Thread: Where to go for chrome salmon now

Default Where to go for chrome salmon now

Would like to have some fresh caught salmon for dinner this coming week. Besides the Kenai River and saltwater kings, where do I have the best chance of catching a chrome salmon or two this time of year? Was hoping not to have to drive too far from Anchorage/Eagle River. Any super late runs anywhere?

As always, thanks for any and all replies.

Sorry but you're goona have to re-think your strategy. The kenai or the salt is the only place you're likely going to find chrome fish. Silvers will be in the kenai but the season closes on nov 1 if i recall correctly. Winter kings or kenai silvers, that's about it.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

chromers in the kenai today above bings.

Plenty of chrome kokanee in any one of several dozen local lakes

Is snagging at the beach in Seward an option for chrome now? (technically salt water, but wading)
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I'd look no further than New Sagaya

Oregon or Washington would be high on my list for Chromers this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    chromers in the kenai today above bings.

how do you fish for silvers on the kenai? flossing like with the reds? i'd goto bings to get into some silvers

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    how do you fish for silvers on the kenai? flossing like with the reds? i'd goto bings to get into some silvers
    Flossing does work. Should be easy to sight fish them right now with low, clear water. They will also take flash flys, ESLs, any kind of maribou fly, vibrax and bait. Check regs for restrictions
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

The best way I have found is to toss large articulated ESL's or large Dolly Lamma's on the fly rod.
    I find it works much better than chucking spinners and kwikfish.
    At least in the middle. The HO's are hit so hard by the guides in September that they shy away from hardware.
    October might find hardware working better with the decrease in pressure.

Here's a few HO's caught last month on dolly lamma's.

I am getting hungry Dave
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys!!! Guess I need to gas up the car and go that extra mile the next couple of weeks. But Oregon or Washington?? Goofball! Ha!

Well you can fish at bings from the bank or walk in by dots or a little furhter up to some good holes. But a boat would make life a lot better. we tossed flesh flies but I saw some people tossing vibrax also, really you just have to know were they are holding and fish it.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Well you can fish at bings from the bank or walk in by dots or a little furhter up to some good holes. But a boat would make life a lot better. we tossed flesh flies but I saw some people tossing vibrax also, really you just have to know were they are holding and fish it.

if thats the case, anyone have room?

They were definitely in above Bings a couple weeks back. Not sure about now. Had limit in morning and then trout fished all afternoon. Great day on the river.

Most of the coho in the middle are now darker fish. I would expect a push of chrome fish to show again before to long but they are not there right now. Chrome fish can still be found in the the Upper however and it is much easier to fish without a boat than the middle this time of year with the low water and the highway running next to it. Beats sitting at home anyway.

Some really nice pics there Drifter016. Good insight on using various flies but I will add that there is a reason you see the "guides" chucking spinners & plugs. It is because it works. Each there own is my thought on what to use to catch coho as they are a pretty aggressive fish all things considered. Along with the flies that were recommended a size four or five vibrax spinner in orange, chartuese, pink, blue, or green among other colors will get the job done for those spinner chuckers. If you do give the Upper or the Upper Middle a try remember that it is single hook only.

One last thing. I just wanted to point out that the comment made about the "pressure from the guides" was pretty lame IMO. If you are out fishing you are part of the crowding issues that you bring up. Guides, non guides, residents, or non residents are all part of the total picture.

Multiple hooks are allowed from the mouth up to the Upper Killey through November 30.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Yep. trebles are allowed below the Upper Killey River. That's why I posted single hooks only in the "Upper Middle".

Parked by the highway and walked in to a couple of holes on the upper river last Sunday. Looks to be a good number of fish around. Kept two chrome silvers and been eating fresh fish all week! Yum! Bears are out, be careful.