Thread: Looking for drop off hunting Pilots for unit 24A and 25A

Default Looking for drop off hunting Pilots for unit 24A and 25A

My family is looking to go on a caribou hunt this next year and want to find a good pilot to drop us off in unit 24A or 25A. if anyone knows of a pilot or outfitter that will drop us off let me know.

Why 24A or 25A? Neither hold many caribou and opportunities are limited. Most of the 'bou are up in Unit 26 during the hunting season.

Added on edit... the Northern part of 25A will probably be good. I forgot it went so far north. 24A, though, probably won't have many 'bou.

The only flights out of Coldfoot are with Coyote Air and Dirk runs a good opperation.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

just looking at the regs I thought it might be a good place with five a day. but your saying that there all in unit 26 do you know of some people out of there that could put us on the bou

You haven't said when you want to hunt. August? Sept?
    The largest bou herds in this state are all in unit 26 during the summer/early fall. So going with someone who can drop you there is recommended. There are also decent bou numbers in parts of unit 23, but they are not predictable.
    Units 24 and 25 are on the south slope of the Brooks and finding bou there before mid sept would likely be spotty.
    There are operators in Kotzebue for unit 23. 2 in Bettles for middle unit 26, and several operating out of spots along the haul road for eastern 26 or 25. Much of 24 is Nat. Park where you cannot hunt.
    Bettles is a friendly, quiet community very well suited for families. Unit 26 is devoid of trees, just in case your not familiar with our state. Mountains and open tundra. If you want to be in trees, 23 and 25 are better.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

We are looking july early august but i guess I should start looking at the Unit 26 area thanks a lot for all of your help.

Having been up in that country in July and early August I would say that it's total bug HELL. Any chance you can wait until the end of August when the early frosts have knocked them down a bit. My kids do much better in the cold than they do in the bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by redneckalaskan View Post
    We are looking july early august but i guess I should start looking at the Unit 26 area thanks a lot for all of your help.
    For most folks, your time frame is too early. It's still summer up there at that time, the bugs are unbelievably bad, and the bull's antlers are still in velvet and growing (so the trophy value isn't much). Because of the heat, meat care will be a serious challenge, and in one of your other posts you suggested that the liberal bag limit was an attraction. This indicates that you are either looking for lots of meat, or many opportunities at a trophy animal. Either way, if you go with a liberal bag limit, you are going to have lots of meat to care for in very warm weather. I would advise against it.

Most of the nonlocal caribou hunters targeting that area (the Arctic), go there between mid August through mid September.

As to finding air charters up that way, you might also have a look in our Services Directory, which contains a very exhaustive list of commercial operators around the state. Click on "Air Charters" to go directly to the page listing our air taxis and air charter companies around the state. The Directory was one of the main purposes of this site when it first started, but we are currently re-designing it to make it more user-friendly. Still, it's a good place to start.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Ya my family we are in it for the meat we really dont care about the rack. But I have been told about the bugs and im not a big fan of them. you guys are right might need to look a little later in Aug. thanks guys for the help.

Another consideration about fly-ins is the additional cost of flying out all that meat. Check the prices of some of the outfits like 40 Mile Air, Coyote Air and Bushwacker Air. You start stacking in two caribou per person and things get pretty spendy REALLY quick. This is the biggest reason that I don't do fly-ins very often with my kids. You can drop 5 grand pretty quick for three people and three caribou.

I was assuming you were a non res. I see I must be wrong. I will now assume you live in Anch or Fbks. Drive to Tok and fly out with 40 mile air. Since your in it for the meat, that will be about as cheap as you can get from your assumed location.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!