Thread: Spot 2

Default Spot 2

I keep hearing about the spot 2....how does it work? what does it do? is it worth it? where do you get one? how much do they cost? does it take the place of a sat phone?
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

www.findmespot.com. They allow you to push a button for SOS as well as sending pre programed messages. 120 bucks, 99 buck per year, unlimited messaging. We (the wifey and I ) love ours.

I got one this fall after returning late from a caribou hunt to a very unhappy wife. It was worth the money for the peace of mind it brought to her and the peace and quiet it brought to me.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I got one as well and used it for my black bear hunt this past spring with my daughter out of Homer. From near as I can tell it worked 100% and it has the additional messaging that is great. Make sure that you purchase the rescue insurance when you activate it. Well worth the cost and the only time that you can do it.

I would argue that if you hunt solo that you should have one of each. The reason is that with an iridium sat phone you can call your wife every night and with the spot2 she can check your progress and direct help if things go bad. Set up a gmail account and it is pretty easy for your spouse to figure out where you are.

Just my thoughts.
    Delorme has a new gps that is supposed to allow you to text messages from the field. I would love to play with that then I could leave some of this stuff at home.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Spot 2 worked like a champ for me on both hunts this year. Folks at home had fun keeping tabs on things.

Is the spot2 significantly better than the original spot.

According to Spot, version II has faster acquisition of it's GPS coordinates. Other than that, it offers one more button that you can program for another (personal) message. It is also smaller, but uses AAA batteries instead of the AA in the original version.

Personally, that last item killed the deal for me. I just don't want to be forced to carry another battery type. And they don't last as long.

So to push Rawdog's questions a little further, what is the battery life?

Can you just turn it on when you leave town and it transmits a position that your wife at home can monitor somehow, online or something? Kaboku mentions "she can check your progress" is that without your sending a message?

Vek also mentions, "folks at home had fun keeping tabs on things"
    Do you have to be cognizant or conscious to have it working I mean, as in if it is on for the whole trip, it stops moving and your wife knows where to find the Bears Den your remains are now resting in?

Ok back to serious, $99/ yr for messaging, but little messages right? Not really a substitute for a Sat phone tho right?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Awww no answers here, well I'm still not sold, another elec device to carry around (?) and now, if I have one....

"If I don't report in my wife has to worry, if I miss my check in time, how long before she has to call the USCG?

Or I'll be gone for a week, If I am late more than 72 hrs, call the insurance company......

Ok, I'm just kidding, kinda
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    So to push Rawdog's questions a little further, what is the battery life?

Can you just turn it on when you leave town and it transmits a position that your wife at home can monitor somehow, online or something? Kaboku mentions "she can check your progress" is that without your sending a message?

Vek also mentions, "folks at home had fun keeping tabs on things"
    Do you have to be cognizant or conscious to have it working I mean, as in if it is on for the whole trip, it stops moving and your wife knows where to find the Bears Den your remains are now resting in?

Ok back to serious, $99/ yr for messaging, but little messages right? Not really a substitute for a Sat phone tho right?
    You can purchase the tracking service if you want. It's 50 bucks per year in addition to the basic $99 plan. You turn on SPOT, leave it on and it sends your location out every 10 minutes and whomever you want can go to a website and see you on a map. I don't have the tracking, I don't need it. With the basic plan you have SOS, Help, OK and Custom Message. You have a button for each one on SPOT. Everytime you push a button SPOT gets your GPS coordinates and sends the appropriate message to whomever you have set it up to go to, up to 10 people/emails or text messages. You do this using your web account at www.findmespot.com. go check it out. When you register your SPOT you set up your account.

SOS- emergency only. SPOT keeps sending the message until you turn it off or it runs out of batteries. Same with Help. SPOT says it will send SOS for 7 days with new batteries before they run out. Help, Ok, and Custom Message.... You set these up ahead of time for your trip depending on what you are doing. For example, when I was bear baiting alone last spring I had Help message say, "I need some help, must have atv problems or something". The wifey would get an email with my gps coords and link. Click the link shows my location on a map. She could then call my buddy and have him come see whats up. No need for rescue, otherwise I'd push SOS. Ok said "All is well I love you" Custom Message was "I got one!". Help, OK and Custom all include gps coords and the map link.

When we went on a fly in sheep hunt. We set up the Help message to be used for an early pickup at the strip. Not really Help as in we needed help. Our pilot got an email that said " We're at the strip, come get us when you can" Of course we planned this all ahead of time.

Anyway, that should give you an idea. For 120 bucks (on sale) and 99 bucks a year and only 7ozs I think it's a great deal. And so does the wife.

i love mine and i have the tracking so the service 150 a year but that is not much per month. i use mine all the time in the boat and hunting snowmaching that sorta thing. the batterys on mine that came with it lasted about 10 days in the cold the unit got very cold and left on with the tracking on the whole time. i put some better batterys in it this time and has got more the 10 days on it now and still going great

Thanks Snyd, and rmk, that does sound pretty impressive, I may be in if only for my wife.
    She doesn't worrry tho after years of seeing guys come home mad that the USCG was called on them, being late or missing a checkup by radio, etc.
    I don't think she'd call unless she heard from God, (which neither she nor anyone we know did the night I was drifitng in a raft for fourteen miles one night) everyone was , my EPIRB saved the day tho .
    I still wonder especially when hunting Solo, worst case scenario, then what

Good Info, Thanks for reply

I have a SPOT 2 myself. I am bringing it on my Elk hunt this weekend. While it may not substitute for a SAT Phone for sheep or remote goat hunts, it will suffice for most of my use. Safety and rescue require more than just a phone or an EPIRB. I will have a "float plan" filed with my wife, my boss, and my pick-up/backup pick-ups. They will know where I am hunting, when I want to be picked up, what to do if they get a "Help" message, and will get daily OK messages.

I use/bring it with me everyday I hunt. The important part of rescue is the rescuers having an idea where to start. Whether I am just doing a road system deer or a Raspberry elk 10 day trip, someone knows what I am doing. I have the utmost confidence I could survive on my own without help, but I don't want to have to!!

As far as the spot itself, don't know about battery life. Triple A lithiums are very light. I have enough batteries for 21 days of continuous use according to the manual. It relies on gps, so coverage may be spotty at times, it has worked all but one time i have used it though. If your gps works, it should work. All buttons have to be activated, and are pretty fool proof. You won't accidentally set it off. That brings up the
    Do you have to be cognizant or conscious to have it working
    . Yes and no. If you have tracking, it will send a signal every 10 minutes. I don't have "tracking". If i were to become incapacitated it would be useless. I keep it on my shoulder strap or belt loop at all times, so as long as I could press a button I am good.

I thought about renting or buying a SAT Phone. While that would be "the ultimate" I didn't do it. It is expensive (yeah, yeah, you can't put a price on safety....), bulky, and expensive (I know, I said that already). I thought about an epirb too, The downfall to that is, no peace of mind for my wife. Even if I use the SOS on the SPOT, my wife will know and she can be proactive in helping me by giving the float plan to the rescuers (the coast guard probably!!), and my work (the coast guard!!)

All in all, it works for me. Not for everyone though.