Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New draw system?

Default New draw system?

What is the latest on the new draw system? Is AK still going to some sort of point system? When will we know?

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    What is the latest on the new draw system? Is AK still going to some sort of point system? When will we know?
    I hope not.... So probably...

It is clearly Joe Want's fault........

Never, I hope!

The bonus point system as proposed is discrimantory......young hunters hoping to hunt sheep or bison with a parent would not have a chance for a tag. We Geezers don't have the remaining years to accumulate points. RESULTING IN A NET LOSS OF HUNTING OPPORTUNITY.

It would be very expensive to administer and would probably require substantial increases in fees to be self sustaining.

The bonus point system is an ALL-IN system....Once it starts how do you stop or change it.....hunters that have acculmulated points would be lining up to sue if the system is thrown out.....

Clean up the current draw system to remove any doubt as to integrity and get on with it.

2nd the Never

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

there has not been any talk of instituting a point system... in fact the points for the Tier one draw have never really been set up as the state does not have the resources to do so.. and will have to farm that out to a lower 48 outfitt.... ( as per the conversation at the BOG meeting last week..) (( man i wish i could get more folks to come and learn stuff))
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I thought it was pretty much a done deal - to the point the assigned us each a number in 2010 draw for tracking purposes for a future point system.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    I thought it was pretty much a done deal - to the point the assigned us each a number in 2010 draw for tracking purposes for a future point system.
    LOL you were assigned a customer service number... and all of those have yet to be issued...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

We sportsman here in Idaho just yelled a collective "h*ll no!" when our local F&G wanted to implement a points system. Most states that have them have terrible odds and unhappy resident hunters.

Just say "no", Alaskans...
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    there has not been any talk of instituting a point system... in fact the points for the Tier one draw have never really been set up as the state does not have the resources to do so.. and will have to farm that out to a lower 48 outfitt.... ( as per the conversation at the BOG meeting last week..) (( man i wish i could get more folks to come and learn stuff))
    Heck Vince I asked you to swing by pick me up you never did? So I went caribou hunting, we did drive thru your neck of the woods we heard banjo music playing on a potty break we jumped in the truck and hauled @$$ to Fairbanks. Also a little early to start talking about the draw. Isn't this a subject brought up after the draw results come out.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    The Results Are Out!!!
    Last year's results are out, true, but I think they were referring to the period of time right after the results get posted when everyone who didn't get drawn goes nuts about how the system is rigged and we need to change it. Tier II results just came out, but that wasn't a draw, it was a points based system.

The Board of Game will be discussing a bonus point draw system for sheep and bison at the SE region BOG meeting in November. Proposal 46. http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...inal9-7-10.pdf

Thanks for the link fullcurl. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out! NR limit on deer down to two is an interesting one..

I would think you long time residents would be in favor of this since you would have considerably greater chances against those who don't stay in AK or haven't lived there long (which seems to be like 80% of the population). As someone who hopes to move there someday, I hope you don't start it, that way when I get there I'll have just as good a chance as anyone of drawing the tags I want. As a Montana resident I kind of like that I build up greater chances of drawing trophy tags like sheep and moose.

So growing up in Wisconsin we had a lottery system for doe tags. This was back before the state was being overrun with deer and the harvest was highly regulated. When you applied for a tag, you were asked 2 questions 1. Did you apply for a tag last year and 2 Did you receive a tag last year? Based on this info, you went into seperate "buckets" to be drawn from. Your best odds were if you answered Yes, No. Why can't Alaska modify this simple process and allow for people to build points in an area that they have repeadedly applied for but not received? Maybe allow for multiple No Draw points but only to a 5 year max? At least that would eliminate those situations where one person is consistantly "lucky" and others are consistantly passed over? Just a thought. BTW, on straight draws, I am 0 for 20 years, my wife, drew one the first time she applied!

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    So growing up in Wisconsin we had a lottery system for doe tags. This was back before the state was being overrun with deer and the harvest was highly regulated. When you applied for a tag, you were asked 2 questions 1. Did you apply for a tag last year and 2 Did you receive a tag last year? Based on this info, you went into seperate "buckets" to be drawn from. Your best odds were if you answered Yes, No. Why can't Alaska modify this simple process and allow for people to build points in an area that they have repeadedly applied for but not received? Maybe allow for multiple No Draw points but only to a 5 year max? At least that would eliminate those situations where one person is consistantly "lucky" and others are consistantly passed over? Just a thought. BTW, on straight draws, I am 0 for 20 years, my wife, drew one the first time she applied!
    Or, this will go over great....set a limit on how often you can win a tag....say once every 4 or 5 years for any specific hunt.

Heck yeah! The worst thing about hunting is all of the kids and new to hunting wives winning our coveted tags. I just hate seeing spouses and children getting brought into hunting like that!! We need to ELIMINATE kids from hunting all together! Then just think how great the future of the sport will be for those of us already hunting! We will have it made in 25 years! Heck when I am in my 60's I won't even need to leave my yard to harvest my moose. NO NEW HUNTERS!!

It is hilarious to me how hard some will work at trying to make a completely fair system less fair in the name of fairness!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Heck yeah! The worst thing about hunting is all of the kids and new to hunting wives winning our coveted tags. I just hate seeing spouses and children getting brought into hunting like that!! We need to ELIMINATE kids from hunting all together! Then just think how great the future of the sport will be for those of us already hunting! We will have it made in 25 years! Heck when I am in my 60's I won't even need to leave my yard to harvest my moose. NO NEW HUNTERS!!

It is hilarious to me how hard some will work at trying to make a completely fair system less fair in the name of fairness!!
    Who eliminates the kids from hunting? Can't your child fill your tag? How many kids out there actulaly draw tags that are filled by their parents? The system in proposed rewards long term hunters, it doesn't eliminate any? It offers a competative advantage to those that year after year apply but do not draw. If there are enough tags to go around, everyone could get one. Jeeez LuJon don't get your panties all bound up. You want kids to get involved, so do I, let's get F&G to create more youth hunts like the Pt. Mac Moose or Delta Moose. Have special seasons for the kids, give them a specific advantage. But be careful, as soon as you offer special advantages to the kids, you'll get serious backlash from the old timers accusing them of taking all the prime animals. It is impossible to please everyone. For me, I am happy hunting general seasons. If I want an animal, I know I can fly out and get one. Again, I've never received a tag, but I've sure as heck killed my share of animals.

Default Sure but lets do this retroactively

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Heck yeah! The worst thing about hunting is all of the kids and new to hunting wives winning our coveted tags. I just hate seeing spouses and children getting brought into hunting like that!! We need to ELIMINATE kids from hunting all together! Then just think how great the future of the sport will be for those of us already hunting! We will have it made in 25 years!
    So that as of now, those of us that have not been hunting for the past 25 years, every year, are now ineligible to apply for any permits.

Yes, in that instance I can get any permit I desire.... so that system MUST be "right".

Argh....

ERD: Why give special tags this way and that, points for longevity etc? We have the perfect draw program. Everyone is exactly equal, everyone has exactly the same chance whether you are 17 or 71. It doesn't get any more fair than that. I apply for drawings but plan to hunt the general seasons. Winning a tag is just a bonus, and to me it is one that every one deserves an equal shot at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast