Thread: KGB/Goose bay area SHUT DOWN

Default KGB/Goose bay area SHUT DOWN

its a sad day at our home, went to KGB/ Goosebay area to shoot the shotgun and glock with my son like i have for years, and was stunned to see a national gaurd unit cruising around and cleaning up. i knew this day would come, ADFG guy handing out flyers explaining the new "refuge watch program" no target shooting, little if any atv riding, no dumping (i understand the last one) this is where my boy learned to shoot his 22 and the wife with the 9mm. I dont know why people had to dump freezers, dryers,washing machines,cars,trash. It sure was fun to shoot at, im going to miss it.

Me and a few buddies were out there today and saw the NG troops. We just went down to the boat launch area and shot for about two hours without any issues.

Does anyone have any information on where the City of Wasilla stands with the proposed range at Menard Sports Center. From what I could ascertain on their website it looks like it is moving forward as of the June 2010 meeting minutes.

Thumbs down

This is a BIG disappointment. Last christmas I bought my Dad a 22 rifle, the first gun our family has ever owned believe it or not. , We finally went out to shoot it together for the first time there on Sunday. We went down to the airport first, No Shooting signs on both sides of the road to it, turned around and then we went towards the old Nike missile site and there were three AK F&G trucks and like 5 employees organizing 100000 pounds of metal for later pickup. We got one of those sheets describing what they were doing there and just chatted with them about the trash for a minute. Turned around and went back home because it was about 6 by then and getting darker.

You'll have a hard time convincing me that father and son groups and similar other groups are destroying the environment by dispersing naturally occurring elements into the ground at high rates of speed. Leaving hundreds of tons of cars and other metallic waste behind, now that's a different story.

I live a couple miles from there and it sure is disheartening to see that area for sure. I go out there to shoot, and it makes me sick to see what people have done to the country side out there. I know there is some damage brought on by shooters by way of leaving ammo boxes and not picking up there brass or shot shells, broken targets. I don't believe they are the scum bags that take their washer, dryers, fridges, cars, car batteries and all the other crap that has littered this area.
    These same people have done the same crap on my road as well by dropping off a fridge or two and drove off. I would like to catch them doing it for sure I am not quite as forgiving as other would be on this issue.
    Back to the topic, I thought that land was donated to the college and is no longer the Army’s responsibly maybe someone out there would know more about this.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Here is the story that KTUU did on this cleanup. It doesn't appear to be the direct responsibility of the Army, they are just assisting with teh cleanup with ADF&G.

http://www.ktuu.com/news/valleyburea...,0,59908.story

I am pretty sure that most of that area was turned over to the mental health trust when the missile site was closed. There are a few great places to shoot with good solid back stops but MANY times I have seen guys letting the big dog loose into open forest. Sad how people are too stupid to take care of a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    Does anyone have any information on where the City of Wasilla stands with the proposed range at Menard Sports Center. From what I could ascertain on their website it looks like it is moving forward as of the June 2010 meeting minutes.
    From what I understand, the range has been approved, but not at the top of Wasilla's construction projects list. Could be some time before we see this come about.

Boat launch is still a go. I have also heard/seen people shooting up at the airstrip almost everytime I've been out there this month (6-7 times) hassle free. I know at one point, LEOs were patrolling up there... maybe they stopped?