garmin 60csx & 530hcx. My 60 is tough & reliable. It is also very easy on batteries. I consider it an essential item. My partners and I are trying out the 530s. Good results so far. Both are loaded with Garmins latest Topo software.

Garmin Legend here. Happy.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Garmin 530...awesome...but still don't know how to use ALL the features...great topo...just watch the battery situation if out in the field multiple days...

Garmin 60csx and 62s. I like the 60csx best.
    Any of the ones mentioned will work for you, just a matter of what you prefer, touch screen or buttons.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

not sure if your looking for the latest and greatest or something more in the mid range but all the Garmins mentioned on the prior posts work really well. As far as the latest and greatest for us mere mortals, it would probably have to be Delorme's new PN-60W. It works in conjunction with the SPOT GPS unit to send messages, let family and friends track your hunt/fish/adventure, and basically lets the unit transmit as well as recieve data/information turning your GPS into a variation of your cell phone (well at least the cell phone you had at the turn of the century).
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

76CSX - can get them pretty cheap, now that they have 78 series out. >$250. Nice color, great reception, no protruding antennae like the 60 series, waterproof. easy to use.

I have been using the Garmin 60 csx for about a year and half now and have been very pleased with it. I have used it overseas while working and then come home change out the sd chip and use it on the boat, off the boat, while running around on the snow machines. I have been getting about 18hrs on 2 AA bat. Real easy to use.

I guess a 5star on this unit for all around use

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Thanks for all the replies - Looks like I have a few good choices to pick from.