Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Vehicle laws

  1. #1

    Default Vehicle laws

    I am wondering if someone could either explain to me or point me in the right direction to what the laws are on vehicles. I'm mainly wondering about exhaust and what is and what is not legal. I am putting some money into my truck before I move but don't want to get up there and have it be in the wrong. Thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    If you are going to be moving to one of the cities, keep it stock OEM Replacements. If you are going to live elsewhere, you could easily get by with straight pipes. Just want to make sure you use Stainless Steel parts, as the cheapo steel and aluminized parts will rust out quickly. You also want to make sure your exhaust pipe is well clear of the passenger cab or cargo areas that you might be hauling animals in. Lots of folks up here poison themselves every winter with carbon monoxide, some on purpose, some on accident.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3

    Default

    For information specific to Anchorage (where most will at least pass through at some point on a periodic basis), check out the municipal code (http://library5.municode.com/default...ction=whatsnew), specifically Title 9 which referrs to vehicles and traffic.

    If you have specific ideas of what you are thinking of doing with your truck, go ahead and post it here and people might have more specific information that pertains to that. Where are you thinking of basing from? What kind of things are you planning to use the truck for?

  4. #4

    Default

    Thanks. I'm looking at flowmaster 40 series. Nothing overly loud but home in Maine it is borderline legal. Then again Maine has some really screwed up laws.

    Just want to make sure you use Stainless Steel parts, as the cheapo steel and aluminized parts will rust out quickly.
    Your not kidding. If it's the same stuff the state uses then ya everything goes to hell in a hand basket once they spray the roads.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Out2Pasture View Post
    Thanks. I'm looking at flowmaster 40 series. Nothing overly loud but home in Maine it is borderline legal. Then again Maine has some really screwed up laws.



    Your not kidding. If it's the same stuff the state uses then ya everything goes to hell in a hand basket once they spray the roads.
    We don't spray the roads with anything up here, at least not normally. We also use a lot less salt than most other places. The only real salt that you see here is the small amount that is mixed into the sand to keep the piles from freezing so the maintenance guys can load it into the trucks. Contrary to popular belief, I think we are better off up here than most other "winter" areas as far as rust issues. Having said that, it is still a good idea to go with the stainless stuff if you can.

  6. #6
    Member akhunter3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Out2Pasture View Post
    Thanks. I'm looking at flowmaster 40 series. Nothing overly loud but home in Maine it is borderline legal. Then again Maine has some really screwed up laws.


    You'll be fine with a Flowmaster 40 series. I know a couple guys who run them on their trucks, and I run a Flowmaster myself. Never had any issues with getting IM/Registration done.



    Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

  7. #7

    Default

    Thanks I just didn't want to spend the money then get up there next year and have to re-replace it.

  8. #8
    Member AkKevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canton, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Ya Alaska is a low salt use state.
    Kevin
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

  9. #9

    Default

    Yes, salt is a problem, but not like down south. Up here though, you do have to be concerned with the amount of Calcium Chloride that is used in summer, on dirt roads, parking lots and driveways. It is rough on the undercarriage, exhaust and paint chipped areas. Go with the Flowmaster and you will be just fine. When you get up here and find out for sure where you are going to light, you might find that you can take it loose at the connection and ram a steel bar through it and let it breath. Most guys and gals up here gut them out by this method.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member akhunter3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Yes, salt is a problem, but not like down south. Up here though, you do have to be concerned with the amount of Calcium Chloride that is used in summer, on dirt roads, parking lots and driveways. It is rough on the undercarriage, exhaust and paint chipped areas. Go with the Flowmaster and you will be just fine. When you get up here and find out for sure where you are going to light, you might find that you can take it loose at the connection and ram a steel bar through it and let it breath. Most guys and gals up here gut them out by this method.

    You magnaflow lovers When are you going to wake up and enjoy some tone?



    Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    32

    Default

    You will be just fine with the flowmaster set up. As far as the salt goes. We use none compared to the Maine salt licks. I remember all of the roads being white,and it was not because of the snow. Then by spring they turned brown from the rust falling from the wheel wells of your car. I lived in Maine 40+ years.
    FYI Fairbanks has done away with the IM testing. That means no vehicle inspections of any type. For now that is.

    Have a safe trip

  12. #12
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    Nobody else likes to hear your exhaust. It's kinda like the old adage, "no one else likes your dog". Leave it stock, please.

    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  13. #13
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Nobody else likes to hear your exhaust. It's kinda like the old adage, "no one else likes your dog". Leave it stock, please.

    Agreed.

    There are many more important things to spend money on up here. Even a semi-modified truck is best suited for road use. The guys that really off road their trucks have major modifications. Some even have to trailer them to the trailheads. Loud exhausts around hunting/fishing parking areas are frowned upon.

  14. #14
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,602

    Default

    If you are moveing to a town where exhaust pipes matter I would just stay where I was. I got tons of big bucks in my two wheel drive beater so to get off road some.Probably cost two grand to replace my rig
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •