Thread: AK Range Skiing

Default AK Range Skiing

As the new season approaches, I am looking for new zones to explore. Does anyone have experiance skiing the Alaska Range, specifically the Eldridge, Coffee, Ruth, Tokositna, or Kanikula drainages? This is the area north of the Peters Hills and west of Denali State Park. In the southern foothills of the Denali massif. It is somewhat remote, but could probably be accessed with the proper approach. Anybody skied this zone??

I have not skied (snowboard) it but I've been eyeing that area. Later in the winter, once the Tokositna River is good and frozen over you can travel to that area fairly easily by snowmachine. I've been up the ridge-line west of the Tokositna glacier on the snowgo and I imagine with a bit of exploration you can get above tree-line in other spots.

Talking

Sounds like you have been in the area a bit, are the glaciers resonably safe and easy to travel? I imagine this is the best way to get above the alder. How is the snow back in there, does it seem like it gets alot of wind? When do the rivers typically freeze? My focus will be on the tokosha mts. and the kanikula this winter. Thanks for the response