Thread: what to do w/ Ruger M77 7mm RM

Default what to do w/ Ruger M77 7mm RM

I want to use this rifle but I just don't have a need for a 7mm! Here is the deal, my dad gave me a 7mm RM when he left AK and retired to south Alabama. It was his rifle and I will never get rid of it but I honestly have 0 use for it. I already have a 270WSM, 308 and 325WSM so something heavier would be nice. The rifle is a 1970 something(?) Ruger M77 with tang safety.

I don't want to spend a fortune on it but I would love to punch it up to something in the .40 range and preferably not a belted cartridge. I was thinking 404 Dakota but I don't know if that would be reasonable. I guess at this time I am just curious what options are out there, I am thinking about a rebarrel, trigger job and a complete black ice coating.

Is there anything that the 7mm could be reamed/rebored to that would be fun and cheaper option?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I want to use this rifle but I just don't have a need for a 7mm! Here is the deal, my dad gave me a 7mm RM when he left AK and retired to south Alabama...The rifle is a 1970 something(?) Ruger M77 with tang safety.

I don't want to spend a fortune on it but I would love to punch it up to something in the .40 range and preferably not a belted cartridge. I was thinking 404 Dakota but I don't know if that would be reasonable. I guess at this time I am just curious what options are out there, I am thinking about a rebarrel, trigger job and a complete black ice coating.
    I'd look at the 416 Ruger or a wildcat on the 375 Ruger case. You're going to get maximum (or near maximum) ballistics from that case considering your magazine restrictions. If it were me, I'd go 416 Taylor; a lot less fuss IMO. Screw on a new barrel and you should be dancing, though I'd make certain it is properly bedded. It'd be just as effective, but it does have that nasty belt.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I believe the .375 Ruger or .416Ruger would be fine choices. I have yet to shoot anything live with mine but
    both are easy to load for. Not tempermental at all. The rim is the same size as the 7 mag, and they should fit
    with minimal or no extra action work. A new rifle project is allways fun.
    Good luck.
    Bryan

Just a thought, i built a 30-338 out of my old 1976 RUGER because the .300 wm was too short an action for the 220gr BARNES i was using bear guiding up north, a long time ago. Still my favorite rifle. If to do over would probably go with the .358 NORMA Mag. In my thoughts, an ideal ALASKA rifle, and i do love the tang safety. Know lots of new stuff has come out, but that .358 is the same length of case as the .338wm. Shoots very flat and is a killer. So many options these days!!
    Good luck-
    Goo

If you are going to rebarrel, I just had a .416 Taylor built on an old Mauser. Love it. Easy to get brass. .338 win mag necked up or .458 win mag necked down. Your bullet box is big enough to build a .416 rem mag out of it as well. You never know when a rougue elephant or cape buffalo will show up in Palmer. If you want to shoot the Taylor pm me I sure we can meet up at Birchwood when you get back. They are all belted but belted makes um better right.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author