Thread: new sneakers for the 180

Default new sneakers for the 180

Just got a set of big tires for the 180 after doing the dumb thing of buying sight unseen. Paid a guy for a set of Gar-aero's & tail wheel he told me were in great shape and not checked or dri-rotted. they were left will another guy and when I picked them up I took them to a mechanic he told me that they were not airworthy. The fellow I bought them from was gone out of town and now forgot to ans. his email,oh well I guess your never to old to learn.
    Anyway got some 29x11x10's and the 4.00x4 tail wheel. Never flew big tires before anybody got any advise? I won't be getting them on until the spring and just wondering- day dreaming , looking to hunt on the north slope this coming summer. Thanks guys

Pros and cons.

Flotation is better so you'll be able to go into softer areas.
    Rolling diameter will allow you to operate on more uneven ground. (Rocks, drifts, driftwood, brush)
    Braking power is improved on good surfaces. (Stay off the brakes in sand)
    Prop clearance is improved.

Taxiing visibility will be worse.
    Ground handling will be worse.
    Tail damage from rocks will increase.
    Prop damage from rocks will become normal.
    Airspeed will be slower.
    Can't fit a penetration tail ski on the big fork.
    Can't switch back to small tires without new wheels. (About $1400.00)
    You can sling some serious mud onto the bottom of your wings, on the tail, and into the prop.

Big tires are great if you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Just got a set of big tires for the 180 after doing the dumb thing of buying sight unseen. Paid a guy for a set of Gar-aero's & tail wheel he told me were in great shape and not checked or dri-rotted. they were left will another guy and when I picked them up I took them to a mechanic he told me that they were not airworthy. The fellow I bought them from was gone out of town and now forgot to ans. his email,oh well I guess your never to old to learn.
    Anyway got some 29x11x10's and the 4.00x4 tail wheel. Never flew big tires before anybody got any advise? I won't be getting them on until the spring and just wondering- day dreaming , looking to hunt on the north slope this coming summer. Thanks guys
    Be careful with the first few power (wheel) landings on hard runways. The bigger tires have an inertia that you aren't used to. It isn't bad with 29s, but it's more noticeable than with 8.50s or smaller. The nose may want to pitch cown on you the first time or two . . . . .

get used to them on gravel first, then go to pavement. Gravel is a little bit more forgiving.

Default thanks for the tips

Thanks Guys, I'll do some flying of the gravel first. I do have a set of wheels and bearing and brake rotors with 850x6's on them. I plan on useing the big tires for clam digging and hunting 10 days a year.
    Mr. Pid, do you know if I'll need to take the big tailwheel off when I put on the smaller tires? Thanks Tom

You shouldn't be able to tell much difference between the stock tailwheel and the Gar in stance on the ground. You definitely will in how easily it'll taxi in soft stuff like sand and mud. You'll probably need a little more braking to steer it, too, especially if you run it soft. Make sure your tailwheel housing is firmly attached and doesn't have any give at the spring. I had to add epoxy on mine. Big tailwheels do add some stress and that's the first place it'll show. Don't worry too much about the pitching at touch-down. It really is a minor thing and after a few flights you won't even notice it. I won't be surprised if you keep them on as your primary tires. The new AOA will make your performance off the ground better. It's hard to go back.