Thread: Some people must have a death wish...

Default Some people must have a death wish...

...or they just have mush between their ears.

So today I was at the south cushman handgun range. There were about 10 of us shooting when a truck pulls up, two guys jump out in what seemed like a big hurry. The passenger jumps out with a revolver in one hand and a small cardboard box the size of a popcan in the other. About that time we call the range clear. We all come back to the line, call the range hot and the guy rattles of a cylinder as fast as he can at the little box one handed, shakes his head and looks at the gun kinda funny. I start shooting, others to my right are shooting, I shoot about 4 rounds and all the sudden I see this guy heading down the range!! He was at the far left, about 30ft from me, there are two or three guys in between us, the rest of the shooters are on my right. I holler at the top of my lungs to the right and left "HOLD UP HOLD UP!!" then holler at the nitwit on the range "HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT THERE?!?!?!..." He stops, looks at me like I'm crazy shrugs his shoulders, waves his arms, I hollar at him "YOU WANNA GET YOURSELF KILLED!?!?!? THE RANGE IS HOT!!! GET OUTTA THERE!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!" I keep yelling at him as a hustles his skinny stupid butt outta there. Everyone else is eyeing this guy now and a few others are yelling I think. He goes back to his buddy. I'm standing there in shock along with the others, we're shaking our heads looking at each other like what is this guy doing?? Him and his buddy get in the truck and leave. wow....

Now these guys were a couple grayed haired guys, older than me I'm sure and I'm 50. I guess you just never know. Just because they have age doesn't mean they have wisdom. wow...

The scary thing is that if he thinks it's okay to walk down the edge of a hot range while bullets are flying, maybe he thinks it's okay to shoot if the range is clear and we're walking out setting targets! Thankfully, at least today, we didn't have to find out.

I think ignorance has no age barriers when it comes to safe firearm handling and shooting. It never ceases to amaze me how many so called accidental shootings occur when someone inadvertantly points a supposedly unloaded weapon at a loved one, or accidentally shoots someone while cleaning an unloaded weapon?? People laugh it off saying it could never happen to them, but the minute you let your guard down?? I'm a firm believer in safety courses for all ages.

My buddy was a range master and got shot once. If you watch people around you, you'll be very afraid because there's a LOT of nutty stuff going on that we're not seeing because we're busy shooting. Just last weekend a guy shows up with a semi-auto with a magazine in it and the action closed at Rabbit Creek. He had a semiauto pistol strapped on a leather belt over the outside of his coat too. The range master was VERY quick and on him but not until the guy's muzzle made a few passes our way with us wondering if we should hit the dirt or not! Jeez. I've seen people pointing pistols sideways (at others) trying to figure out the pistol several times.

I got zinged in the back with some shotgun ricochet by gomers shooting at stuff in the big gravel.

Be careful folks.

glad I made it out of there before I had to see that guy!
    On once saw a guy tell his two sons to get the guns out of the cars. The one boy came back with two pistols swinging em this way and that, pointing em all over. Hey dad I got the guns. Poor parenting as far as gun safety goes.
    That was my que to leave!

On the flip side my new .270 shot very very good. I am impressed with the tikka t3 ultra light.

Well I think you answered yourself with your first sentence with CUSHMAN RANGE. I know we are limited as to where to go for an actual range but I refuse to shoot there if there is anyone there but me after some of the crap I have seen go on there. For example this is the event that blew it completely for me. Last April about break up time there was quite a few people there 15 or so as it was the first warm day in a while. A group of thugs and yes I am calling them that purely based on their clothing what they were driving and how they were shooting ( pistol sideways and bump firing an AK literally), Well thug 1 busts out a 30 round mag out of his AK in about 3 seconds and was obviously hitting the snow about 10 feet in front of his target. Well after everyone is waiting patiently for about 10 minutes for these idiots to finish up the range goes cold well thug #1 slings his AK around his back and some one next to him a non thug tells him to leave the gun on the firing line. He looks at the guy and says " nah doo it aint loaded" well Thug 1 continues down range and falls on the ice and busts his but while all the while the round that was in the chamber shoots off into the air or woods or ground who knows. Someone could of gotten killed everyone starts flipping out on this guy rightfully so and they start thuggin out and yelling back and I thought a gun fight was going to break out for sure as some old man says he ought to kill him for being so dumb but someone ended up calling the cops and they fled before the cops got there. So long story short I will NOT go to that range If there are other people there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Well I think you answered yourself with your first sentence with CUSHMAN RANGE. I know we are limited as to where to go for an actual range but I refuse to shoot there if there is anyone there but me after some of the crap I have seen go on there. For example this is the event that blew it completely for me. Last April about break up time there was quite a few people there 15 or so as it was the first warm day in a while. A group of thugs and yes I am calling them that purely based on their clothing what they were driving and how they were shooting ( pistol sideways and bump firing an AK literally), Well thug 1 busts out a 30 round mag out of his AK in about 3 seconds and was obviously hitting the snow about 10 feet in front of his target. Well after everyone is waiting patiently for about 10 minutes for these idiots to finish up the range goes cold well thug #1 slings his AK around his back and some one next to him a non thug tells him to leave the gun on the firing line. He looks at the guy and says " nah doo it aint loaded" well Thug 1 continues down range and falls on the ice and busts his but while all the while the round that was in the chamber shoots off into the air or woods or ground who knows. Someone could of gotten killed everyone starts flipping out on this guy rightfully so and they start thuggin out and yelling back and I thought a gun fight was going to break out for sure as some old man says he ought to kill him for being so dumb but someone ended up calling the cops and they fled before the cops got there. So long story short I will NOT go to that range If there are other people there anymore.

geez, thats a pretty wild story, I have never had anything that weird happen at the Cushman range,............. well one time a moose walked across at the 300 yard line...........no kidding, right before hunting season, firing line about 1/2 full of guys sightin in........Man I kept waiting and no-one fired a shot........finally headed towards Northland Woods............!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR