Thread: cold pups

Default cold pups

I spent a couple of hours up on Murphy Dome this afternoon and it got pretty stinkin cold by the time the sun went down. (Report: saw several trucks and 3 ptarmigan, dumb dog flushed them too far out ahead... trainer kicks self for 27th time this season). When I parked at 4:00, it was a balmy 17 degrees F on my truck thermometer. Two hours later, I returned with frozen beard and fingers to find it 6 degrees. I'm not so concerned about my beard, but at what point do I need to start taking extra precautions for my dogs? Do the booties work and at what temperature do they become necessary? Will a neoprene duck vest tear up in the snow and blueberry bushes, and if not, is it warm enough for a dog in winter?

I hunt with a lab and a jack russell, but I assume the little one will begin staying home pretty soon. It's already tough on his stumpy legs to make it through the drifted snow. Therefore my question is mostly about the lab... she doesn't seem to mind the cold, but I'm sure it's something to be concerned about, right?

I guess as a follow-up, at what temperature do I need to personally stay inside and forget the ptarmigan? I'm new at this cold weather business.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Well, I'll hunt my Brittanys down into single digits, but I do keep a sharp eye on them to determine if they are cold. They never seem to get real cold because they hunt so hard and are on the move all the time, but you have to watch them closely just the same. I won't stay out if it drops below zero. I'd leave your JRT at home. Sorry you didn't get any birds.

Jim

For me, I hunt in any weather and temp. For your lab, below zero is a good stopping point.

Thanks for the replies. I found a good thread on the dog training forum that had a bunch more information on this very topic. I arrived in town on opening day of duck season and I was hunting before I even unloaded my trailer, and I have found you folks to be truly invaluable for figuring out how to safely and legally hunt around here. Arriving on such short notice didn't give me much of a chance to find anyone in person to tell me about grouse or cold weather, so I really do appreciate you guys (and gals, I suppose) being so forthcoming with information. Perhaps my next thread will be a poll for good ideas for my book
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.