Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Fly rod/reel

Default Question on Fly rod/reel

Being brand new to fly fishing, I was wondering if any of you veterans can give me a few names of brands ( reel/rod ) recommended and should I look for anything specific for trout . Thanks

Just starting out I would recommend a rod/reel combo. Redington, Sage and Ross Worldwide have some nice ones. For trout rods I usually use a 6wt from 8'6" to 9'6". If you are going to be fishing the Kenai a lot I would go with a 10' 7wt. Now any reel with a good drag; Lamson, Orvis, Loop and Ross will do just fine, I prefer a mid or large arbor on my reels, but to each their own. Hope this helps.

-Larry

4-6 wt
    Sage, TFO, Echo, Scott, Beaulah

Reels. Match to rod wt.
    ross, lamson

Most recommended rods reel brands on this board. According to me.

How much do you want to spend? That will determine a lot.

Also, what kind of trout?

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    How much do you want to spend? That will determine a lot.

Also, what kind of trout?

-Dan
    I guess around $150 would be my funds, not sure what kind of Trout, whatever is around the Chugach forest area . Never have freshwater fished before all my years spent on the ocean hehe .

Good fly line and backing will eat up 1/2 your budget

Like power drifter said, a decent fly line will cost you $50+ so your options will be limited in that price range. As for a reel, I've always had good luck with the Integrity line of reels from Okuma. 7/8 wt runs $70 I believe and the drag is actually really good for an inexpensive reel. I've been using them for years with no problems at all. Not the smoothest, but they do the job. I did splurge on a Helios series, and I love that one...way more money though..

As far as rods...I've only owned St. Croix so I don't have much advice other than be sure to get one with a lifetime warranty. (ie. St. Croix, TFO, etc.)

For around $150, look at a combo at Cabelas. They got some nice starter outfits in your range. I started with one myself. A 5 or 6 wt would make a nice all around trout rod. Four piece nine foot rod is my suggestion. The kits I am talking about come with rod, reel, line, etc.. All you got to do is learn how to cast it and pick up the basic tools as you go. Get a Tie-Fast nail knot tool, some nippers, etc.. A fly box with some flies, you would be set. Consider Lefty Krehs casting dvd if you don't already know how to cast. Cabelas sells it as well. Winter time would be ideal for this. Come spring, you can hit the ground with your feet running.

Below is one such example. Five weight four piece 9' rod with reel and line for $139.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi..._SEQ_105571980

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi..._SEQ_105571980

Good suggestion Dan! I got one of these as well for my girlfriend when she first started. It was a 4 piece 4wt, but it was a great starter rod!

All good suggestions on the rods for midrange stuff that will serve you well for quite a while, but within this you want to consider the action. The old adage that a slower rod favors the inexperienced fisherman does not apply as well in Alaska. Even a #4 woolly booger is a pain to throw any distance with a soft rod (The adage applies much better to dry fly fishing). So, I'd start with something faster of which there are plenty in the TFO, Echo realms. Start looking at sage or loomis or orvis and you start paying for the name too much for what you want, gotta spend bucks in those brands to get something truly fast and light (but they are sweet once you got em).

I'd avoid the cabela's attempts at decent rods as I've heard little but trouble from them regarding just silly breakage of blanks, corks, and guides and lots of rod returns.

If this is not in your budget or interest, then look at the cheaper ones (70-100) that are two piece as cheap four piecers are often like buggy whips, and then instantly start saving for a rig that would cost....Rod=150-180, Reel=40-80, line and backing=50-70 for once you are properly hooked.

I started on a 8foot6 St. Croix baseline model, the shortness and two piece nature of this rod gave it more backbone than others within the pricepoint and it served me well for several years. A cheap martin reel and some decent line and I was out the door for less than 140 bucks. Please do not start with Cortland, Ugly Stick, Abu, or other super low enders, they are heavy, soft and warranty work is nearly non existent. My .02

Thanks for all the replys , that cabelas setup looks good for me . I don't need anything serious just want to try my hand at it while I'm out camping and hopefully get something for the fire. Another question , are there yearly canoe rentals in the waters south of anchorage ? I don't know exactly what month I will be up and I been reading lots of places close down in certain months .

