Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak WOW!

Thumbs up Kodiak WOW!

Bear wrecked the goat hunt, wish I hade a tag! Deer,ducks and Halibut! Kodiak Adventures Lodge! I'll be back! I heard he has 2 cancellations this fall?
    Louie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry to hear about your goat hunt but **** thats a big ole bear!

HOLY CRAP!

Sorry to hear about you rgoat hunt but ****!!! that sucker is HUGE...

Yikes!!! That is a huge bear!!!
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

I went deer hunting last October at Kodiak Adventures Lodge and had a good hunt. Very professional operation. I was there a week and saw 6 bears but nothing like that giant.

ADF&G has an excellent video on judging bears. Their website has some clips from the video "Take a Closer Look". The video provides an excellent basis for evaluating bears.
    Joe (Ak)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    ADF&G has an excellent video on judging bears. Their website has some clips from the video "Take a Closer Look". The video provides an excellent basis for evaluating bears.
    Joe (Ak)
    what are ya saying joe? That this pic appears to be one of a BIG FUZZY sow?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The "FUZZY sow" part sounds right (though, not too heavy on the "fuzzy" part)!
    Joe (Ak)

So what did this mean old beeyatch do to ruin your goat hunt?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Yeah, Me Too, Gotta hear the story
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Yeah, it isn't clear how a bear standing there could ruin your hunt. I expected to see a ransacked camp or something to that effect. The last goat story had several bears sighted in the story leading up to a 9 + inch billy being harvested.

I don't see any arms or a rifle in her mouth...so I would love to hear the rest of the story..inquiring minds just gotta know..

I'm a big man and if I think I can fit my head in a bears mouth, it's a BIIIG bear-sow or otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Joe (Ak)
    That is a good video.

Advertising?

Joe is not making any money off that video considering the Canadians made it for their guiding industry and our Fish and Game adopted it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akmommy View Post
    Advertising?
    no... not advertising... it is the video that shows the difference between sows boars and big bears over BIIIIIGGGG bears. over bears...

so i will throw my vote in for the pros to guage... kinda like how big is this moose..

Sow ~ 7'9"-8'3" average.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I thought he meant it was advertising for the lodge with the openings do to cancellations.

Vince
    If there was a "Playboar" magazine that bear would be on the centerfold.
    Great picture showing the classic characteristics of a sow, everything from the
    nose to the "cute" little ankles. (cute I'm sure to a boar!).
    I'd GUESS between 7 & 7.5; not yet good enough to get within an inche!
    Joe (Ak)

Let me get my feet wet here... I've seen the ADFG video but it has been some time ago. It's tough for me because you can't see his/her neck. I remember reading somewhere that on avg. from the snote to shoulder is about 3 feet (anyone else ever heard this?) to me that puts her/him at about.... 9ft. even if you can't see her neck (and assuming that method is even accurate) from her rump to the ground has to be at least 3 ft. using that as a gauge hump to shoulder another 3ft that puts her at 6 plus her neck and head, yeah for me judging only from this pic I'd say closer to 9 (tip of tye snote to the ground). Head looks massive, ears small, big hump, sway back... looks like a shooter for sure to me.

Where did I go wrong there?

I have a bear hunt coming up next spring so this is a great opportunity for me to learn, fire away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast