Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Bunnies moving in the valley?

Default Any Bunnies moving in the valley?

Got a new stoeger uplander yesterday, and I'm itching to use it. Never hunted this time of year, but something's telling me to head up that way. Has anybody been successful (I hunt around Houston).

I was out there today grouse hunting. I wasnt looking real hard for rabbits, but looking... didnt see any. Had the beagle out there a couple weekends ago. He had them up and going. I didnt shoot any. Just letting him have some fun. I did see some fresh fur from a dressed out one. Pretty white. Should be easy to spot right now.

I saw a mostly white bunny in Sutton last week. Not much help, but that's what I got.

Quote Originally Posted by lowxposure View Post
    Got a new stoeger uplander yesterday, and I'm itching to use it. Never hunted this time of year, but something's telling me to head up that way. Has anybody been successful (I hunt around Houston).
    What gauge? I've been eyeballing the .410 uplander. Btw, I don't have any intel on hare. I was at Buffalo Mine Road and didn't see any birds or hare.

Tim

Im going out tomarrow morning up to the burma road/Point Mac area for some bunnies. WIll let ya know how we did tomarrow. I will be taking my .22lr and my 12 guage but plan on using the .22lr for bunnies mostly. Just bringing the shotgun if we happen to run into some birds....then again if im feeling lazy I may just say screw it and leave the heavy shotgun at home lol.

Well we went out and hit up all over in Point Mac/burma area and didnt see a single Snowshoe. As a matter of fact we didnt see much of any thing! Was quiet the whole morning. Only thing we saw was 1 squirrel and heard a 2nd but no bunnys.

Im thinking it might be to the fact that it has been pretty the last few days before and yesterday it had warmed up quite a bit. We are ganna try next weekend problubly, hoping it will get good and crisp out again.

PM sent Allalaskan

PM sent back tailwind

We've got a crew of four or five that live in the woods lining our yard. Every morning from first light until about an hour later, and then again in the last hour or two of daylight we have at least two, sometimes four snowshoe hares in our yard. They're slowly turning white - their ears are mostly there, as are their feet, but their bodies are still quite brown. Anyhow, hunt early and late for the best results, though of course being out there more hours can up your odds as well.

I second that, every rabbit i've shot this year (5 total) has been within an hour of dark.

i hunted point mac this morning. i got one spruce hen and didnt see any rabbits.

Sorry for the delayed reply, first hunting buddy was born last Sunday. I bought a 12 guage with a 20" barrel, it's a gorgeous gun, but I still have yet to shoot it. We'll see. Probably gonna hit the woods this weekend.

Congratulations!!! On the gun and the hunting buddy.

/Users/Joe/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Sep 24, 2010/P9240059.JPG

shot these guys near lake loise this weekend.

here is the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

The farther you get from the valley the better. Girlfriend ,son and I went out today,took 11 white bunnies,saw at least 25. Some we passed on...some we just plain missed..Only head shots, and them twigs are good .22 deflectors.

Save some for me!

went hunting with granddad and my brother around big lake, if you go where the willow is thick where the fire came through you should have pretty good luck I shot 3 with my 20 GA my brother didn't get any, but he was only there about 1/2 the time, and grandpa got a shot at one, but he had painted his grouse feathers on his arrows red so he could find them in the snow, and it saw the flash, and jumped out of the way just barly in time, he got grazed, but he didn't get in the stew pot that day. I was about 30yards from the road, and my grandad was about 2 miless up the road and walking towards me. good hunting this time of year, they are turning pretty white so they are easy to spot with this last of snow.

I like sleeping in on the weekends then bunny hunting. Two trips so far with 3 bunnies total during the day. Lots more seen, some missed, two where my trigger locked up because the I opened the chaimber to check the round. I use my little dog though and let her do the dirty work! Don't need a freezer full and she is only good for a few hours. Looks to be a good season for us though with a start like this. Get out and you will find them. We all didn't put in the time and effort and to give away locations. Hell found a new spot this weekend when the buddy wanted to pull over and check it out. Dog kicked up bunnies instantly!

went out this morning stomping around hit a few places but the sign wasn't that great for hare or birds really... not like last year in the same places. I did see more canine prints than previous trips and due to their location not really thinking pets either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast