Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Bow Hunting, have some questions...

Default New to Bow Hunting, have some questions...

So after reading this forum and talking to a few friends, I decided I really wanted to get into bow hunting. My super awesome girlfriend bought me a compound bow for our anniversary. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to explain to me what all I need now once I have my bow (sights, arrows, etc) and what kind or brand they recommend. I really want to get this thing set up so I can practice this winter.

Thanks for the help

-J.D.

Where are you located, JD? The best thing you can do is to take your bow into a local archery shop and have someone walk you through the options. I've gone through The Archer's Den in Eagle River and have been exceedingly pleased with their service, but there are other shops depending on where you're at. You'll get good suggestions on here as well, but nothing beats actually looking at and trying out the various products before you make decisions. On that note, you'll get better advice and service at the smaller, local shops than you will at Sportsman's Warehouse or by buying out of a catalog like Cabelas.

Im in South Anchorage. Thanks for the help. How much more expensive are those small archery shops? Are they comparable for the most part? I don't want to get a bunch of free help without buying something, but at the same time I don't want to get completely ripped either.

Thanks for the advice tho.

In my experience, the local shops are just as reasonably priced as the larger stores, and sometimes even more so. They know they have to keep their prices competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    Im in South Anchorage. Thanks for the help. How much more expensive are those small archery shops? Are they comparable for the most part? I don't want to get a bunch of free help without buying something, but at the same time I don't want to get completely ripped either.

Thanks for the advice tho.
    Full Curl Archery is a new archery shop in South Anchorage. Just south of Huffman on Old Seward I believe....

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

if you want to know almost anything there is to know about archery go to archerytalk.com. you will have to week through the post and byest opinions but that is the biggest source of info you are going to find on archery. they also have a enormase classified section where you can get anythign you want for your bow or shooting or anything. if you have any questions once you get on on there shoot me a pm mac87toy. hope you get what your looking for.

So after reading this forum and talking to a few friends, I decided I really wanted to get into bow hunting. My super awesome girlfriend bought me a compound bow for our anniversary. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to explain to me what all I need now once I have my bow (sights, arrows, etc) and what kind or brand they recommend. I really want to get this thing set up so I can practice this winter.

Thanks for the help

-J.D.
    Once you get set up with the basics may I suggest using the internet. It has a huge data base full of techniques products, how to articles before you know it you'll be fetching your own arrows and performing your own maintenance.
    I think its the ultimate way to hunt truly the sport of kings, to be able to close the gap on any animal is beyond belief. I hunt with both rifle and bow (bow preferred) and when I harvest an animal with my bow the satisfaction I get for the accomplishment of being successful is overwhelming, (no matter how big or small).
    Welcome to the sport of archery and good luck.

JD,
    Since you are in south Anch, go see Dave at Full Curl. He will treat you right and walk you through the process of getting set up correctly.

The single most important factor is setting up your bow for your draw length. From there you decide on a comfortable draw weight. Your draw length and weight will determine your arrow selection. Then you work on getting the rest and sight/peep set up.

Once the bow is set up for your body dimensions you work on mechanics. The heart & soul of archery is developing consistant form: Same anchor point, same release, same follow through. Every. Single. Time. Of course that's easier said then done, every single time, but that's the goal.

Go see Dave and you'll be well taken care of.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I went and talked to the guy at Back Country Archery. He was very helpful and informative. I also went and talked to a guy at Sportsman's who seemed to be very knowledgeable. I look forward to getting my bow fully set up so I can start practicing. I appreciate all the help guys. I plan on going shooting a few times a week this winter @ full curl since its less than 5 min from my house.

@wiso, The main reason I wanted to get into archery was for the thrill of the hunt and the stalk, and even if it was a small bou or moose, i would feel so much better knowing I got it with my bow

"The main reason I wanted to get into archery was for the thrill of the hunt and the stalk, and even if it was a small bou or moose, i would feel so much better knowing I got it with my bow"

And therein lies the heart and soul of hunting with a bow and arrow. You have my admiration!

A lot of budding bowhunters seem to get extremely oriented toward what their equipment can do for them, and their odds of success. It's really not very hard to buy "off the shelf" gear that will get you all the accuracy and performance you need...and more. From there, it's about bow practice and lots of it. Don't fall into the trap of looking for the next gadget or add-on to solve every little problem you encounter. Build your skills, and not your accessory list. Once the bow is in hand...after your accuracy is dependably good...you're about 20% of the way toward being a dyed-in-the-wool bowhunter. The real difference maker is how well you hone your actual hunting and stalking skills, to get inside an animal's "personal space". That takes years of hunting and practice. Kill any moose at 15 yards, or a caribou at 10 and you'll suddenly know what hunting with bow and arrow is about. Get close!

Well, the question that begs asking is, "How much does she love you?"

I mean, did she get you a:
    Mathews (wants to marry you and raise children)
    Hoyt (long-term relationship; marriage an option, but only after she learns whether you are trustworthy or not...)
    Bowtech (you are a fling only; keep your distance and don't become emotionally attached)
    Diamond (she is not willing to invest, emotionally or physically and found this bow at a garage sale)

Heehee

Taylor

Haha, she got me a Cabela's one made by Parker. I have no idea about the quality of the bow, but I know it won't be my last one

I am waiting on the sight/rest/arrows/release now, but I am excited to start practicing!

Now Marc, you should know that Bowtech is Diamond and Diamond is Bowtech. You also left out PSE, Bear and Parker.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Parker says she loves you but want to see how into this whole bowhunting thing you really are.

I have a Parker. Good little bow.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Haha that's cute! I just have to add one thing though, I believe you got the first two backwards! If she buys you a "Hoyt" she loves you the most
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Well, the question that begs asking is, "How much does she love you?"

I mean, did she get you a:
    Mathews (wants to marry you and raise children)
    Hoyt (long-term relationship; marriage an option, but only after she learns whether you are trustworthy or not...)
    Bowtech (you are a fling only; keep your distance and don't become emotionally attached)
    Diamond (she is not willing to invest, emotionally or physically and found this bow at a garage sale)

Heehee

Taylor
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

I don't want to get completely ripped either.
    In Anchorage, absolutely visit Full Curl and Back Country ... great service, knowledgable, lots of insight. Mention the "Archers' Den" and get a free 20% mark-up on all retail and services! Just kidding; everyone is trying to save a buck these days but the time these folks will save you in getting set up properly, first time ... it's well worth an extra dollar or two for "pro-shop" service.

I visited Full Curl Archery yesterday and purchased a bow. They are wonderful people to deal with and I will continue to support them in any way I can in the future. I don't believe they will steer you wrong.
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

i agree totally. I visited Full Curl wanting to shoot some arrows, and i found that they are extremely nice, and have good customer service. When i needed to adjust something on my bow, they were very detailed and helped in every way they could. I would highly recommend that place for the Techno Hunt, Target Range, or just gear in general...

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    "The main reason I wanted to get into archery was for the thrill of the hunt and the stalk, and even if it was a small bou or moose, i would feel so much better knowing I got it with my bow"

And therein lies the heart and soul of hunting with a bow and arrow. You have my admiration!

A lot of budding bowhunters seem to get extremely oriented toward what their equipment can do for them, and their odds of success. It's really not very hard to buy "off the shelf" gear that will get you all the accuracy and performance you need...and more. From there, it's about bow practice and lots of it. Don't fall into the trap of looking for the next gadget or add-on to solve every little problem you encounter. Build your skills, and not your accessory list. Once the bow is in hand...after your accuracy is dependably good...you're about 20% of the way toward being a dyed-in-the-wool bowhunter. The real difference maker is how well you hone your actual hunting and stalking skills, to get inside an animal's "personal space". That takes years of hunting and practice. Kill any moose at 15 yards, or a caribou at 10 and you'll suddenly know what hunting with bow and arrow is about. Get close!
    Sixty-one years at this bow-and-arrow hunting business (and moore than 30-years as an Alaska Registered Guide) taught me one thing above all others: your success will ALWAYS depend upon a CONSISTENTLY smooth release. Your knocking point is the rear sight so - - - keep that consistent, too. If you don't do that, my expectation is that you'l hang up your equipment before you give youself a chance to succeed.

GOOD LUCK !!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Now Marc, you should know that Bowtech is Diamond and Diamond is Bowtech. You also left out PSE, Bear and Parker.
    Isn't anyone going to mention HOWARD HILL equipment?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast