Thread: Larry breaking the law again?

Question Larry breaking the law again?

Just saw this week's "North to Alaska." I really enjoy the show. This week they are fishing a river out of Nome and got there with a guide who flys helos.

During the show, Lerry hooks a big silver and hands the fly rod to the guide so he can get the silver by the tail, but is unable to as the fish is not yet ready. The guide reels the fly rod and walks the fish to the bank, so Larry can grab the fish by the tail.

Are the actions by the guide illegal? I thought guides while attending to customers were not allowed to fish...

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

my understanding of the law was they cannot fish for them self like standing by you or away from you with their own rod doing their own thing. If the client hooked the fish and the guide helped him seal the deal I think that is ok dont quote me on that tho. I think its similar as to a guided hunt where you may shot a bear or what have you and the guide shoots it as well to seal the deal.

Didn't see the show, so I don't know the drainage they were fishing. The laws are location specific. In some drainages, the fish guides do all the hooking and then pass off the rods to the inexperienced. Sometimes they can't touch the rod. And...even then, when it is for a video, sometimes all bets are off. I just watched, yesterday, where roe was used on Lake Creek this year, for the filming of a promotional video. Had the blessing with the local trooper. So, it appears to me, it is always situational and never etched in stone.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Didn't see the show, so I don't know the drainage they were fishing. The laws are location specific. In some drainages, the fish guides do all the hooking and then pass off the rods to the inexperienced. Sometimes they can't touch the rod. And...even then, when it is for a video, sometimes all bets are off. I just watched, yesterday, where roe was used on Lake Creek this year, for the filming of a promotional video. Had the blessing with the local trooper. So, it appears to me, it is always situational and never etched in stone.
    So true. In many cases, the outdoor shows get situation specific waivers for some of the things they are doing. Some, not all, even think it through enough to state as such in the show intro or when they are doing the specific activity so it isn't misinterpreted. I have no idea in this case, first whether it legal or not on it's own and second, whether they had approval if it was illegal.

Are you serious????? Really???

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Just saw this week's "North to Alaska." I really enjoy the show. This week they are fishing a river out of Nome and got there with a guide who flys helos.

During the show, Lerry hooks a big silver and hands the fly rod to the guide so he can get the silver by the tail, but is unable to as the fish is not yet ready. The guide reels the fly rod and walks the fish to the bank, so Larry can grab the fish by the tail.

Are the actions by the guide illegal? I thought guides while attending to customers were not allowed to fish...

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Are you serious????? Really???
    Yeah. Why not? Just asking as I thought it was illegal for a guide to fish while he/she had clients.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

On most Alaska bodies of water, at least in Mat-Su, a guide cannot fish while having clients during King Salmon Season. All other salmon seasons it is OK.
    I believe the reason is because of the yearly limit of the King Salmon.

The guide wasn't fishing. He was assisting, he didn't set the hook.

Alaska fishing regs are pretty clearcut in this matter.

He who sets the hook tags the fish.... PERIOD!

If it went down as described, then that was Larry's fish, not the guide's.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Alaska fishing regs are pretty clearcut in this matter.

He who sets the hook tags the fish.... PERIOD!

If it went down as described, then that was Larry's fish, not the guide's.
    For the record, the silver was set by Larry and released by Larry.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

I saw that show.....
    Nothing illegal happened.Larry hooked and fought the silver and while trying to land the fish handed the pole to the quide.With that help he landed the silver then released it to fish some more.
    Must be nice to helicopter in to un-fished water.Some people.......