Thread: Grizzly or Brown Bear Hunt

Default Grizzly or Brown Bear Hunt

Hi my name is Steve, "HI STEVE", its been 6 days since I last pulled the trigger.

I will be the first to admit that I'm a huntaholic. Well, I still have an unfilled bear tag and the itch to fill it. Wanted to go to Cordova, but it looks like the ferry is not running there in Oct. Any forum members interested in trying for a bear before they go to bed??? Maybe some calling, have a foxpro. If there are any other huntaholics out there that wants to give it a try drop me a PM.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Hi my name is Steve, "HI STEVE", its been 6 days since I last pulled the trigger.

I will be the first to admit that I'm a huntaholic. Well, I still have an unfilled bear tag and the itch to fill it. Wanted to go to Cordova, but it looks like the ferry is not running there in Oct. Any forum members interested in trying for a bear before they go to bed??? Maybe some calling, have a foxpro. If there are any other huntaholics out there that wants to give it a try drop me a PM.

Steve
    LOL I AM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but you get to ask Kimberly.... HAHAHAH!!!!!!!! should have seen the look on her face when i told her i was headed to Nelchina.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Bears don't scare me, but angry wives sure do!!!!!! Let me know if you get a kitchen pass.

Steve
    Founding Member

You might want to follow some of the Tier II hunters a couple days after the season opens. There should be an awful lot of gut piles out there, so maybe finding a bear or wolf would be easier than normal. I'd offer to join you, but I'm planning to wait until early-mid November to chase caribou, and the bears will likely be winding down by then.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Bears don't scare me, but angry wives sure do!!!!!! Let me know if you get a kitchen pass.

Steve
    lol it is NOT quite that bad... but it has been a long season, and we are in the middle of trying to buy a house... so i will give her a break for some time.... but i would go in a heartbeat were it not for all she did and put up with while i was out all season.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

A friend just took a ferry ride from Whittier to Cordova this past week. I think the Chenega runs through October.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    A friend just took a ferry ride from Whittier to Cordova this past week. I think the Chenega runs through October.
    I will call Monday, I checked online and the schedule is blank for Oct. Thanks for the heads up, A Coho and bear combo sounds fun!!!!

Steve
    Founding Member

Neighbor Saw the same 3 brownbears not far from the house this morning again out duck hunting.. they are feeding on salmon carcasses.. 1 set are twins with out a mother.. probably 2 year olds..(not sure what happened) and the other is a tad bigger, like a 3 year old.. all prime fur, the smaller ones are like big fuzzballs, until they get wet..I have seen em a dozen times or so.. the twins mostly.. and the other one who I would assums is a juvenile male 2 times I think.. Last week in the evening I was calling in some ducks and out popped a brownie at 30 yards acorss the creek.. I was like ***>. it looked around and walked back in the tangles of alders choked along the stream. If I am not on base guiding my wife to a moose in the morning, I may go sit on the creek and snap some photos of the bears and do some duck hunting..

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    ".. probably 2 year olds..(not sure what happened)..."
    If they are "long" yearlings - will be defined as cubs and not legal. Not always easy to differentiate, especially with males.
    Joe (Ak)

Figured out the ferry thing. Here is what I propose, leave Valdez on the 23rd hunt using my Jet Ranger and stay in an Arctic oven with heater. Return to Valdez on either the 29th or the 31st. Should be able to bear hunt and try for some Coho. I have all the camping gear, you would only need your personal stuff.
    PM me if interested.
    Steve
    Founding Member

Huntaholic. I couldn't take off the week, but if you don't have luck and need someone to help lug out a 10 footer I'll come along for a longer weekend if you can give some notice so I can take off work

The ferry dictates the dates, sorry.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    If they are "long" yearlings - will be defined as cubs and not legal. Not always easy to differentiate, especially with males.
    Joe (Ak)

I know that.... I presume some one either DLM their mother or somethig else happened to it. Never actually seen the adult with them all fall.. I have seen HUGE tracks in the area.. same creek, same bend, just never witnessed the adult yet. I have taken several browns and grizz. If it isn't 8 foot or better, and has NO cubs with it..I wont shoot it. The one is bigger, but not mature.. I would say a 6 footer.. tops.. so I guess 3 years old, or 4 max.. but not the mom to the younger and smaller 2. but they hang together it seems. We'll see tomorrow I guess..

Hoytguy

I should have been clearer in the posting. The point wasn't to
    explain the regulations but rather that because of the over lapping weights of yearlings and two yearolds size (weight) may not be a reliable indicator of whether or not the animal is legal.
    Joe (Ak)

Would love to finally get to hunt with you but I can't do the days either. I only have a long weekend so will most likely head north.
    Good luck on finding a partner Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Would love to finally get to hunt with you but I can't do the days either. I only have a long weekend so will most likely head north.
    Good luck on finding a partner Steve.
    Good luck up that way J, make sure to take a CB to listen for the plow trucks.

Maybe, I will just go to the Denail Hwy and hang out at Alpine Creek lodge.

Steve
    Founding Member

Steve
    Cordova is on my list of places to see. Unfortuntately I leave for WY & SD on the 20th & won't be back until the end of the month.
    Good Luck with whichever route you chose.
    Gary

Good luck up that way J, make sure to take a CB to listen for the plow trucks.

Maybe, I will just go to the Denail Hwy and hang out at Alpine Creek lodge.

Steve
    leavng Wednesday after noon steve if you want to hop in.

meet on face book here

Steve, first, congrats on another outstanding season--glad your slide on Kodiak ended BEFORE the boulders.

I would LOVE to bear hunt around Cordova with you. In fact, I had actually planned a hunt out there around this time, but alas, life happens... Maybe in a few years...I have to get my sheep first.