Thread: Dougs Gun Repair

Default Dougs Gun Repair

fellas, I had Doug take a look at my newly acquired pre-64 .300 HH AI(oops, AI), all was well with the exception of a newly beginning hairline behind the recoil lug. He set me up with some accraglass for me to bed that did not cost but a few bucks as it was just enough or rather more than enough to do the task at hand. As always with him, he was courteous and friendly and willing to help any way he can. Asking if I was "parts'd" up for the winter said yes with the exception of a paddle stock for my short action Ruger. He dug around in his inventory but did not have one, he was busy doing another customers rifle at the time when I knocked but again as mentioned.....he gave his time with professional courteousy. If your looking for help in regards to general smithing or metal work or wanting parts/ammo give him a call. 687-8500

oh....if you need sights mounted correctly he can do this,,,tried 2 other smiths in Fbks area and not acceptable.

now for some reloading time at the bench and over a chrony.

regards,

Doug is right on...........Kinda funny as he worked on my 300 H&H this fall, remounting a old Kuharsky Base and B&L scope.......

AI..............that means Ackley Improved? what is the diffrence over the standard cartdridge?
    Did winchester offer it chambered that way or is that a modification?
    The 300 H&H sure is a good shootin iron..........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thanks for the kind words. My biggest problem is there is only one of me.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Akgramps, am gonna find out exactly what the difference is between the HH and AI chambering. Have a box loaded to fireform and will soon see. I just came across this rifle in really swell shape..alas in the AI chambering but what the heck! Giving the bedding another day for the accraglass to set up "tough", normally I use Marine-Tex but am out.

grizz106, I have a Rem 700 chambered for the 300 H&H AI. I got my dies through Reddings custom die section. I have a good load right now, shooting a 200gr Nos Accubond at 2987 fps avg out of a 24" Lilja barrel. I fireform factory or handloaded 300 WBY mag ammo in my rifle and it works great to form the 300 H&H AI. RL25 and H1000 work great in this caliber.

Greetings Grizz106 and contgrats on the nice rifle.
    I am another that Gunbugs has help out with gun problems. He has a huge parts stash. He had Marlin and Ruger parts that I needed. He also fixed screwups done by other smiths in town, helped with shipping my handguns down south. He's a great gunsmith and a great guy. He is highly recommended for any smithing needs.
    Last edited by Murphy; 10-21-2010 at 10:55.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

He dang sure gave me a good deal on a set of die and a scale.I figure I owe him four bucks more on shipping but I'll just hook him up with coffee if he ever comes hunting in Wrangell
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you