Thread: ekberger: How is the Sako 375 H&H working?

Default ekberger: How is the Sako 375 H&H working?

ek,
    Please update us on the hunt and what developed on the dented 375 H&H cases.
    Thanks

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

One new development or should I say interesting finding and still some unfinished business on my part.

Through the Sako Collectors Club forum I "met" a gentleman who has this same rifle and caliber as mine. He was recently on an African hunt and shot a number of game with his own Sako .375 H&H Kodiak. After each shot he simply pushed in new rounds to fill his magazine. At the end of the hunt when we pulled the last 1 or 2 rounds that had been in the magazine since the beginning they too were all severely dented. He sent me photos of these unfired cases which were exactly what I had found, only his were worse probably because they had been in the magazine through extensive shooting and recoil episodes. I passed this information and photos on to Baretta along with my own on-going communications on this issues but they did not want to discuss it any further until I was able to demonstrate it with reputable factory loaded ammunition. This is my unfinished business because I've been hunting way too much this fall and haven't gotten around to it. I might add that the gentleman who sent me images of his dented cartridges was using Sako's published load data for 270 grain Barnes bullets. However, his too were his own hand loads. Baretta is inferring that the problem is due to hand loaded ammunition. I have all his load data, but again, Baretta does not want to discuss this further with me until I can demonstrate it with factory ammo. Quite frankly their attitude and some of the communications I have had with them have been disappointing to put it nicely. I have been searching for a factory load that most closely resembles my own hand loads. Federal makes one with a 300 grain Barnes bullet with published velocity in the range of what I have, however, the brass is nickel brass and I'm reluctant to use it as a comparator for two reasons 1) the hardness characteristics of this brass and 2) cost. However, I may simply have to eat the cost of factory rounds to get the baseline data I need.

That's it for now. I'll get back to the forum with my findings.

That's too bad Beretta has that attitude. You'd think a multi-million dollar company would be testing this in the lab so as to head off a problem. But its not the first time a company has hidden behind - "Oh that's just reloaded ammo & not factory". Give me a break.