Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the area and forum

Default New to the area and forum

I have been stationed here (Army, JBER) for a year now, haven't spent any time hunting yet, been out of the country for a while. I only brought my .308 WIN, .22LR, and 12 Gauge O/U with me, I am looking for a few hunters to follow along and provide a couple of able hands as I get a grasp of hunting in AK. Moose, sheep, goat, caribou, ptarmigan, hare, anything that my current (albeit small) arsenal will bring down... Just let me know if it is permissible, thanks!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

welcome to the forum.. and before i welcome you to that area... Well AK is 1/3 the size of the lower 48 states... so a little more detail is needed... so any way welcome to AK... you're down to small game this time of year.. keep your eyes open for winter caribou openers in Dec the haul road is open if your Bow certified.

where ya at? what experience do you have? what are you hoping to accomplish? and what are you after? all of those need to be answered so folks can decide if you're their type of hunting partner or not...

WELCOME aboard... lots to learn here.. jump in don't be shy.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Welcome Robo

Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    I have been stationed here (Army, JBER) for a year now, haven't spent any time hunting yet, been out of the country for a while. I only brought my .308 WIN, .22LR, and 12 Gauge O/U with me, I am looking for a few hunters to follow along and provide a couple of able hands as I get a grasp of hunting in AK. Moose, sheep, goat, caribou, ptarmigan, hare, anything that my current (albeit small) arsenal will bring down... Just let me know if it is permissible, thanks!
    Robo,

I'll join Vince in welcoming you and the suggestion to just jump in.

I hear you saying that you want to meet other hunters in person. I've heard that from more and more people on this forum lately. And also there are many posts on this forum saying what a good time was had by all when such meetings do happen; I've posted a few of those myself.

I'm located about an hour north of you, in the Valley.

I haven't said anything publicly about this before, but now is as good a time as any. I've been thinking about having a forum get together a couple of months from now. I know a great place right between Palmer and Wasilla (easy for all Valley-ites to attend) and its also right on the Parks Hwy (so easy to find for Anchoragites too). It has an excellent selection of cold beverages and both excellent and practically free food during certain hours. Wonderful chef and staff too.

Let me know if you'd be interested in that type of gathering of hunters, and ya know, we could probably let the fishermen and other outdoorsmen come too maybe if they promise to buy a plate of nachos or something.

Interested?

In the mean time, do some searching of this forum; there's a gold mine already here in the form of posts and hunt reports and such.

And if you have questions or problems about how to use this forum, it has a whole separate sub forum just on this topic: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/.../30-Forum-tips No question is too dumb to post there.

Again, welcome!

Welcome to the forum, where are you.......?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Welcome to the forum, where are you.......?
    He said JBER (Anchorage).

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    He said JBER (Anchorage).
    JBER = Anchorage....... HOW??????????????????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Jber

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    JBER = Anchorage....... HOW??????????????????
    Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson

See, Robo? Proof positive that the only dumb question is the unasked one. Thanks for proving that so quickly, Vince!

Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson

See, Robo? Proof positive that the only dumb question is the unasked one. Thanks for proving that so quickly, Vince!
    well then not only do we have to teach him how to hunt up here.. But how to talk... every one knows where FT Rich is.

meet on face book here

I live in Anchorage, hunted purely firearm for 30+ years (North Carolina mostly, little bit of TN, TX, and PA mixed in). I've hunted whitetail deer, black bear, rabbit, squirrel, raccoon, chukar, and dove. I have dreamed of mountain goat and sheep hunts since I was a little kid (no trophies, the experience alone will suffice), I read A LOT of books about hunting in Alaska, Canada, and Africa. I figured since I have this opportunity, I'd get 1/3 or maybe 2/3 of my dream hunts accomplished. I've asked a few people about assisting but I was blown off for one reason or another.

I have to "prove" myself alot as there aren't many "deeply tanned" folks that drive big ol' trucks, hunt, fish, or ride Harley-Davidsons. Most folks assume that I am some urban kid trying to "fit in" when in actuality I'm just a simple country farm kid.

Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm hoping to get my gear together so that I can experience Alaska to its fullest.

well stik around long enough... and you will only be "deeply tanned" from the waist up... welcome to winter LOL!

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    well stik around long enough... and you will only be "deeply tanned" from the waist up... welcome to winter LOL!
    Yeah Vince, I'm noticing the difference between "NC cold = 30's" and "AK cold = -30's"... Whomever said "black absorbs heat" was a corn swallowing liar!!! LOL!

P.S. I'm finding the quote at the bottom of your posts to be VERY appropriate!

You can't say Deeply Tanned on this forum it might hurt someone feeling..........heheheheheheheheh
    On a more serious note: there is still time to whack a Black Bear, (Woops, I said whack.......me bad)........

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    You can't say Deeply Tanned on this forum it might hurt someone feeling..........heheheheheheheheh
    On a more serious note: there is still time to whack a Black Bear, (Woops, I said whack.......me bad)........
    Reckon I could use a .22LR on that afore mentioned creature at 600 yards? (Yeah, I've lurked before...) Hahahahaha!

Buy Batin's book about hunting Alaska, and Strahan's book about float hunting. Both contain a wealth of useful information about hunting in Alaska. Both set a standard for presenting good information about hunting in Alaska that has yet to be equaled.
    Department of Fish & Game has several excellent videos and a number of hunt clinics are available in the Anchorage area.
    A lot of great hunting opportunities provided one is willing to put forth the effort to become informed and put forth the effort in the "field". Best of luck.
    Joe (Ak)

Default rep

Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    Reckon I could use a .22LR on that afore mentioned creature at 600 yards? (Yeah, I've lurked before...) Hahahahaha!
    Then you know what Rep is, and making me laugh like that just got you some. Press the "Settings" link in the upper right of this page and see.

I haven't said anything publicly about this before, but now is as good a time as any. I've been thinking about having a forum get together a couple of months from now. I know a great place right between Palmer and Wasilla (easy for all Valley-ites to attend) and its also right on the Parks Hwy (so easy to find for Anchoragites too). It has an excellent selection of cold beverages and both excellent and practically free food during certain hours. Wonderful chef and staff too.

Let me know if you'd be interested in that type of gathering of hunters, and ya know, we could probably let the fishermen and other outdoorsmen come too maybe if they promise to buy a plate of nachos or something.

Interested?
    Sounds good to me! I need all of the assistance you guys are willing to give me, this place is a little large and confusing for us "Lower 48" types!

You should make a topic on this. I would love to attend and I bet a bunch load of other hunters would. I just moved here in June as well and this would be a great way to meet other hunters.

Where at in PA? I lived there before here. I lived outside of philadelphia, hunted there with bow. Hunted SE of Pittsburgh (grandparents) with a rifle, and went to college in Williamsport and hunted bow/rifle there

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    Where at in PA? I lived there before here. I lived outside of philadelphia, hunted there with bow. Hunted SE of Pittsburgh (grandparents) with a rifle, and went to college in Williamsport and hunted bow/rifle there
    North of Pittsburgh, Slippery Rock, Butler, Prospect area. That place was AWESOME! My buddy's dad lives up there, I was looking at retiring there.

Robo,

I'll join Vince in welcoming you and the suggestion to just jump in.

I hear you saying that you want to meet other hunters in person. I've heard that from more and more people on this forum lately. And also there are many posts on this forum saying what a good time was had by all when such meetings do happen; I've posted a few of those myself.

Interested?

In the mean time, do some searching of this forum; there's a gold mine already here in the form of posts and hunt reports and such.

And if you have questions or problems about how to use this forum, it has a whole separate sub forum just on this topic: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/.../30-Forum-tips No question is too dumb to post there.

Again, welcome!
    You should make a topic on this. I would love to attend and I bet a bunch load of other hunters would. I just moved here in June as well and this would be a great way to meet other hunters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast