Thread: Clothing for deer hunt

Default Clothing for deer hunt

We are looking at a Montague deer hunt in a week or so. What are the clothing recommendations for this time of year?

Thanks
    Rob

start with RAIN GEAR. If it isn't waterproof (HH Impertech or similar), you'll regret it. Layer under the rain gear to adjust for warmth - fleece or wool. X-tra Tuff's for your feet or hip boots or waders - whatever is available.
    Dressing for a deer hunt is no different than any other hunt - be prepared for the worst and you'll be comfortable in whatever the weather brings.
    Gary

Last time I was out there the last weekend of October we went from 10F and snow to 40F and rain in the matter of days. Blew 80mph one night...and we were in a tent I didn't bring my bunny boots, but I should have. I did bring chest waders and they opened up a couple areas to hunt that were otherwise unaccessable.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Last time I was out there the last weekend of October we went from 10F and snow to 40F and rain in the matter of days. Blew 80mph one night...and we were in a tent I didn't bring my bunny boots, but I should have. I did bring chest waders and they opened up a couple areas to hunt that were otherwise unaccessable.
    NOW WERE TALKING P.W.S!!
    have spent the night in Montague strait in the middle of nov, grilling in a T shirt without a ripple, and chipped ice/snow in early
    oct.
    prepare for the worst, then have fun. good luck!

Just came back from there Saturday. Nice week all in all. I've tried several combination's for clothing and found fleece type H20 clothing works best. Back that up with a long sleeve capilene shirt...and a short sleeve to go over that. Take the short sleeve off as you heat up. Bottoms I go with a pair of shorts under the camo/fleece pants. No long johns as you'll cook. The coat make sure you have zippers under the arms. I also carry a poncho now for the super heavy rain, helps keep me dry (and my camera gear) a bit longer but, its a balance act between staying dry and having the poncho make too much noise if you're in heavy brush. If you don't have a place to dry out at night, its a tough gig all around. I take a ton of dry socks. I give wet socks 3 days each to dry out so do your math. Ball cap for the sunny days...something warmer for in the morning. Gloves...you'll need them in am.

Good luck!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I'm a big believer in Capilene against the skin and Fleece to follow, even inside Full Raingear,(not fancy stuff, full Deluge Proof stuff found at Marine Fishing Gear stores, HHansen, Grundens, etc.) this stuff (fleece and capilene)can get wet and you stay warm. They'll also dry almost miraculously when you get a spurt of dry air later, even inside your bag at night.
    Keep the Capilene pants in a ziplock in your pack, or as td says you'll be too hot but they'll save your hide later if you're camping or get in trouble.
    A Big One is find liners for your Xtra Tuffs called Bamas, (also at Marine Comm Fish Store) you can get away with just a cotton sock underneath them and they wick like crazy. YOU GOTTA find those Bamas, you'll love them.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !