Thread: Comments on Rangefinding Scopes

Default Comments on Rangefinding Scopes

Hi folks,

I'm seeing more ads for riflescopes equipped with range finders these days, and thought a thread on them might be productive.

Anybody out there used one? What's your take?

Or do you think this is one more gadget we don't need?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

i hope i never see one.i feel far enough away from traditon as it is.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

You mean like this Burris LaserScope? I like it so far. Battery life is what has me worried at the moment. I haven't run it down yet and it is supposed to be good for 5,000 cycles. The colder the weather the shorter it will last. So far I have ranged in one fox at 327 yards with this 25-06 setup.

i think we can do without it. sure, it gives us an edge. for some, that may mean cleaner kills, but to others it means more chances will be taken. i've had enough trouble convincing myself that i want a scope at all. i guess i want the game to remain me vs. a critter. i think it's getting to close to a computer vs. a critter. i know, we're still doing the shooting.... for now.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Dave,

Thanks for the link! Goes to show that this forum has grown so large that I, even I, cannot post on every thread! One tries, though... sigh...

:-)

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Keeping Up

Yes the forum is growing fast. We reached 7,000 members last week. Had almost 150 people on at one time yesterday and continue to grow.

I will probably loose track once bear and shrimp season starts as I am out everyother day.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Talking modern tech

It seems to me that were trying our best to remove hunting from the equasion and just make it killing. I don't know how we've done it all these years without gadgetry. It's like the name of the game is to kill as quick as we can, get the hell out of the woods and brag about our feats. To each his own, but a lot of us talk out both sides of our mouth. On one side we talk about wanting a challenge when we hunt, but then on the other, we want all the technological advances we can get, and sometimes that isn't enough. Since most of us couldn't hold a candle to yesterday's great hunters, it's a lot easier to dumb the sport down that to rise to the challenge. And the more gadgets we have, the less rising we have to do.

Smile scopes, mil dots and lasers

aside from using laser range finding scopes. how about using an old fashion mil dot scope? it works for the military and will work for you too with some instruction or practice ranging with it. stadia wires are still sporting enough as well.

i see no problem using a hand held laser range finder as it leads to more humane kills. once you put it inside the scope, then you have gone too far, i.m.h.o..

you have to draw a line somewhere.

I might be wrong, but last time I looked in the regs, withthe exception of lighted Nocks on archery equipment, any electronics that are attached to a rifle are illegal. A range finder is legal, but if its attacteced tot he scope in any way, its forbiden to use to take game. Wame as a night vision scope.

Default Illegal in Wyoming

Wyoming has a similar law outlawing electronic devices attached to the scope. I spoke with a game warden who told me that technically scopes with rangefinders, red dot ...etc are considered illegal but the intent of the law was to outlaw spot lighting of game. In the next couple of years the State of Wyoming hopes to clarify this issue. This warden said he would not issue a ticket to a hunter using one of these scopes.

kinda sad to see a guy use one on a big game animal, I feel bad for the fellow that needs a ranging scope for deer-moose. I think it would be killer sitting over a dog town but silly on a big game rig.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Mod12 View Post
    I might be wrong, but last time I looked in the regs, withthe exception of lighted Nocks on archery equipment, any electronics that are attached to a rifle are illegal. A range finder is legal, but if its attacteced tot he scope in any way, its forbiden to use to take game. Wame as a night vision scope.
    The Laser sight that is in the regulations would pertain to something like the Crimson Trace Laser grips that project a light out too the target for aiming purposes. A laser scope does not operate in the same fashion. You cannot see an actual Dot on the target from the laser in a ranger finder or scope.

Default ranging scope

Got 2 sprg armory 4x14x56mm scopes on both my .308 rifles.

They are hands free with multiple reticles and work so awesome with target shooting and pepper matches.

The scopes are calibrated for 168 grain bthp match bullets to 1,000 yards and the only hunting substitute I can see using and still be ok at longer ranges are 165 bthp and bt spitzers like the game king or 165 grain ballistic tips.

Don't think I would ever hunt with one of these rifles unless I was in an area like a wide open plain. They are too bulky and I dont like so much clutter in a hunting scope when woods hunting or if any running shot is possible.

I will stay with traditional scopes. Maybe only a slightly modified reticle by Dick Thomas of Premier Reticles where they install a 200 and 300 yard dot for your exact load and ranging is up to you.

jedi

Wink How Far Is To Far?

I don't know what all the excitement is about? Just get a flat shooting rifle of your choice, sight in +3 high at 100 yards. Do some real world long range practice and, your good to go. If you need to shoot longer than that at LIVE game, with cross winds , gusts ect. try stalking /getting closer. Just my 2 cents . Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I Have looked on the Zeiss Diatange on last year´s IWA in Nuernberg: It functions nice, but it looks not well AND I think that it makes more sense to use an additional rangefinder OR having one in the binoculars, like the Leica Geovid, because: which ifle You wanna equip with it? All? -Surely not, because it is too expensive and on the other way: the Diarange looks not nice! And I am of the kind that a rifle must also have some nice design, not just functional...

Just my thoughts

(I myself lokking forward the Swarovski Rangefinder soon)

Klaus