Rumbarr not to hijack your thread but I thought I'd get the guys opinion on a flyrod matter.
    I purchased a TFO the other day. I thought I was buying a 5wt 4pc. the protective felt sack said 5wt and so did the sticker on the plastic bag. I went fishing w/ said rod and caught approximately 20 fish. That night I had my bifocles on and was admiring my new rod and noticed the writing on the side of the rod said 4wt. Now then, I like the 4wt but I purposely chose the 5wt for a little more back bone in case I got the incidental coho. My question is what should I do, should I keep the 4wt, or go back and exchange the used rod for the 5wt that was advertised on the packaging? Maybe I should get a poll going so we can have a big global discussion on this matter? Whatcha'll think?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    ...I thought I was buying a 5wt 4pc. the protective felt sack said 5wt and so did the sticker on the plastic bag. I went fishing w/ said rod and caught approximately 20 fish. That night I had my bifocles on and was admiring my new rod and noticed the writing on the side of the rod said 4wt. Now then, I like the 4wt but I purposely chose the 5wt for a little more back bone in case I got the incidental coho. ...Whatcha'll think?
    Bring the whole mess back and get a 5wt. Mispackaged at store or factory.

It is possible (extremely unlikely), that it is a 5 wt, and the wrong decal was put on the blank at the factory. One way to check this on TFO is by the colors of the alignment dots - each weight rod has a different color; I think the 6 wts are pink and the 8 wts are gold dots, and so forth - I dunno what the 4's and 5's are. If the dots are different colors, then you have a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Rumbarr not to hijack your thread but I thought I'd get the guys opinion on a flyrod matter.
    I purchased a TFO the other day. I thought I was buying a 5wt 4pc. the protective felt sack said 5wt and so did the sticker on the plastic bag. I went fishing w/ said rod and caught approximately 20 fish. That night I had my bifocles on and was admiring my new rod and noticed the writing on the side of the rod said 4wt. Now then, I like the 4wt but I purposely chose the 5wt for a little more back bone in case I got the incidental coho. My question is what should I do, should I keep the 4wt, or go back and exchange the used rod for the 5wt that was advertised on the packaging? Maybe I should get a poll going so we can have a big global discussion on this matter? Whatcha'll think?
    Personally I like it sporty and have a 4wt TFO. So its all about what you want but I would stay with the 4wt.

Do you already have a 4 weight? If yes then I'd go back and get the 5. If not I think a 4 weight is for sure one of the weights to own.
    They used to label rods 4/5 or 5/6. They have gone to just single # and I think its just to make us all buy more. Does the reel and line match the rod?

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Do you already have a 4 weight? If yes then I'd go back and get the 5. If not I think a 4 weight is for sure one of the weights to own.
    They used to label rods 4/5 or 5/6. They have gone to just single # and I think its just to make us all buy more. Does the reel and line match the rod?
    I'm gonna keep it I really liked the way it fished. the reel I have on it is a Ross "Flyrise2" for line weights 4,5&6 (thats what the box said) w/ floating line. I'm not sure if it matches but it sure felt and worked good. My other reel is a Ross "Cimmarron" w/ sinking tip
    the rod is a TFO Lefty Kreh professional series 4wt 8'6" 4pc
    I broke my 6wt Lamiglass the other day thats why I got this one. Now I have a 10wt for kings and a 4 wt for trout, now I suppose i'll be needing a 7wt for silvers

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    Another question , are there yearly canoe rentals in the waters south of anchorage ? I don't know exactly what month I will be up and I been reading lots of places close down in certain months .

Alaskacanoe (Max), one of our moderators, owns Alaska Canoe and Campground in Sterling. He rents canoes, rafts, trailers, etc.. and is a heck of a nice guy. Rented a trailer from him a few weeks back to haul my raft around the Upper Kenai.

http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/rafting.html

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Alaskacanoe (Max), one of our moderators, owns Alaska Canoe and Campground in Sterling. He rents canoes, rafts, trailers, etc.. and is a heck of a nice guy. Rented a trailer from him a few weeks back to haul my raft around the Upper Kenai.

http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/rafting.html

-Dan
    Taking some notes here, about how long is the drive from Anchorage airport to Sterling ?

Two hours.

Thanks for the input, looks like its gonna be a blast, however I might consider now going with some guide or fishing close to a populated area, After looking at a bunch of videos on youtube, I had no idea just how many bears there are close to the waterways and not afraid at all of humans. I really wanted to rent a canoe and get into some of the more isolated areas to fish and camp but I'm having second thoughts now hehe .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast