Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haul Road, October, gear specific

Default Haul Road, October, gear specific

Hey all
    I know there are a ton of threads on this hunt. Am thinking about hitting it next weekend.

For those of you that do this hunt this time of year.

What are some specific pieces of gear you would not go with out?? Walk in or bowhunt what is your go to equipment?

Thanks

We were up there last weekend it was cold one day it was -4 according to our thermorter (sp) anyhow I used the army sleep system and I was shivering at night another fellow had the wiggeys and he was cold too. We had a canvas tent that helped also we had two buddy heaters we ran low on propane so we didn't run one at night. But that is a must a buddy heater and plenty of propane. Also wrap your bottled water in a wool blanket something to keep them from freezing.

Bring a sled to pull the meat out in. Whether 100 yards or five miles, if there is at least a couple of inches of snow on the ground, life will be much easier pulling the caribou rather than packing it.

What Brian said bring a sled we ended up using a tarp to pull our caribou out. Dress warm I cannot emphasive that enough we are lucky in the army we have gen3 cold weather gear.

This time of year I would not go without my arctic oven and stove. When you're done crawling through the snow on a stalk it sure is nice to be able to go back to a tent that you can get up to 80*. The dry heat from the wood stove helps dry out clothes, whereas propane has some moisture in it and will take longer.

I'd also not go without a camelbak. Wear it under your outer layers to keep it from freezing. It's suprising how quickly you'll get dehydrated walking after caribou.

Nytril or latex gloves help as a moisture barrier and will help keep your hands somewhat warm while skinning and quartering.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Thanks all

bunny boots, over whites, snow shoes, SKEDCO, 7-layer system, arctic mittens. I've been up there October, November and December and it wasn't that bad. Someone said they were up there and it got cold (-4). I don't think that's too cold. It was about -25 one time when I went in December and it still wasn't that bad.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I don't care what anyone says -4 is cold heck anything under 30 degrees is cold.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I don't care what anyone says -4 is cold heck anything under 30 degrees is cold.
    -4 really isn't that bad up here. You are down south where it is more damp. It is pretty dry up here so to me -4 doesn't seem as bad. -20 is about my cutoff for hunting only because the animal freezes to quickly which makes bleeding it out a pain. Trapping is a different story, I still get out there in -40 or less. Maybe i'm just a nutjob and the cold doesn't bother me that much. I think plentycoupe can handle it too.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Your right on the cold part. Also practice shooting your bow with a glove on as well. As long as you go prepared you will have a great time we did. Next time taking my bunny boots I only took my cold weather boots.

I won't hunt up there in October due to the rut. I have hunted in November. One time it was so warm it never dropped below 20F, the next time it was 0F during the day and -20F at night. In all honesty, -4F is not that cold and it's an average temp this time of year. We don't use Buddy heaters when we sleep. I just use a -20F Cabelas bag and sleep with a layer of fleece on. I do use the Buddy heater when we are sitting around the tent and eating. I reality, the cold doesn't run me off of hunting the winter months up there, it's the lack of daylight. I just get too plain bored sitting around in the dark for 16 or more hours a day. If I do it again it will be with a big wall tent setup or a camper....something I can sit around in comfort and play cards.

Bottom line, I won't leave home without a minimum -20F bag, bunny boots, expedition style overmitts, and a really nice warm hat. Sleds and snowshoes (or skis) are a must also.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL ... WAIT let me REFRAZE that....

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you wanted me to pick you up on my way by... Heheh... wait... STOP IT YOUR KILLING ME.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    LOL ... WAIT let me REFRAZE that....

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you wanted me to pick you up on my way by... Heheh... wait... STOP IT YOUR KILLING ME.
    On your way to the BOG meeting... There were six of us waiting for you here on Ft Richardson oh well... Just because I have common sense don't get mad at me. You guys talking like -4 is nothing someone on this site is going to read that and they are going to take you GUYS serious and go up there and die! Because YOU guys said -4 or for that matter 20 degrees is not cold.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

On your way to the BOG meeting... There were six of us waiting for you here on Ft Richardson oh well... Just because I have common sense don't get mad at me. You guys talking like -4 is nothing someone on this site is going to read that and they are going to take you GUYS serious and go up there and die! Because YOU guys said -4 or for that matter 20 degrees is not cold.
    up here we can dress for the cold... been out hunting often at -40 and colder. now were i to head south... i would prolly be arrested dressing for the heat...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post

Nytril or latex gloves help as a moisture barrier and will help keep your hands somewhat warm while skinning and quartering.
    That's an interesting idea for winter hunting. I've never done that before, but can see where it would help. I once killed a caribou up there 5 miles off the road in -30 temps. I remember panicking when the meat started freezing immediately as we pulled the skin back. I don't think my hands have ever been that cold, though thankfully we avoided any serious frostbite. I'll be chasing caribou next month closer to home, though I'm sure it'll still be plenty cold. I think I'll throw a few sets of nitrile gloves in my gear tonight. Thanks!

Also practice shooting your bow with a glove on as well.
    Also practice with whatever jacket you plan to wear. I once bounced an arrow off some rocks behind a beautiful November goat because I didn't think about my rather large jacket sleeve getting in the way of my string. Man, I'm still kicking myself for that one.

up here we can dress for the cold... been out hunting often at -40 and colder. now were i to head south... i would prolly be arrested dressing for the heat...
    Yes you guys do for that matter we all dress for the weather but I work around some real winners and if they were to read this they would probably take off with minimal gear. Heck some guys talking about going up there in a few wekks I told them what to take but they kind of blew me off oh well I wish them the best of luck.

Yes you guys do for that matter we all dress for the weather but I work around some real winners and if they were to read this they would probably take off with minimal gear. Heck some guys talking about going up there in a few wekks I told them what to take but they kind of blew me off oh well I wish them the best of luck.
    and that my firend is why we give out Darwin Awards every year...

meet on face book here

and that my firend is why we give out Darwin Awards every year...

If people giving out advice on this forum includes "-4 degrees isn't cold," and someone goes up there and dies because they went unprepared after reading it, I'm not really sure that is where Darwin comes into play. That's just bad advice.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    If people giving out advice on this forum includes "-4 degrees isn't cold," and someone goes up there and dies because they went unprepared after reading it, I'm not really sure that is where Darwin comes into play. That's just bad advice.
    I second that when folks start laughing wether they are joking or not about -4 not being cold is not good. Alot of folsk around here who believe anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast