Thread: i learned to take somethings with a grain of salt

Question i learned to take somethings with a grain of salt

i have just learned to take somethings with a grain of salt when it comes to trying to explain diff things about hunting rifles and diff type of rifles and pistol that you tend to own liveing up here to people outside the state of Alaska..

i was talking to someone about the battery of rifles i have bult up over the last year for diff type of hunting or bear defense up there ..for i told someone i had bought a 375 H&H magnum rifle for hunting bear for the first time next year along with a S&W model 460 revolver for bear defense when walking around in the woods when hikeing and camping in the back country areas i been so far along with it beening a back up weapon when hunting big game animals up there along with a couple diff pistol and rifles for self defense and target shooting ..

when someone in the group who i knew asked me why did i have so many rifles and pistol ..i was looking at the person who asked the question .. if you think this a arsenal then you need not to come to Alaska and see what people have in there home as way of hunting up here for diff game along with self defense needs ..

I can't see as to where there's anything wrong with having a buttload of rifles and pistols, it's your money and your wants needs and desires. So if someone is implying that you have too many firearms, well I say **** Em, unless of course it happens to be the lady of the house, then we must be a little nicer.

All that being said I know that if I were to show up to elk camp toting a new shiny 338 RUM and touting it as the best and only Wapiti whacker to have, I think I might get a little ribbing from my Grandad, Dad, and uncles who have killed boxcars full of elk plenty dead with their old 06s and 270s since before I was born. Same as I imagine would happen if you went to Kotz to hunt caribou with our own member here known as Stranger and bragged about how a fella really needed one of these here 30-378Wbys to kill caribou. All the while he probably kills more a year with his surplus 7.62x54R than most Alaskans have ever laid eyes on.

Nothing wrong with using bigger, newer, or different stuff, just don't get bent out of shape if you catch a little hell about it from the old hands. Sounds like your doing a pretty good job of just rolling with it, now go buy some more and bigger guns.

Ask them if they have only one pair of shoes. If they have different shoes for different occasions they may understand why there are different guns for different uses. Or try golf, does anyone golf with just one club? I don't golf, but I can see why a putter might not work well for a chip shot out of a sand trap. Or, why a 9 iron may not be the best choice for putting. If they learned about guns from the TV, just give it up. I've seen people blown 30feet backwards through a wall when hit with a 12ga on TV, so I guess there ignorance is understandable. Oh, never mind, you just can't fix stupid. I guess you could take them squirrel hunting with that 375 H&H to see if they could figure out that there may be a better choice.

i did ask them a couple of question about there knowage of hunting in the back country and they where like the deer in the headlights look ..my friend and i went about our business of looking at the diff rifles there at the shop that we had went to in seattle this weekend ..

i was more of looking for rifle ammo and a couple of boxs of the pistol ammo for the 460 cal revolver ..my friend who was the one who was giveing him the talk of if stupid about the caliber and the why of the use of that caliber in the world of hunting then shut up and open your ears and listen to the reason behind the whole use of that caliber..

for i was talking about the whole thing about stopping a large bear and even a 375 H&H Magnum will bring down a Elephant i would still like to have something bigger ..

when the guy jumped into the converstion about the whole thing of stopping power and the effects of the wound channel on a game.. that when my friend ask him have you ever hunted Alaska bear any form of the bears that live up and seen the size of them ..if you have and seen how big one gets in the wilds you think a 458 magnum is not big enough at times..when one stands up on it hind feet and lets you know you in the wrong area..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Wink

henry i tell them we need lots of different guns..so that when friends and family come from the states... they have one to use...

saves on shipping... pretty easy and simple with out all the pentup issues behind it....

Though JUST last night.. someone called me a gunwhore????

Whatever, that means
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I put them on the defensive. All you have to do is ask them about their experiences, then dig for details. Don't offer your own opinion or defenses. You never have to say a thing about your own as they shuck, jive and ultimately lie. There are a whole lot of idiots and keyboard experts out there only too willing to prove it. It's pretty easy to write most of them off once they talk long enough. The less experience they have, the more they'll hit you with statistics and things they've read.

Live in peace and enjoy the show.

It's not only up there Henry! I quit going to Missouri deer hunting because guys that were capable of getting lost in their own back yard were deciding to take up hunting and ended up in our woods. As I was in the process of telling one knot head that he was 1/2 mile on the wrong side of the fence he asked me why I was hunting deer with a squirrel rifle.....no a 44 is not just twice as powerful as a 22. He was good at simple math though.

One lad with a whole year in the deer woods under his belt and one lost buck to show for it had learned from all that experience that a 25-06 will not kill whitetail deer. Year number two he brought to camp a 10 lb 358 Norma mag. He sat down next to me at the campfire looking for my approval on his mega deer blaster and asked me if I thought it'd kill em in their tracks? My reply was not if you shoot em in the pecker like you did with the 25-06! Ten minutes later the slow learner was comparing the size of his 358 NM's to my little 44's and said how do you kill deer with that thing. My reply was....... I don't shoot em in the pecker.

It's OK to be a gun whore Vince! My neighbor thinks I'm nuts and I have less than 30 guns these days. When I know he and his old hag wife (she hates my deer heads) are coming over( mom thinks we need to be neighborly) I stand guns in every corner and have them laying on the coffee table, end tables etc.... It kinda forces the conversation my direction as opposed to hearing about how many skeeters a bat eats every day again. They don't stay as long either!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    It's not only up there Henry! I quit going to Missouri deer hunting because guys that were capable of getting lost in their own back yard were deciding to take up hunting and ended up in our woods. As I was in the process of telling one knot head that he was 1/2 mile on the wrong side of the fence he asked me why I was hunting deer with a squirrel rifle.....no a 44 is not just twice as powerful as a 22. He was good at simple math though.

One lad with a whole year in the deer woods under his belt and one lost buck to show for it had learned from all that experience that a 25-06 will not kill whitetail deer. Year number two he brought to camp a 10 lb 358 Norma mag. He sat down next to me at the campfire looking for my approval on his mega deer blaster and asked me if I thought it'd kill em in their tracks? My reply was not if you shoot em in the pecker like you did with the 25-06! Ten minutes later the slow learner was comparing the size of his 358 NM's to my little 44's and said how do you kill deer with that thing. My reply was....... I don't shoot em in the pecker.

It's OK to be a gun whore Vince! My neighbor thinks I'm nuts and I have less than 30 guns these days. When I know he and his old hag wife (she hates my deer heads) are coming over( mom thinks we need to be neighborly) I stand guns in every corner and have them laying on the coffee table, end tables etc.... It kinda forces the conversation my direction as opposed to hearing about how many skeeters a bat eats every day again. They don't stay as long either!
    +100
    Outta make this a Sticky just for chitz and giggles.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

You crack me up, EKC:

You sound like a man who would name his dawg, "Ruger".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.