Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: market for bear claws

Default market for bear claws

anybody who has some claws they want to sell i know an artist/craftsperson/knifemaker shop that would be interested in small quantities.
    i know they would pay a fair price, and they make some beautiful knives and might be into barter.
    PM me.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Black Bear claws only

Good deal, Dave, just wanted to reiterate it's black bear claws only in case that wasn't clear.

Funny , I was a trimming up some claws for a necklace...But ,indeed, I know I cant sell 'em..

Not bad 'eh? Clik the pik, it grows...
    To bad ya cant sell Grizz Claws......ole Dell Gue would needa to find a different way to make a living if he were here today.....~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I just can't believe the co chair of such an esteemed org is trying to entice folks to sell bear claws. Surely us hunters will kill every bear in the effort to sell claws for big money!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stranger, you need to check out the federal regs. If you took your bear under federal regs you are allowed to sell claws that are part of a "handicraft". Your necklace would be legally saleable.

Might help if you quoted a price, Dave.

Isn't this subject more properly in the swap and se..................ohhhhhhh.............forgot, you and Mark get special priviledges.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Hey Martentrapper -

Mike, I'll say this one last time. Give it a rest, no one enjoys your going after Dave or me when we post, and you turn what are just everyday postings into some kind of childish ranting that is taking away from what good you have to offer this forum.

Not only has it gotten old, it's now way past that. You're better than this.

geezuz, MT. go pound sand.
    if anyone here has BLACK bear claws i know a market and i can put you in touch.
    i am not brokering or trying to get "a cut".

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    some kind of childish ranting that is taking away from what good you have to offer
    I don't comment just because you or Dave "posts", Mark. I comment when your posts are hypocritical, or wrong, or contain false information. In this case, you had to comment yourself to correct the possible idea that Dave may have been looking for griz claws. My post also provided info for stranger, and anyone else taking griz under fed regs, that they CAN sell claw handicrafts. As well, I offered Dave the idea that offering a price might help get folks interested.

You are on record Mark, at the recent BOG meeting, stating bear claw sales may be a problem if they legalize snaring..........or something to that effect. It just seems hypocritical to me to use claw sales as a problem in one area, but then have your partner advertising for claws.

But this thread shouldn't be about BHA............Dave wants claws and that is perfectly legal. Black bear wise anyway.

Dave, could you give us an idea what claws might be worth? I assume the price isn't so high it would encourage illegal harvests........right?

What's the going rate for Black Bear Claws? I don't want to get took to the cleaners, not knowing.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I hope this fledgling market expands much in the way rock collecting has. We need more diversity in the marketplace here in Alaska.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Mike,

I knew Dave was only talking about black bear claws, just wanted to make sure others knew that too.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper
    You are on record Mark, at the recent BOG meeting, stating bear claw sales may be a problem if they legalize snaring..........or something to that effect. It just seems hypocritical to me to use claw sales as a problem in one area, but then have your partner advertising for claws.
    The above is completely false, Mike. In fact, we have been working on trying to find a market for black bear claws in order to give hunters a real incentive to take more black bears via hunting. That is something I've spoken to BOG members about both before and during the meeting. It came up in questioning too after my recent testimony. And Dave is following that up with his post here too.

Again, this crap is just getting old, Mike. And I can tell you honestly that the numerous pms I've received from members I don't even know are saying the same thing. Please, just give it a rest and this forum will be better for it.
    Sincerely,

Would a snared bear's claws be worth less than a shot bear's claws? Still trying to figure out this marketplace deal and how values are placed on commodities.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Hey Dave...

No good deed goes unpunished here, apparently <grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]

The above is completely false, Mike. In fact, we have been working on trying to find a market for black bear claws in order to give hunters a real incentive to take more black bears via hunting.
    numerous pms I've received from members I don't even know
    If my information concerning your testimony is incorrect then I apologize for the statement. Why aren't those folks you don't know PMing me........since I'm the offendeer?

Akres has a point. What is the going price for claws?

There is no set price for black bear claws per se, the market is brand new up here and I've heard very wide-ranging price estimates for front claws, depending on size and quality and how they were taken care of. From $5 per claw on up.

The end product involves some work, simmering in hot water to remove the sheath, clean it all out, whiten the bone part then typically glue the sheath back on. I would guess most folks would sell the claws raw as they have been removed at the joint, hair still on them etc. So take that into acct as to value.

Eventually we'll start seeing some necklaces and keychain fobs with real claws and we'll get a better idea what they are worth. Some folks I know have been selling fake claws to tourists for years...just what the market is for real ones we don't know yet.

Dave is just trying to help out for anyone interested in selling some black bear claws to a local artist/craftsperson. Like he said, pm him if interested.

Default move this back to hunting, please.

before i posted this in the hunting forum i checked the swap and sell rules/description.
    "Here's the place to find or sell Alaska outdoors gear."
    since this post is not offering to buy or sell any gear, and is more geared towards informing hunters of an opportunity, i put it in the hunting forum where it would get the most exposure.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    before i posted this in the hunting forum i checked the swap and sell rules/description.
    "Here's the place to find or sell Alaska outdoors gear."
    since this post is not offering to buy or sell any gear, and is more geared towards informing hunters of an opportunity, i put it in the hunting forum where it would get the most exposure.
    well ifn it won't move... there is ANOTHER Option.... lets make a deal.

Monty... can we have door number three? http://outdoorsdirectory.com/members.htm
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

jwolf

Sarcasm goes a long way in this conversation if one is keen enough to realize..

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    If my information concerning your testimony is incorrect then I apologize for the statement. Why aren't those folks you don't know PMing me........since I'm the offendeer?

Akres has a point. What is the going price for claws?

If you Google “black bear claws” there is lots of information on the price of bear claws.

For anyone wanting grizzly claws or black bear claws go to www.wildlifetaxidermy.com ,they sale cleaned claws of many sizes and ship ,there are no silly rules in canada for sale of legaly killed bears!!! wish they would adopt the same laws here.

jwolf

Well cause then you’d have people killing for claws uhhh.. You know, claws and deco work use to be the business of women.. Funny listening to men barter over and in re to such things..
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.Montana View Post
    For anyone wanting grizzly claws or black bear claws go to www.wildlifetaxidermy.com ,they sale cleaned claws of many sizes and ship ,there are no silly rules in canada for sale of legaly killed bears!!! wish they would adopt the same laws here.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast