Thread: Looking at a used boat

Cool Looking at a used boat

I am looking at a used USCOLA 24' boat with a 454ci inboard and a hamilton 212 jet and I was wondering what I should look out for before jumping in on this. Any help would be great.

The boats used to be made in Palmer. Not sure if they still are but everyone I have personally seen has been very well built.
    The 454 is a gas hog but I think you already know this. If the motor has a lot of hours on it the newer 496 is much more fuel efficient.
    Tennessee

Willster33, PM sent.

Smile Used Boat

Sent you a pm.

Talking 1st things 1st

First you must get the "BOSSES" wifes buy-in. And how do I know this you may ask, well I live next door to ya. Come on folks help the willster out with as much good about these boats as possible, I'll be helping sell this to her also.

"Dear boat gods, please help the willster get his new boat. Let the wife have an open mind and actually think it's the best idea he's had in a long time. amen"

Default Hang Up Some Pretty Curtains and Drapes...

make sure they match the bottom paint and hope she notices.

Boat used to b built in Palmer but went out of business last summer. Only no one person who owned one and he had nothing but good things to say. They are built strong from what I saw and should last a lifetime.

Default Got the OK

Less excited then I am but willing any way, so it looks like I am in business. This boat I have come across has been setting for two years but sounds to be in great condition. I am at work now and this last week is going to be tough to get through as I want to get over there and take a good look at it. Is there any issues with the boat sitting this long 2 yr?? He tells me it was serviced profesionaly prior to getting put up for the year and he never got it out again.

Will

Default Moving forward

My wife is less excited then I am but willing any way, so it looks like I am in business. This boat I have come across has been setting for two years but sounds to be in great condition. I am at work now and this last week is going to be tough to get through as I want to get over there and take a good look at it. Is there any issues with the boat sitting this long (2 yr) ?? He tells me it was serviced profesionaly prior to getting put up for the year and he never got it out again.

Will

The less you run something it seems the more problems you can have with it. Especially fuel related. The main thing I would be concerned about was if the boat was properly winterized before being put into storage. But even then after two years you could have fuel related issues due to the fuel gumming up and clogging either the ejectors (if it has fuel injection) or the carbs. If the batteries were left on the boat they would be toast for sure. If the block was not properly winterized it could crack.
    I would check for leaking fluids anywhere and absolutely insist the boat be brought inside a warm hanger first and be allowed to thaw and have the motor started up. Run the motor at varying speeds to see if it bogs down. This would require the block be re winterized but better be safe than sorry. If the seller will not let you do this I would pass untill the weather warms up and you can run the boat.
    Tennessee

Smile

My friend who turned me on to this boat has a shop we can take it to check it out, and that sound like a very good idea. When I get that far I will have to ask how to winterize her again.
    Thanks
    Will

Default USCOLA Boats

I would be very careful. Several years ago prior to the ownership and name change, there were several boats that had a flawed design in the double hull, resulting in cracks in the outer hull and inner frame work. I know this first hand as I thought I was going to drown on my bosses 24' USCOLA out of Homer three years ago. He took the boat to Palmer and sitting in the yard was another boat that had the whole interior ripped out, floor included and you could see where the weak spots were. $10,000 later my bosses boat has been completely rebuilt and he has not had any further problems with the hull.

He had nothing but great things about the new owners ( sorry I can not recall the new name of the boat shop ) and their work was top notch. If you would like to talk to him directly ( my boss ) drop me a line and I will give you his number.

Other than that...... those boats are built like a brick **** house and should last forever. I would hate to see you barely afford to buy a new boat and end up with a major repair like Bob did.

Tom

Default USCOLA is now OMAK inc in Palmer

USCOLA has been bought by OMAK and is still in business in Palmer. I sent an email asking about the hull and I am waiting to hear back. If anyone has information on this hull issue I would love to hear about it.

Thanks
    Will