Thread: Need Some help - Caribou Hunt 2011

Default Need Some help - Caribou Hunt 2011

I am interested in a fall Caribou hunt in 2011. I have two, possibly three, buddies coming up from the lower 48 to hunt with me. We are checking around various outfitters/etc. looking at our options to hunt Caribou. I recently (June '10) moved to Ft. Wainwright and tried to hunt in Chicken and Boundary this year but didn't have any luck. I would like give my buddies, as well as myself, a better chance at success if they travel up here. Any information you could provide would be great. Also, if anyone provides a militay discount please let me know (never hurts to ask!). We are curretnly looking at unguided hunts due to costs but are open to suggestions/other options. Thank you for your help.

Try a fly in trip out of Happy Valley... pretty reasonable cost last time I checked. I know Deltana Outfitters does them as well as full blown guided trips. Other outfitters fly out of Happy Valley too I just don't know their names at the moment...

Bad part is you're limited to 50# of gear on the fly out- with 3 people that shouldn't be an issue.

Several friends have done the unguided fly in with good success- saw a lot of animals and few other hunters.

Send me an email at stid2677@aol.com, I would be willing to help a soldier out with some recommendations.

Thanks for your service.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Just did a fly in trip out of Happy Valley in September with Mike McCrary of seventynorth.com. He runs a good operation, is a great guy to visit with, and has a long history of providing efficient, safe air taxi service for hunters. He also has more room on his plane for a bit more gear. I would start and end your search with Mike.

I'd fly to Kotzebue, and then get Northwestern air to fly you out, they do a fantastic job, and since the WACH is the largest herd in the state you probably will connect. if you want further info feel free to pm me, and no I have no affiliation with Northwestern, but they did a fantastic job for me two years ago and I always recommend them if asked.

There has been several guys posting successful bou hunts with 40 mile air out of Tok. Might be opportunity for a moose with them also. Check them out.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I would third Happy Valley. We did a trip out of there this year, saw many animals and had 6 guys harvest 6 animals in three days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdBCPmgXP_A

Won't go wrong with a 40-mile air hunt out of Tok, probably tough to combo that with moose because of regs tho. Most of the area you have to pick one or the other.....I believe. You will be limited to 1 bou a piece there, some of the other areas up north may have a more generous bag limit.

I know 40 Mile wont let new people book until 12/15 after their repeat customers get first pick of the litter so to speak. You can then take what is leftover.