Thread: K-Bay duck hunting

Default K-Bay duck hunting

I am heading to Homer tomorrow to go and try my luck at some ducks for the first time down out of homer My hunting partner that is going with me is a duck hunter but has never been hunting out of there either. So if anyone would be so kind as to shoot some pointers at us I would be very greatful. Our plan is to head up to Fox river and set a spread out and see what happens. I am not too picky on what kind of ducks we get so any of them will do.
    I will post back with how we did in a few days Thanks guys
    Tony

are you boating or driving?

We will be driving to homer in the morning and taking my boat out from the harbor

be careful, the weather and tides are not forgiving. you are going up on a 16' tide which is not big enough to actually get a boat up the fox. at least the tides are getting bigger, so you will be able to float your rig after going dry, which you will do.

buck is right, i won't even entertain the notion of going past bear cove unless i have AT LEAST 16.5' on the flood.
    winds are predicted E and NE for the next few days, so will be cold and could pretty crummy off portlock glacier.
    i hauled duck hunters last week, they did okay, not great.
    got a few harlies, hen widgeon, coupla goldeneyes and a mallard.... shot a couple mergies too... what's up with that?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    shot a couple mergies too... what's up with that?
    Don'tcha know Dave, they taste SO good with tartar sauce, and they are such a challenge to hunt!.

BTW- not all the bunnies are white(ish). Picked up a few brown/gray ones this weekend.

Thought the limit was 4 seaducks and all the mergies you can hide ?

PS. That is supposed to be a joke eh!

Well I am hooked we went out today and didnt go up to fox river, we motored around the bay and shot our limit of Haliquens (not sure how to spell it) in pretty short order those were the only ones we could identify we also seen some others but we wernt sure so we didnt shoot I am doing my homework tonight and going back in the morning so I know what I can and cant shoot I had a blast and now have a new fall hobby now that most of the big game hunting is done with. Cant wait for the morning. My hunting partner is good at identifying ducks but he is new to the sea duck hunting also

good to hear. stay away from the fox river area until you have someone to go with that knows the area. i dont know you but i was worried about you, ive seen a lot of bad things happen at the head of the bay to hunters,planes,boats, you name it.

I shot one in Tennessee, and being bound and determined to eat the thing I'd killed, I began plucking that thing. It smelled so much like a shad minnow that I had to quit. I put it in the cat's pan outside and not even a cat would touch a merganser.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I've heard of folks hunting at the head of the bay near the power plant with good success (Jim Reardon wrote about it), but between mud flats and wind it has a reputation for being risky. I wouldn't say Fox River flats has very good duck hunting. For geese maybe, but even that is boom or bust. We have done OK at times in China Poot and thereabouts, but still not great. Plus the ducks taste like the sea unlike lake and river puddle and dabblers.
    As for sea ducks and mergansers... nobody really eats them... what's they point?

Sea ducks aren't bad, like all ducks it's all about how you cook them. I ate all the sea ducks I shot last year and had no problems. I made some jerky out of some. And various other recipes for the rest. As for Mergansers, I never ate one of those, I usually just pass on them. I always wanted to shoot a hooded Merganser to put on the wall. But if I shot one, I'm sure it's all about the recipe.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Sea ducks aren't bad, like all ducks it's all about how you cook them. I ate all the sea ducks I shot last year and had no problems. I made some jerky out of some. And various other recipes for the rest. As for Mergansers, I never ate one of those, I usually just pass on them. I always wanted to shoot a hooded Merganser to put on the wall. But if I shot one, I'm sure it's all about the recipe.
    Well, I admire you then. I suspect many are not eaten after the sporting is done.

Some folks don't like the taste of ANY ducks. I will eat dabblers and puddlers that have been in the salt, but I can sure taste the difference between them and freshwater ducks. I have eaten sea ducks, but only after I've soaked the heck out of them in salt water and vinegar and then carefully disguised the flavor with lots of onion and spices.

Then you've got your folks that won't eat ptarmigan, grouse, rabbit, etc. I guess it's all in what tastes good to you. I taught my kids to never kill anything they wouldn't eat, and so they ate their share of itty-bitty squirrels and gray jays they'd killed with their BB guns.

I ate a white wing scoter twice. The first time and the last time. You guys can have my limit of sea ducks. I like to cook my duck as plan as I can. If you have to soak then in something to make them task good then you not really eating duck. And if it's not bleeding you over cooked it.

Merganser/Scoter/Coot Stew Recipe

Ingredients:
    1 Merganser, dressed and plucked
    1 gallon of water
    1 rock, washed
    4 tbsp salt
    Seasonings as desired

Directions:
    In a large pot, bring merganser and rock to a rolling boil. Add seasonings and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes. With tongs, remove merganser and throw it across the nearest fence. Pour broth down bathtub drain. Eat the rock.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I agree, you cannot over cook waterfowl.

I like to wrap it in bacon and grill it...or cut in strips and deep fry...either way..cant beat it!

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    I ate a white wing scoter twice. The first time and the last time. You guys can have my limit of sea ducks. I like to cook my duck as plan as I can. If you have to soak then in something to make them task good then you not really eating duck. And if it's not bleeding you over cooked it.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Skinny, I could only add one improvement. Wash the rock first.