Thread: Anyne having luck getting crab out of K-Bay??

Default Anyne having luck getting crab out of K-Bay??

I just spent the last two days down in homer hoping to pick up some crab well I pulled the pots after 5 hours soaking with cod and herring for bait and not a thing in either one of them. So I moved them to a different area and left them to soak all night and this morning I pulled them and they both had one a piece, Both keepers but two crab on an overnight soak seems a bit slow for me so I was just wondering if anyone else has been doing any good I seen a lot of pots out Hopefully some belong to you guys, and I hope you did better than me. If you did good what did you use for bait?

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Don't know about crabbing
    I went out of Homer fishing this Friday and did ok.Caught 2 kings, a dink (15 lbs) butt and a bunch of cod off of Peterson Point.It wasn't even too cold .Did put the power boat away today.....gonna be a long winter.Thank goodness the upper Kenai doesn't freeze up ,still have the drift boat handy.

i'm potless at the moment, but we are still getting 12-20 keepers per pot in my buddies pots over night soak, we rarely need to pull them both.
    3 miles past the can, 440'.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Homerdave what are you using for bait I was right there 3.2 past the can in that depth and got two was all mabye I used the wrong bait. I used salmon carcases this summer and did good but dont have any more so I cought some cod and used those but no luck.. I am going to be back on monday and hope I can get a few then I didnt even get enough for dinner:-(
    We did catch a bunch of snails though and I got to use my new Ace line hauler.. So much easier than by hand so it was not a total wasted trip and it was a nice day on the water

About a week ago I got 13 tanners all together, of which 6 were legal, right around the same area. I think I was in about 425 ft. of water, but don't know exactly how far off the end of the Spit I was, but about 3 miles---there were other pots in the area, but not many. I was using a few salmon carcasses, a couple of halibut carcasses and I think one pollock and it was about a 26 hour soak.

13 crabs.jpg
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Last time I was out I got 7 legals in a short 3 hour soak. It was getting windier so we pulled the pots and headed in earlier than originally planned. The trip before that had 13 keepers in @ 24 hr soak.Worked out good that trip with 3 of us in the boat.
    I have been using cod as hanging bait. I always add a bait jug with some ground up bait as well. Usually leftover herring bait and some other stuff with some pure herring oil added to the mix maybe 1/2 -1 cup per Gallon of ground bait. I bought a manual meat grinder that works perfect for making ground bait. I think this oily bait helps when all you have is cod for bait. I also make sure and use fresh caught cod and my ground bait is never old Stinky stuff either.Also helps get rid of the old herring or other butt bait loeftover in the freezer.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"