Thread: Adak caribou...a little long

Default Adak caribou...a little long

First time to Ak, wife wanted to visit a friend on the island(Adak). We landed in Anchorage, drove down to Seward for a couple days and then up to Homer for a couple more. Scenery is just breath taking around there. Back to Anchorage for the flight to Adak where we spent a week visiting and hiking/sightseeing. I had some loose plans to do some caribou hunting during the week, as time permitted.
    I was introduced to a local(we called him "Tim the teacher")who turned out to be extremely helpful and in general a great guy. On the first day we glassed 3 on a hillside about 600-700 yds away. We made an attempt to cut them off before they got too far into the hills but failed. Spent a lot of time glassing the hills, weather wasn't cold enough to bring them to lower elevations. One thing for certain, the weather changes often and with little warning...waterproof is the key term.
    Second day started out fairly good, aside from the fact I forgot my waterproof gear, temps were tolerable. We had access to an argo, what a crazy machine, which makes getting to the far reaches much easier. We would park at the bottom of a hill and then climb to the top and glass for caribou. This seemed to work good and on the third of fourth ascent we spotted a small herd/group of five on the distant hillside. They were about 400 yards off and seemed to be feeding toward the east. If they kept feeding in that direction the two ridges would intersect and would make a great ambush point. I head back down the hill and along the ridge heading east hoping to get to the ambush point without being spotted.
    Ascending the little rock outcropping I knock an arrow as I reach the crest. Easing to the ridge and peaking over...nothing. I climbed to the wrong outcropping! I had to retrace my steps and head over to the next outcropping. Again, I knock an arrow, ease to the crest and peak over...yes! They were continuing to work to the east and should walk right into my ambush.
    This is hard for me to write but I was about to experience the worst fear of my life. The first bull crested the ridge and turned east, setting up a perfect broadside shot at 15 yards. I begin to stand and draw the bow but couldn't, my muscles were frozen! For the life of me I can't get to full draw and the big bull just trots away. In frustration I kneel down and jam my left arm towards the ground. I finally get to full draw when the third bull turns and offers a broadside shot. I settle the pin just behind the shoulder, touch the release trigger and send the arrow whistling toward the bull. What followed was a loud thump, the shot seemed perfect. However, the bull trots off seeming rather casual for what had just transpired, leaving me uncertain of my shot. By this time Tim had worked his way over to my postition and we watched as the bull continued to follow the rest of the herd. He was showing signs of slowing so we waited and watched, He made it about another 80 yards and then bedded down his final time.
    At this point I said a short prayer thanking God for this opportunity.

What..no pics??
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

What an AWESOME hunt story, loved the detail of the stalk and shot, etc. Congrats, and also

What..no pics??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Great writeup so far, sounds like a good hunt and I hope there is a part 2 to this with pics!

Some pics from the hunt, next time I'll get better pics. Hope the link works...first attempt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlvandyke/

Default Nice!

Wet knees and all. The markings of a good stalk. I hear you on the body not working thing. It just means you are really alive. No sense in hunting if it is not exciting. Might as well just go shopping instead. "Oh look honey, a nicely wrapped roast." NOT!!!!!
    I've never been out there to that part of Alaska. Looks like fun.
    Thanks for sharing,
    ARR

That link worked great for me, VERY COOL, what a great country to hunt, eh?

and looks like you had some pretty good weather? Thanks for the link, and again your story was great to read, well done
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Great story - sounds like a fun hunt! I'd love to make it out that way. Thanks for sharing. The pictures are great, too!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thanks for posting the link! Nice looking bou and looks like you all had some good weather too!

It's amazing how that draw weight seems to "double" when you are actually drawing on an animal!! Great story thanks for sharing!
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

great story and it looks like nice terrain for stalking, pity you couldnt get on the bigger 1 but any animal with a bow is a trophy....congrats

Thanks for the photo link....I remember that hillside from my youth.

thanks for the kind words, it was a fantastic trip and thanks to Ak Airlines visa card the cost was around $30 for airfare