Thread: winterization of a Volvo Penta IO please help

Default winterization of a Volvo Penta IO please help

I have a fellow that is storing a boat with a volvo penta outdrive. He has not winterized the sea water cooling and protected it from corosion.
    He asked me if I could do it, as he is headed home to North Carolina for the winter.
    I have never messed with IO units before and can't even see the sea water pickup on lower unit ..
    If I can find that at least I can flush it and then pump some protective oil into the system.
    please let me know where to find the pickup and any ideas to help ..
    thanks so much
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    I have a fellow that is storing a boat with a volvo penta outdrive. He has not winterized the sea water cooling and protected it from corosion.
    He asked me if I could do it, as he is headed home to North Carolina for the winter.
    I have never messed with IO units before and can't even see the sea water pickup on lower unit ..
    If I can find that at least I can flush it and then pump some protective oil into the system.
    please let me know where to find the pickup and any ideas to help ..
    thanks so much
    Max
    Raw water pickup is most likely under the boat. Remove the hose from the pickup and use your water hose to flush everything out. Then when you are satisfied with the flush use 2 gallons of RV antifreeze into the same hose.

The cooling water comes in from the drive, if you look inside the boat facing the engine the water pickup fitting should be on the right side all the ways back on the transon shield, just follow the hose from the water pump back to the fitting, take the hose off and hook up your fresh water hose to that, run the fresh water, then make up a bucket(5gal) of 50/50 antifreeze mix or RV antifreeze in the bucket, stick in the hose from the pump and run the engine till it sucks up all the antifreeze and you should be good. I always go around and drain any saltwater cooling parts just in case the antifreeze was a bit weak getting into some parts. It sounds harder than it really is.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I got to thinking a little bit after Potbuilder replied....need to double check for a dual pickup setup. Some of the Volvos came with both and depending who/when you got your Mercruiser the same is true for them when equipped with a closed water cooling system. Need to ensure that the thru hull (if equipped) is closed prior to trying to flush or all your water will go out the pickup and could ruin the raw water pump when the engine is running.

I can't imagine leaving my boat for someone else to winterize that had not done it before. If you don't flush it properly, something will crack during the winter, most likley the heat exchanger. What motor and outdrive do you have? Mine is a newer one, but I think they are all pretty similar. There are water intakes on the leading edge of the outdrive. What I do is put a 5 gallon bucket with a hose adapter on the swimstep filled with RV antifreeze. The hose goes down to a set of muffs on the outdrive covering the raw water intake. On mine I need to put a wine cork on the drain hole in the bottom of the outdrive as well to make it so it won't run out. I then tip the bucket so that the antifreeze pressurizes the hose and start the motor. When you see pink coming out of the exhaust, then the antifreeze has made it all the way through the system. Of course, if there is a fresh water system in the boat that needs to be done as well, like doing a motor home.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

What model drive? Not anything different than most other out drives. The VP duoprop has been set up with a driveshaft in some cases, but it mostly has the water pick up at the drive itself. using this link, which dive is it?

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/vp_engine_finder.htm

Taking the props off, if its a DP drive has its challenges, but its quality stuff and pretty easy to work on..

Sorry I have not got back here to get the great messages,,
    Like Jrogers suggested,it would be best if we had someone that has good experience in winterization of such a boat.
    We found a fellow here on the kenai that will come over and do the job.
    The fellow that owns the boat is a newbee to any boat, and overlooked the compexity of the entire winterization..
    He has fresh water and sea water cooling, and also fresh water for his cabin and such.
    I appreciate your good help and comments.
    We don't want any damage done to his boat, so every precaution to prevent that will hopefully be taken.
    Tomorrow I will go over to the hangar and get the model numbers etc needed to get information from the volvo website.
    the fellow that is coming over to winterize it should be able to show me the tricks and stuff to look for.
    like I said,, I don't have a IO or been around them at all, so when the owner asked me to help him, I told him I would ask here and find out if it was complicated or not.. and Now,, I have some answers..
    thanks
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com